Importing a Polish Acclaim

Mike A

I currently have no means or intention of doing this (bored on a Friday), but I like to keep up with the Mooney market and have noticed this one on Controller for a long time located in Poland:

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/189799457/2008-mooney-acclaim

Doesn't seem like a terrible deal, includes delivery to the homeland, and with its time on the market I assume there is some wiggle room on that price.

Hypothetically, what am I looking at having to do in order to get this reregistered in the US of A, outside of normal purchase considerations of the same plane already US registered  

www.plane4you.eu
contact@plane4you.eu
+48 515 626 410

Taxes Price + VAT
Worldwide delivery possible
All documents since new

We offer this aircraft as exclusive broker - contact us for any questions
Aircraft Subject to Prior Sale or Removal from Market without Notice
Specification Subject to Verification by Purchaser
Specification based on information from Owner and documents from CAMO and AMO organizations

WHY SHOULD YOU BUY THIS PLANE?
Great performance
Very good technical and visual condition
Perfect plane to fast flying in VMC/IMC weather condition

First of all no waas, no Ads-b and close to 1700 hours. The price does not include VAT which is a heafty 23%. I don't know if you have to pay this if its being exported to the US.

That being said, wouldn't it be great to fly it back to the U.S. with a knowable ferry pilot?

First of all no waas, no Ads-b and close to 1700 hours. The price does not include VAT which is a heafty 23%. I don't know if you have to pay this if its being exported to the US.
That being said, wouldn't it be great to fly it back to the U.S. with a knowable ferry pilot?

I don’t believe you would pay VAT if exporting to US; based on turning in receipts when exiting the EU and getting a full refund of VAT paid.
Lack of ADS/B is a simple fix for a G1000 plane- all its needs is a GMX-345R installed. Lack of WAAS only adds 1K to include the built in GPS board in the transponder. Many non-WAAS G1000 Mooney’s are flying here in the US now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

VAT. is not payable if it is exported to the US.

Make sure the airplane currently has a US Export Certificate of Airworthiness

Make sure the logs are complete and reflect the US Export Certificate of Airworthiness

You will not be able to register the airplane until the FAA receives notice from Poland that it is de registered.

To get a US Airworthiness Certificate it will have to go through a conformance inspection.

Your best course is to go through a MSC that has experience in conformal inspections with the FAA or a DER.

Expect this to be at least a 45 day process.

• Like 1

I looked at this plane too, several times in fact. It has been listed for years on and off. 
the price listed includes delivery and no vat is required in the us. 
the import inspection, tail number change, adsb and waas upgrades make it less attractive price wise. 
also, hard to really inspect that far away, and I have a feeling the picture aren’t current...

Also, just to clarify, because some are have been confused by the “waas for adsb” an actual waas. (Only as it pertains to a g1000)

adsb requires a waas signal, but if you add the feature to transponder in a g1000 you do not get waas gps capability, you only get it for the adsb.
The upgrade for gps waas is $15-$25 k depending on how you source the parts. 
you have to replace the Gia63’s with Gia63w’s.
This is about $1,500 to $2,500 labor and the rest parts. 

Wont argue its necessity, I required it.
I can also tell you it adds most, if not all of the cost of upgrade, to the value of the plane. 
people like to knock the old g1000, and I know they are air frame tied, upgrade options is limited, and all the new independent boxes have quicker and more features, but the g1000 legacy is still an amazing platform. 
Most of my experience with people denigrating them, have never owned one with the system. 
I do cede the point that a guy with 30 of years experience staring at a six pack will probably be more proficient there, but it isn’t because the g1000 is inferior. 

• Like 1

Geez nice plane oops. NO ADSB. NO WASS 3700 hours, 1600 since OH.

Plane $ 270,000

ADSB $ 8500

WAAS if available $=30,000 going up

Therefore $ 309,000 + plus unexpected for high time Acclaim, low time for our older planes but high for a acclaim, plane does look gorgeous 

Assume useful load 900

Plane has its share of negatives reason it’s been on market over a year?

Expecting is to add WAAS to this bird is unrealistic, that ship has sailed leaving only the possibility of salvage GIA63W's which I can't imagine being very likely. GIA63W will become plentiful the day people start upgrading to the current GIA64's as part of NXi upgrade along with their Nxi GDU upgrade. If Mooney ever goes down that path someday, then planes such as this that missed the chance for GIA63W will have a second chance to upgrade relatively inexpensively with used GIA63W or leap to current technology of Visual Approaches,  FS-510 support, a vertical profile display, split screens, and an HSI that includes a moving map etc available as part of a NXi upgrade.  But seeing Mooney certify NXi  as an update seems like only a pipe dream at the present time.  

This Acclaim does have some nice options like the FIKI and active traffic.

Another thought is that this plane may appeal more to non-us pilots where GPS approaches aren't common. There are lot of areas still devoid of GPS approaches, arrivals, departure and airways. For example Mexico just got their first GPS approaches last fall/winter and only a handful of airports with them. 

Gia63w’s are really not that hard to find, they should be priced between 7,000 and 10,000 depending on condition and if they are tagged. 
I have done it on two mooney’s.

its a few hours of labor if you have the additional waas antenna already like I did for the adsb, and a few more if you don’t, plus the cost of the antenna. 

even if you find ones that aren’t operable, garmin will rebuild for 1,500-2,500.

It isn’t a cheap endeavor, but the value will be realized in the plane.  First two questions every single caller had about planes when selling “any damage history”?, and “does it have waas”?

for the record, imho, single engine planes without FIKI, would most likely be best served not ever needing to use the waas minimums, but it’s one of those things buyers just want. 

Just now, Schllc said:

Gia63w’s are really not that hard to find, they should be priced between 7,000 and 10,000 depending on condition and if they are tagged. 
I have done it on two mooney’s.

its a few hours of labor if you have the additional waas antenna already like I did for the adsb, and a few more if you don’t, plus the cost of the antenna. 

even if you find ones that aren’t operable, garmin will rebuild for 1,500-2,500.

It is. It a cheap endeavor, but the value will be realized in the plane.  First two questions every single caller had about planes when selling “any damage history”?, and “does it have waas”?

for the record, imho, single engine planes without FIKI, would most likely be best served not ever needing to use the waas minimums, but it’s one of those things buyers just want. 

Not sure I understand what you mean by your last paragraph. Having waas capability provides the ability to fly to ILS type minimums at many many airports that would never have an ILS is a non GPS world. To me that adds additional flexibility and safety to flying. I don’t see much of a connection here to icing or FIKI capability or the lack there of. I for one would never want to not have waas in my plane. 

2 hours ago, Bravoman said:

Not sure I understand what you mean by your last paragraph. Having waas capability provides the ability to fly to ILS type minimums at many many airports that would never have an ILS is a non GPS world. To me that adds additional flexibility and safety to flying. I don’t see much of a connection here to icing or FIKI capability or the lack there of. I for one would never want to not have waas in my plane. 

I don’t disagree.

What I was saying is that a non fiki, single engine plane is the least capable in inclement conditions and personally I would not plan  a trip in this type of plane based on my ability to meet lower minimums. 
I also would not have a plane without Waas but good planning and decisions could abdicate the “need” for it with a lot of pilots.  

The real capability increase in WAAS is being able to plan both destination and alternates with GPS approaches. I questioned the need, but spent the money, since I purchased the airplane and. the WAAS upgrade I have had two times in which the mission was completed thanks to WAAS. The number of ILS approaches will likely decrease, not increase. The FAA did not put all that money into those SAT birds to keep having electronics maintenance visit an airport once a week.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 12:33 AM, M20R said:

The price does not include VAT which is a heafty 23%. I don't know if you have to pay this if its being exported to the US.

Check with a tax person, but prob99 no, you don't pay if exporting, or get to get it back once exported. Think the tax free shops when you fly CAT internationally.

8 hours ago, ploucandco said:

There was an AD issued a while back to replace a bunch of huck bolts in a handful of Long Body Mooneys...

Didn’t take very long to get the job done...

But, it is really weird when you see the tale separated from the rest of the airframe.... looks like carnage... :)

Quite a few MSers on that forum as well...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 months later...

I’m Sad to report that this plane is no longer available for sale :D

There is one caveat though. During first flights after buying it we had a gear issue it appeared that sensor had to be replaced which took two weeks for the service in Kamenz Germany but now they are missing some tool to check if gear is properly aligned and it takes another two weeks. Can anybody help me out with what kind of tool this could be so I may look for it somewhere in Europe and bring that to those bastards to fix my plane finally. 

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Lucas!

High fives from a Covid friendly distance of a few thousand NMs away!

Congrats on the new Acquisition.

Often there are gear tools available for sale around here...

There was an MSer that manufactured some... and...

The factory should be able to manufacture these things for an exorbitant price... 

Start with a search around here...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Gear tools&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul_Havelka said:

@tmo Well if you want some flight time you could come pick me up for a flight in Billund, DE...lol

How the International Mooney Exchange program got started...  :)

Two MSers discussing flying in each other’s neighborhoods...  

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-