Ray Jay Normalized Kit Question

Just finished rebuilding much of the firewall forward on my plane as some of you know, plane is for sale on this site, and I have a question. What is everyone's speculation, would there be a market for the Ray Jay system on my plane if I were to want to sell the complete kit, new exhaust ( over $8,000), redone turbo ( over $3,000) and all the hoses and everything else that is a part of it. Or even do a partial trade with someone for their NA exhaust in return?

Or is my plane worth more with it on it than what I could get out of it if I brought it back to NA?

TL,

That is a tough question...

1) They don’t build new ones...

2) The company still services the existing ones...

3) STC paperwork is hard to come buy...

So if you have a complete one, with paperwork in good condition...

It is still a challenge to find interest in it...

People have to have experience with it to become familiar with how well it works... in their hands...

Getting that experience is extra challenging...

PP thoughts only, Ask Rich... (the one with Turbo in his screen name.....) :)

Best regards,

-a-

Selling a recently overhauled plane is difficult on the financial side. Everyone wants a nicely rebuilt engine but nobody wants to pay for it. I have found this is especially true for Mooney aircraft and the buyers that are searching/kicking tires. I would keep the system installed and find the right buyer. Where have you advertised outside of MS?

I agree in keeping it intact.  I also question the aspect of moving a system from one plane to the other (one engine to another).  In a perfect world I thought of upgrading to a J so I have the aerodynamic speed mods over my F and then taking my RAYJAY and adding it to a J that didn't have it.  At the end of the day I did not think it was worth it.

I have not advertised outside of here.. Truth be told there are moments where I dont want to sell but it just seems the financially smart thing to do right now and since it does not perfectly suit our needs anymore as a family. I may not be "forced" to though. I had thought about using Jimmy at All American but I'm not sure I can afford the broker fee if I would have to negotiate sale price on top of it yet. Not saying he is charging too much, do not misunderstand. I didnt know if there was money to be gained through this to make the sale easier. I know on appraisals a TN only adds about $5k.

Why do you need more than a turbonormalized F?  What needs are not being met.  Your RaJay system is likely the manual wastegate version.  That STC does not cover a J.  

My 68 F flies like and acts like a J, only with manual gear and hydraulic flaps (some consider those to be upgrades that are no longer available), and  turbonormalization so it climbs quite readily to 18,000 ft.  90 gallons of fuel can make for long legs at 11 gph ROP or 25% more at 8.5 gph LOP.    Depends how much you want to get into the plane and what your goals are for the upgrades.

John Breda

• Like 1