Prop Dynamic Balancing?

corn_flake

I have not used him but when I did it years back it was the best $200/$250 I ever spent on my airplane. The difference in smoothness is fantastic. Let them know your typical cruise settings so they can target that range for the least vibration.

-Seth

1 hour ago, corn_flake said:

I'm considering dynamic prop balance for my Mooney to reduce vibration.  Has any one here on MS used Jim Fackler from KCCB?  Any feedback?  

Funny, last week I went back through my old PM's to find the contact info of the guy that @Niko182 used, it was Jimmy. I was planning on calling Jimmy this week to arrange a time for him to do my plane.

On 7/27/2020 at 10:38 AM, corn_flake said:

I'm considering dynamic prop balance for my Mooney to reduce vibration.  Has any one here on MS used Jim Fackler from KCCB?  Any feedback?  

I contacted Jim on Monday and he worked me into his schedule, meeting me at KFUL this morning. I've never really thought my plane had too much vibration but have wanted to have this done for awhile. I don't think you are going to find someone more knowledgeable about dynamic prop balancing. Mine started out at 0.49 and when he was done it was 0.03. Running it on the ground it feels much smoother, the biggest difference on the ground was when he told me to pull it back to idle. Normally with it idling at 600-630 rpm it is rough and will rattle you around a little, now at 600-630 rpm it is smooth. I can't wait to fly it and see what a difference it makes.

He said it usually takes about 1 1/2-2 hours. After an hour and a half he had it dialed in and then removed the spinner to safety wire the screws holding the weights on. With the spinner off he saw that there were weights on the spinner bulkhead which have probably been there from day one. Rather than leaving it as is, he removed those off the bulkhead, put the spinner back on, and started over again so that it would be done without weights on the bulkhead.

When he was done he printed off the complete report and went over it with me, explaining the different numbers on the report and the things it says about the prop and the engine. To top it off, I had mis-read his text message about the rates. I thought it was an hourly rate but it is a flat rate. I was expecting $3-400 for the job, it was only $180. He said he does an flat rate because he just wants the job to be done right, regardless of how long it takes him. He doesn't want to feel rushed by a customer to finish (to save them money) or have someone think he is dragging out the process (to make more money). If you want to fly it to him at KCCB it is $160, the extra $20 is for his traveling to me at KFUL, not sure if he charges more/less depending on how far he's traveling.

He said it should not need to be re-balanced until either the prop or engine are overhauled.

Bottom line, Jim is great and I would refer anyone to him. I will provide more feedback after I get a chance to fly it, most likely Saturday. After the ground runs I'm fairly certain I am going to be wishing I had this done a long time ago.

• Like 3

I also need someone in the Southeast. My new IA filed out a small spot on one blade, it ain't as smooth as it used to be. My previous IA could do it, but he retired, turned off his phone and doesn't answer email . . . .