Here we go with the Alpha Aviation shoulder harness install

This is nice!

Just a few questions:

did you install the shoulder harness first then install the trim?

if so, do you have pics of how you ‘notched’ the trim (left and right side) to get it over the shoulder harness?

-Don

2 hours ago, hammdo said:

This is nice!

Just a few questions:

did you install the shoulder harness first then install the trim?

if so, do you have pics of how you ‘notched’ the trim (left and right side) to get it over the shoulder harness?

-Don

Put on clamp and hardware with trim off, place trim up and mark where the bolt will pop thru drill a hole and then step drill a little oversized. Then you will assemble everything prior to attaching trim. But trim will be placed on while you install reel and hardware.

46 minutes ago, Ross Taylor said:

Okay...feeling rather stupid, since nobody else asked...am I the only one who doesn't know that the yellow holder/bracket is?  What is that for?

Yes is ELT

• Like 1

I recommend that your back seats need shoulder harnesses next, unless nobody ever rides back there.  There are documented cases of Mooney crashes where front seat passengers with shoulder harnesses survived an impact, but rear seat passengers without shoulder harnesses received fatal injuries.  In some ways the rear shoulder harness mount is easier.

The seat belt install looks fantastic!

Side note... If ready for another project that is much easier...   :)

There are replacements available for the vent window including hardware....

From the same manufacturer as the windows.... GLAP(?)

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks -A- I'm happy with the shoulder harnesses.

We all know there is always another project... Have the electric step kit already.... Vent window functions as advertised..... Engine monitor is  topping the list after all the projects that are already on stand by waiting. But want to do the whole panel at once. Not a fun project more than once with the 201 windshield. That'll be a big one.

Edited by Jeph357
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

I recommend that your back seats need shoulder harnesses next, unless nobody ever rides back there.  There are documented cases of Mooney crashes where front seat passengers with shoulder harnesses survived an impact, but rear seat passengers without shoulder harnesses received fatal injuries.  In some ways the rear shoulder harness mount is easier.

I've never heard of an stc for installing the rear shoulder harnesses...  My understanding is that the cage is not located correctly for that install...  I hope I'm wrong, because I would love to have rear shoulder harnesses.

19 hours ago, Floyd said:

Gee that is way too easy.   The 63 C model has an aluminum box around the tube that had to be cut out to make room for the bracket

I'd love to know how you accomplished it. (especially getting the bracket around the tube once the aluminum box was cut)  I've heard that the cage is so close to the skin and window that people have had to remove windows or slide the bracket down from the top to install...  That seems impossible with the aluminum box.  I looked at that myself and wondered what to do.

Another issue on my 'C is that the ELT is mounted almost exactly where the shoulder harness would mount...  I think I've heard about moving it to the rear of the window...

Really want the shoulder harnesses...Never want to use them.

1 hour ago, cctsurf said:

I've never heard of an stc for installing the rear shoulder harnesses...  My understanding is that the cage is not located correctly for that install...  I hope I'm wrong, because I would love to have rear shoulder harnesses.

I'd love to know how you accomplished it. (especially getting the bracket around the tube once the aluminum box was cut)  I've heard that the cage is so close to the skin and window that people have had to remove windows or slide the bracket down from the top to install...  That seems impossible with the aluminum box.  I looked at that myself and wondered what to do.

Another issue on my 'C is that the ELT is mounted almost exactly where the shoulder harness would mount...  I think I've heard about moving it to the rear of the window...

Really want the shoulder harnesses...Never want to use them.

On our '67 C there is no aluminum box, so we didn't have to deal with that.   These mounts were made from 4130 steel, bent in a brake, shaped, and epoxy painted.  They are connected to the steel cage.  See the two bolts that connect the steel tube frame to the empennage, they show up particularly well on the rhs photo.

rear_seat_rhs_shoulder_mount.jpg

rear_seat_lhs_shoulder_mount.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

On our '67 C there is no aluminum box, so we didn't have to deal with that.   These mounts were made from 4130 steel, bent in a brake, shaped, and epoxy painted.  They are connected to the steel cage.  See the two bolts that connect the steel tube frame to the empennage, they show up particularly well on the rhs photo.

rear_seat_rhs_shoulder_mount.jpg

rear_seat_lhs_shoulder_mount.jpg

I would absolutely do them. Were they a 337 field approval?  Or is there an existing stc?

Also Any specs or drawings?

The rears are next on my list ! I had a similar idea but hadn't got to work on it yet. Thanks for the pics.

AC43.13 covers this install for belt installs, basic design, and function, similar to the front, No cutting or welding. You wont get a field approval (at least in the south) nor an STC. I've tried on other aircraft before. Its amazing how hard the FAA has made it improve the safety of older designs. AC 43.13, and sign it off as minor alteration. 

1 hour ago, Lionudakis said:

AC43.13 covers this install for belt installs, basic design, and function, similar to the front, No cutting or welding. You wont get a field approval (at least in the south) nor an STC. I've tried on other aircraft before. Its amazing how hard the FAA has made it improve the safety of older designs. AC 43.13, and sign it off as minor alteration. 

Correct, no cutting or welding required.   This is the approach I took after talking it over with my A&P IA.  Better to have shoulder harnesses.   Here's a photo showing the installed rear left-side shoulder harness.   We bought new seat belts for the front seats with the push-button type latches, and moved the front seat belts to the rear seat.   I like having the push-button style up front, much less interference with the Johnson Bar and my knuckles.

interior_rear_shoulder_Harness_connection.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good ! Thanks for pics

14 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Correct, no cutting or welding required.   This is the approach I took after talking it over with my A&P IA.  Better to have shoulder harnesses.   Here's a photo showing the installed rear left-side shoulder harness.   We bought new seat belts for the front seats with the push-button type latches, and moved the front seat belts to the rear seat.   I like having the push-button style up front, much less interference with the Johnson Bar and my knuckles.

interior_rear_shoulder_Harness_connection.jpg