Baffle keeps flipping backwards

How do I keep the top baffle from flipping backwards? I’ve noticed higher than normal oil temps and have found the the top baffle is flipped backwards. Reached under the cowl and fixed it but it was flipped backwards again after I landed. It is a J Model. Is it time to replace them or does anyone have any tricks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's probably too small, then, if the cooling air is blowing it back.   I had the same problem and bought a roll of new baffle gasket material and cut them all about 1/2" (or so, iirc) wider than what they were, and it solved the problem.  Now they lean foward, inflate against the cowl and don't blow back.   My CHT and oil temps improved significantly after that.

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 2

MS has a baffle guy...

He has incredible knowledge regarding materials, manufacturing, and installation and their effects on CHTs...

The gap that occurs when the seal folds out of the way... allows so much air to escape, the pressure goes away, and the air stops flowing through places like the oil cooler... like it’s supposed to...

@GEE-BEE for Guy Ginby aka baffle guy... :)

Baffles folding over are typical of age...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q="Guy ginby"&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

Guy has shown some installations around here... pretty easy for a mechanic to install...

A touch more challenging for a hangar elf...
guy has his stuff listed for sale on the internet... under somebody else’s website... not directly.

PP thoughts only, not a parts salesman or mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

Most likely the cowling folded the baffling and kinked it, you’ll most likely have to replace.

Mine was in pretty good shape, I would replace the baffling as it looked tired or once kinked, I’ve read how great Gee Bees product is so I purchased and installed, I keep a chart of my temps, My recent tests reveal a 15* reduction in my chts which we’re not to bad, that’s an astounding result. 

If your cowl is like mine it needs some work and may be a factor. Mine has the stress cracks on the top and I can see it expands when at cruise speed, but not much. I bought some carbon fiber and have been rounding up other supplies like the vacuum system, and this winter I plan on redoing the old improperly done reinforcements that are peeling and cracking on the bottom of the upper cowl.  There is a very well written and detailed thread by @jetdriven from a few years ago that I am using as my guide.

+1 on the new baffle seals by @GEE-BEE, this will fix your problem 100%

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 6:21 PM, GEE-BEE said:

It’s just the best material 

I stock three thickness .

cut to your spec or requirements 

I include firesleeve and hump hose for your upper breather for that finished look

the heat shrink secures and prevents wicking .

E9865213-437D-44B2-9D75-11F39B02D8C3.jpeg

B28CF0F7-F20D-4494-9DD4-F8DE261531B7.jpeg

I have not been back to the hangar to take the cowl off.  I do know i have the silicon seals already in place but i have no idea which thickness.  Why would I pick a thin one Vs a thick one?  What are the advantages and disadvantages?