MSC Pre Buy

RocketGnome

Question for all the much smarter people out there, so basically everyone. I know all MSCs aren't created equal, but is the baseline of all of them good enough that any of them are a good choice for a pre buy? I'm looking setting up a pre buy in the NC/VA area and thought I'd ask real quick. Thank you in advance!

2 minutes ago, RocketGnome said:

Question for all the much smarter people out there, so basically everyone. I know all MSCs aren't created equal, but is the baseline of all of them good enough that any of them are a good choice for a pre buy? I'm looking setting up a pre buy in the NC/VA area and thought I'd ask real quick. Thank you in advance!

Morganton NC - AGL Aviation is reputable and probably closest.

• Like 5

MSCs are created equal...

They come from nothing, grow into something, and stay valuable as long as they are managed well....

Unfortunately, over decades... they are like any other business... with ebbs and flows...

In the end we are looking to know the quality of the person turning the wrenches... and the person who over-sees that...

A long standing MSC may be a family owned/run business... This can take strange turns when the Kids are unable to take over the business when the parents retire... often a sale occurs with new owners...

The Good news...

AGL is in the middle zone... experienced enough to provide great service, with a long track record.... and not near retirement or extinction....

There are quite a few MSCs that are in this strong Middle zone... some have passed the baton to a strong next generation... or sold to the next owner with great transition support... 

Some really strong MSCs are around here often... providing excellent support to the MS community...

If unsure, ask MS... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 4

As there is no recognized standard for a PPI, it’s up to you and the shop to agree on the level of inspection you desire.  Generally, older airplanes have had more work done to them over the decades, more modifications and more time for corrosion to set in.

Big items in the Mooney world are airframe corrosion in the aluminum structures, rusting of the steel airframe tubes, and leaking fuel tanks.

Clarence

19 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

As there is no recognized standard for a PPI, it’s up to you and the shop to agree on the level of inspection you desire.  Generally, older airplanes have had more work done to them over the decades, more modifications and more time for corrosion to set in.

Big items in the Mooney world are airframe corrosion in the aluminum structures, rusting of the steel airframe tubes, and leaking fuel tanks.

Clarence

And as someone who saw the daily loss run as an underwriter, new purchases seem more likely to have gear collapses.  Make sure whoever rigs the Mooney gear does it by the book.

• Like 1

I think your bigger challenge will be finding a shop that can get you in for a pre-buy in a reasonable time. At Savvy, we have double the number of pre-buys in process than our normal number and we're also having a hard time find shops that can do a pre-buy in timely fashion. Shops are never eager to do them to begin with; especially with an out of town customer that they have no chance of building a future relationship. Add in the shop being fully booked with their regular customers for months ahead and you can see why its easy for shops to pass on pre-buys. If you do have trouble finding a shop, suggest you look for a mechanic with Mooney experience over just any shop you can the pre-buy on calendar. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kortopates said:

I think your bigger challenge will be finding a shop that can get you in for a pre-buy in a reasonable time. At Savvy, we have double the number of pre-buys in process than our normal number and we're also having a hard time find shops that can do a pre-buy in timely fashion. Shops are never eager to do them to begin with; especially with an out of town customer that they have no chance of building a future relationship. Add in the shop being fully booked with their regular customers for months ahead and you can see why its easy for shops to pass on pre-buys. If you do have trouble finding a shop, suggest you look for a mechanic with Mooney experience over just any shop you can the pre-buy on calendar. 

I have never seen this many people buying airplanes in my life.