Fly Garmin Outage

The FlyGarmin.com AP is down and it has been for more than a day now.  If you are counting on a database update before your next flight, you may be SOL...  Here's a link to the status updates:

FlyGarmin Status Updates

So, if I remember correctly, a GPS with an expired database may be used for enroute IFR as long as there is a cross reference to a current set of charts but MAY NOT be legally used for navigation for instrument approaches.   CFI's in the group, is this correct?

Side question:  in the case of the Garmin GTN 650 / 750, does anyone know what time period after the database expires these GPS's will still load an approach?  Academically speaking, of course.

Alex

Yeah, they are fighting a ransomware attack. 

https://mooneyspace.com/topic/35157-whoops-ransomware-at-garmin/

My understanding is that the AFMS controls your discretion in this area. I believe that all current Garmin navigators require a current navdata database to be used under IFR. 

I'm not aware of a GTN cutoff date for loading approaches. The GTN units will stop displaying chart images after a period of time, but you can still load an approach for training under VFR as long as it's in the database.

ETA: Here's my AFMS guidance about navdata, and the expiration chart from the pilot manual. 

expiration.png

afms.png

Sounds like WingX could make a viable independent back-up to your big G database challenge...

The most simple level costs about $1....

A full on database with IFR procedures costs a few dollars more...

Putting the blue dot on your IFR plates is even more costly...

Something to keep in mind if your iPad app is also affected by the Big G ransomeware attack...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, alextstone said:

Side question:  in the case of the Garmin GTN 650 / 750, does anyone know what time period after the database expires these GPS's will still load an approach?  Academically speaking, of course.

I just saw a Garmin webinar about database updates two days ago (part of the whole "Spirit of Aviation" week done by EAA in lieu of Airventure).

The Garmin webinar said all navigation data is unreachable after 180 days.

• Like 1

Fly garmin worked just fine for me today.  updated 2 tablets a phone and my gdl39.

Connect remains down, which is really pissing off the wife. seriously, i never knew how much she liked that app.

Garmin, if you know what's good, you'll prioritize Connect.

Edited by McMooney

I got a status update this morning that fly.garmin and pilot data services were down again at about 9:15ET, then back up about 10:30. I suspect they now have mitigation in place and are switching back to primary production.