LSA Plane and Instructor in Dallas Area

A person I know would like to solo a plane but we are not sure he can pass the visual acuity test on the medical. But he has an unrestricted licenses in TX. So we are thinking LSA would be a good start. But we cannot find an LSA instructor and Plane near to him.  Addison/Mckinney area (NE Dallas). Any leads out there?

4 hours ago, PMcClure said:

A person I know would like to solo a plane but we are not sure he can pass the visual acuity test on the medical. But he has an unrestricted licenses in TX. So we are thinking LSA would be a good start. But we cannot find an LSA instructor and Plane near to him.  Addison/Mckinney area (NE Dallas). Any leads out there?

I have a  soda, failed the eye test i one eye, I went up with an examiner from Philly, with the Statement on Disability Waiver for my eyes Im good, when I get my medical I just deny the eye test portion. Tell you friend not to give up.

• Like 1

The situation is a little complicated. Best corrected vision is 20/60-20/70 under ideal conditions. He doesn’t want to get a rejected medical and just want to solo for now. That is why we started investigating lsa. Only found tail draggers and 172s with an instructor. Have an instructor willing to work with him but no plane. If anyone knows of a rental 152 or other option, let me know. Thanks for any input.

On 7/27/2020 at 6:02 PM, PMcClure said:

The situation is a little complicated. Best corrected vision is 20/60-20/70 under ideal conditions. He doesn’t want to get a rejected medical and just want to solo for now. That is why we started investigating lsa. Only found tail draggers and 172s with an instructor. Have an instructor willing to work with him but no plane. If anyone knows of a rental 152 or other option, let me know. Thanks for any input.

I know you didn’t ask for advice on this, but I’d like to recommend your friend discuss this with an AME that specializes in difficult cases.  I wouldn’t recommend going for the exam at this point but rather a consult.  I would like to recommend your friend reach out to a local (To me) AME named Dr Bruce Chien.  He has a website www.aeromedicaldoc.com that advises he is not taking patients but he does do some consult/guidance if you fill out the contact form on his site. Id like to see your friend obtain a medical, even if it’s with an SI or SODA if it is at all possible.  

Full disclosure, I did see Dr Bruce due to a diagnosis I had many years ago that I needed to address to truthfully answer my IACRA form.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss this further with me. 

Thank you to everyone who responded. Update below:

The 150 at McKinney is a tail dragger, He was told it is not eligible for LSA training for that reason. (Is that restriction true?)

I have passed all this information on to my friend for review. He is considering which path to take. In the meantime he is continuing to follow his passions and I hope flying will be one of those. 

45 minutes ago, PMcClure said:

The 150 at McKinney is a tail dragger, He was told it is not eligible for LSA training for that reason. (Is that restriction true?)

I have passed all this information on to my friend for review. He is considering which path to take. In the meantime he is continuing to follow his passions and I hope flying will be one of those. 

Hi Paul,

He could try Thrust Flight at ADS.  They have a fleet of Sport Cruisers

https://www.thrustflight.com/private-sport-pilot/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PMcClure said:

I am not so sure about the taildragger comment.

What is a light-sport aircraft?

A light-sport aircraft is defined as:

• 1,320 pounds maximum takeoff weight for aircraft not intended for operation on water; or
  • 1,430 pounds maximum takeoff weight for aircraft intended for operation on water.
  • A maximum airspeed in level flight with maximum continuous power (V H) of not more than 120 knots CAS under standard atmospheric conditions at sea level.
  • A maximum seating capacity of no more than two persons, including the pilot.
  • A single, reciprocating engine.
  • A fixed or ground-adjustable propeller if a powered aircraft other than a powered glider.
  • A nonpressurized cabin, if equipped with a cabin.
  • Maximum airspeed of 120 knots.
  • Fixed landing gear, except for an aircraft intended for operation on water or a glider.
  • Fixed or repositionable landing gear, or a hull, for an aircraft intended for operation on water.
  • A maximum stalling speed or minimum steady flight speed without the use of lift-enhancing devices (V S1) of not more than 45 knots CAS at the aircraft's maximum certificated takeoff weight and most critical center of gravity.