Line-Employee Screw Ups (Fuel Cap Story)

AlexLev

Had a unique experience at a pretty popular chain of FBOs yesterday. Stopped in for a break on a 4-hour flight home, asked for a top off, grabbed their crew car...on the way back, the CSR casually mentions "the line guy said to check your left fuel cap."

I go out to the plane and see this:

1094546409_ScreenShot2020-07-27at8_44_50AM.thumb.png.8fd49b8ee981eb0693b30643324c480a.png

I try moving it and the arm portion sticking up is pretty much stuck. I am concerned that I'll break something if I try to force it any further, so I go back to the CSR -- the two line men come out to the plane. One guy tries blaming it on the "older fuel caps." That pisses me off - are you kidding me, buddy?

I tell them - it's an expensive part, if they break it, they fix it. Eventually and reluctantly, they called a mechanic out. I'm sitting and waiting. A few times, I notice the line guys coming up to try to fix it (remove the stuck cap that's probably cross threaded) on the plane. I immediately come out there to watch. The third time they do this, I ask the CSR to not have them work on the plane without me being present. As I walk over, he cheerfully exclaims that he got it off.

I don't really share his joy at this point and go to examine the cap. It looks like it's fine. There was a slight bend in the metal piece underneath (not on the cap but the part it threads into), but it didn't look significant. I told them I'd have my mechanic take a look at the next service cycle if it was and left it at that. He apologized, said he learned a lot and I departed, a little over an hour delayed.

So what are your story of line employees screwing up? Did they take responsibility? How did it get resolved?

Edited by AlexLev

I usually ask then to just set the fuel caps back in the holes and don't try to close them. They rarely listen. I've found my caps in the same position.

The same with the oil fill. Actually, it has been years sense an FBO would add oil. 

Maybe if we put a piece of tape or paint on the cap and plane that indicated the proper alignment it would help stop that.

• Like 2

When I was flying a Citation the line guy didn't even put the cap back on.  I was watching the fueling during cockpit stuff and watched him drive off without putting cap on.

I calmly walked into the office and said the fueler didn't put the cap back on, the no response shrug is when I lost my temper.  This was 20 years ago.  So the stupidity and laziness isn't a new development.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mark89114 said:

When I was flying a Citation the line guy didn't even put the cap back on.  I was watching the fueling during cockpit stuff and watched him drive off without putting cap on.

I calmly walked into the office and said the fueler didn't put the cap back on, the no response shrug is when I lost my temper.  This was 20 years ago.  So the stupidity and laziness isn't a new development.

So, we are mad because they do put them on and you are mad because they didn't put them back on.

I guess it sucks to be line guy...

Wouldn't you catch it during pre-flight inspection?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

One of my line items on my before starting checklist: “check fuel and oil caps”. Unfortunately the mistake that caused me to add it wasn’t the line guy’s.
  • Like 4

I was a line guy for well over ten years, and it was amazing how many times pilots with crappy equipment that broke while we were doing our thing would try to blame it on us vs their lack of care for their airplane. 

All that being said, I have seen some line guys do some very stupid things, both when I was working as one, and as a flight crew member. 

• Like 4

Prior to getting bladders, my original caps were put on incorrectly quite often if I wasn't able to be there to do it myself.    The new caps are actually one of my favorite things about the bladder system (not trying to spark a bladder war I promise). 

The worst offense had the caps on so crooked that no one could have thought it was correct.  Took about 4 drains of water out of it the next morning.  That was one of the last times someone else put them on lol.  No other stories here other than always being fearful when it is being towed of course.

-K

+1 for doing it yourself...

Mostly to avoid Jet-A getting in there...

Often to get the right amount in both sides...

Not so much for any other reason...

Sometimes the caps are tight depending on who did the maintenance at the last annual...  a bit of tightness... leads to more strength being used...

So... it’s not just aviation’s linemen... The ordinary gas station gets the same level of oversight...

PP thoughts only, not a lineman or mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Signature at KEYW improperly installed my fuel cap and the tank ended up with lots of water in it. I found it on the ground during preflight. It had bound up like in your photo. Some time in the next few weeks, the lug physically broke off that fuel cap and I blame the stress from improper installation for it. 

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

+1 for doing it yourself...

Mostly to avoid Jet-A getting in there...

Often to get the right amount in both sides...

Not so much for any other reason...

Sometimes the caps are tight depending on who did the maintenance at the last annual...  a bit of tightness... leads to more strength being used...

So... it’s not just aviation’s linemen... The ordinary gas station gets the same level of oversight...

PP thoughts only, not a lineman or mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Just as a note, didn't we have a member here who didn't order fuel and ended up with Jet-A that was intended for a King Air because of a swapping of tickets?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

One of my line items on my before starting checklist: “check fuel and oil caps”. Unfortunately the mistake that caused me to add it wasn’t the line guy’s.

I resemble that remark, during my training. 

I resemble that remark, during my training. 

Coincidentally, after 30 years of flying last week I forgot to lock the gas cap. I was distracted by the two airplanes behind me waiting to refuel in the self-serve and simply did not check. Shortly after takeoff I look out the left wing and see the gas cap precariously moving and thought it would surely depart. Came back around and landed and thankfully the cap was still there. BTW, I carry a spare gas cap and though for sure this would be the day I need it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, Hector said:

Coincidentally, after 30 years of flying last week I forgot to lock the gas cap. I was distracted by the two airplanes behind me waiting to refuel in the self-serve and simply did not check. Shortly after takeoff I look out the left wing and see the gas cap precariously moving and thought it would surely depart. Came back around and landed and thankfully the cap was still there. BTW, I carry a spare gas cap and though for sure this would be the day I need it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only reason that cap didn't fly off is it KNEW you had a spare on-board!:D

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, FloridaMan said:

Probably better to have it fly off than to beat up your wing while tethered to the chain. 

Interesting, you still have a chain?  Many of the early ones were removed...  AD I think about the chain tangling the float?

Replacement tethers (big word :)) are made of some polymer material...

The rubber piece is a slight bit better for contact with the paint...

Not very effective since the guy handling the fuel nozzle has a better chance at saving the paint...

getting the rubber tethers probably requires some tiny pieces of hardware to retain them...

Our fuel cap guy @OSUAV8TER might have some insight here...

Best regards,

-a-

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

Not very effective since the guy handling the fuel nozzle has a better chance at saving the paint...

To protect the wing from the nozzle I bought a large-ish antistatic soldering mat. Pretty sure I got the idea here, folks were buying two-packs of baking mats on Amazon and gifting them to each other. See here.

• Like 1

Well, I have a story...  Was flying a Lear 31 with a senior captain.  He stayed outside with the aircraft to monitor the fueling.  I went in and paid the bill.  It was a dead head leg home and I was to fly left seat back.  I come out after paying the bill and the Senior captain says " we are all set, hope in the left and lets go"

I get in the left seat, we fire up, taxi out an take off.  At about 250 knots I start to feel a rumble in the control column.  I pull the power back and it goes away as we slow.  I tell him to tell departure that we need to return to the field but there is no emergency.

Upon landing, as I suspected, the fuel door was left open and the cap was dangling by the chain.  Beat the hell out of the fuselage.  Company blamed me because I was PIC for the leg.  I guess it was my fault.  Maybe that's why i dont believe ANYONE anymore when it comes to airplanes!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1