G3x and IFD540 working together

I am starting my research for what will replace my 6pack. I am fully aware of what the documentation says from Garmin about what GPS navigators they support. But on the flip side, I have seen things here and there about G3x working with the IFD540. Anybody know more facts about it?

Also aware that the 10.2.3.1 allows the G3x experimental to work.

Thanks in advanced.

An example of Big G’s flexibility....

a bunch of G3Xs needed to be installed in a giant experimental cub like airplane.... with a duplicate display for the back seater, fully integrated to display any screen avaIlable up front...

Garmin was happy to do some specific programming for the user (Mike Patey... ) probably in trade for the advertising....

Experimental allows for so much flexibility...  the kind we could probably appreciate... 

Best regards,

-a-

Carbon fiber too... (who was looking for CF IP info?)

• Like 1

In your specific case...

Big G is capable...

But, sometimes chooses not to integrate with others...

To better understand their stand regarding your issue....  It is best to contact Trek Lawler...

He is easy to find on BT...

Trek Is Big G’s marketing guy associated with internet media sites...

I can probably get a Dynon guy to visit here to help...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

Garmin only certify their own navigators for obvious reasons...you’ll need to contact IFD support to see if they support the G3X.

As of February this was a response from Avidyne dealer:

However, the G3X is not approved for use with Avidyne IFD Navigators and Avidyne hasn’t done any mods to their units/manuals that specifies that it is approved. Frankly, they just got their approval to use G5’s with IFD navigators last fall and it hasn’t gone well. We’ve done two such installs and they both had significant issues with the units talking to each other. Avidynes final solution was slow down the data rate between the two, which is working-but not ideal.

• Like 1

Do you need a G3X? Why not put in an Avidyne pfd? Don’t they have one? I can’t remember the model no. but I thought surely they had one. Another option may be to get a Garmin navigator. It is best to stay with one manufacturer and not mix and try to match.

Do you need a G3X? Why not put in an Avidyne pfd? Don’t they have one? I can’t remember the model no. but I thought surely they had one. Another option may be to get a Garmin navigator. 

No, Avidyne had EX500/EX600, but I don’t see them anymore.
Dynon has Skyview HDX, but they don’t have an autopilot certified yet.
  • Haha 1

On 7/23/2020 at 8:23 AM, ArtVandelay said:

No, Avidyne had EX500/EX600, but I don’t see them anymore.
Dynon has Skyview HDX, but they don’t have an autopilot certified yet.

Yes, I know! I was trying to illustrate the point that when doing major panel upgrades it's better to stay with one manufacturer. And that manufacturer is Garmin, imo. Life is too short for trial and error and trips back and forth to avionics shops! I understand competition is good and people wishing to support others like Avidyne, Aspen, etc etc but they're not doing anybody any favors and neither is Garmin. For the money these things cost there is, in my book, "zero" room for trial and error. Garmin works!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, spectre6573 said:

Thanks for your reply and yes fully aware of his build. The question is for ifd series working with G3x

Appreciate this is an individual choice, however, why wouldn't you consider the 650xi or 750xi when you've decided on a G3X?  Either will eliminate your compatibility problem, and essentially shuts this issue down for good.  

Steve

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spectre6573 said:

I am starting my research for what will replace my 6pack. I am fully aware of what the documentation says from Garmin about what GPS navigators they support. But on the flip side, I have seen things here and there about G3x working with the IFD540. Anybody know more facts about it?

Also aware that the 10.2.3.1 allows the G3x experimental to work.

Thanks in advanced.

Is the G3x supposed to work with a 530?   If so, the IFD540 should also work, since it is plug-compatible with a 530.

Thanks everybody for the input.  

I totally understand the stay with one manufacturer thing. I am an A&P and do all my own work including avionics. As others might point out that doing a full garmin setup in a short body gets really expensive and also might cost as much as the airplane afterwards. My biggest gripe is garmin’s dealer only install. Thus far I have done a lot of work to bring my airplane to the new age and that includes a center stack of ps450b,  ngt-9000, ifd 540 edm 900 along with cleaning up wiring and so on. 

None of that would have been possible with the expense of the labor for install of what shops would charge. 

Now what Ericj has said is a reason I ask to see if anybody knows or has seen it work. With the stalemate of the autopilot programs out there, I am starting to have to lean to garmin and bite that bullet when it comes to the GFC500. I use my airplane for work commute and regularly do 4+ hour trips (200-300 hours a year).  Before anybody needs to remind me, I am aware the g3x is dealer only, but I am just investigating right now.  

• Like 1

Is the G3x supposed to work with a 530?   If so, the IFD540 should also work, since it is plug-compatible with a 530.

Maybe it will, maybe it won’t. But if it doesn’t, then what? You have an invalid installation that neither company is going to support. You’re on your own, even if it works today but doesn’t work later.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ArtVandelay said:

Maybe it will, maybe it won’t. But if it doesn’t, then what? You have an invalid installation that neither company is going to support. You’re on your own, even if it works today but doesn’t work later.

Totally understand that as well. From what I have heard as well is after support is bad from garmin and the dealers even if you did their install and had issues. Companies like aspen and Dynon are much better to work with. 

Just now, spectre6573 said:

I am an A&P and do all my own work including avionics. As others might point out that doing a full garmin setup in a short body gets really expensive and also might cost as much as the airplane afterwards. My biggest gripe is garmin’s dealer only install. 

Same here.  That's why I just invested in dual G5s and a Garmin GPS175, that I'm currently installing in my M20C.

The biggest issue, technically/legally, is that the G3X and G5s are installed via STC, not TSO.  The STC holder dictates the acceptable interfaces- and thus far, that doesn't include the IFD series.  Even though the IFD should work, the installer (whether it be you, the avionics shop, or the IA that signs off your install) should not approve the installation because the interfaces are not approved under the STC.

Personally I'm grateful for all the manufacturers.  Garmin should be applauded for their innovation.  Avidyne, Aspen, Trig, etc. should be applauded for keeping Garmin honest and not letting Big-G jack up their prices unnecessarily.

• Like 2

Just now, spectre6573 said:

Totally understand that as well. From what I have heard as well is after support is bad from garmin and the dealers even if you did their install and had issues. Companies like aspen and Dynon are much better to work with. 

Not sure of others experience but I have found support form Garmin to be great and I know they have been very helpful to my dealer.

• Like 2

Just now, Andy95W said:

Same here.  That's why I just invested in dual G5s and a Garmin GPS175, that I'm currently installing in my M20C.

The biggest issue, technically/legally, is that the G3X and G5s are installed via STC, not TSO.  The STC holder dictates the acceptable interfaces- and thus far, that doesn't include the IFD series.  Even though the IFD should work, the installer (whether it be you, the avionics shop, or the IA that signs off your install) should not approve the installation because the interfaces are not approved under the STC.

Personally I'm grateful for all the manufacturers.  Garmin should be applauded for their innovation.  Avidyne, Aspen, Trig, etc. should be applauded for keeping Garmin honest and not letting Big-G jack up their prices unnecessarily.

Exactly!

Totally understand the legality of it. Was more of a fishing question because the g3x experimental does work with the ifd540 per Avidyne. But the hopes is that they will had the certified in the future. 

I will say I like the operation of my ifd540 much better than 750’s I have flown behind. That’s why I echo your statement about challenging the big G.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, spectre6573 said:

From personal experience, Garmin support is the gold standard. As is their equipment.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 201Mooniac said:

Not sure of others experience but I have found support form Garmin to be great and I know they have been very helpful to my dealer.

Just now, PTK said:

From personal experience, Garmin support is the gold standard. 

Thank you both for clarifying 

That hasn’t been my experience. But my one panel mount service request was via the dealer. I think they want the certified service to go through their dealers.

23 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

FWIW, the super-anal Garmin-authorized repair station that removed and refused to reinstall my Nav1/Nav2 selector switch for my autopilot, because it wasn't on the drawing for my IFD540 installation, did install it and a new G5 together.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy95W said:

The STC holder dictates the acceptable interfaces- and thus far, that doesn't include the IFD series.  Even though the IFD should work, the installer (whether it be you, the avionics shop, or the IA that signs off your install) should not approve the installation because the interfaces are not approved under the STC.

AFAIK the interfaces just have to be listed on one of the STC's. So either the IFD has to be listed in the Garmin STC or the Garmin has to be listed in the IFD STC. You only need one.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

AFAIK the interfaces just have to be listed on one of the STC's. So either the IFD has to be listed in the Garmin STC or the Garmin has to be listed in the IFD STC. You only need one.

Yes- it's all good as long as somebody takes responsibility for it.  But thus far the G3X hasn't been added yet, and that was the original topic of the thread.  I think it took 2-3 years for the IFD/G5 interface to be added to the approvals.  Not sure if the G3X will be faster or slower.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 11:35 AM, spectre6573 said:

Not true, to the first part.  My shop and I have had nothing but positive experiences with Garmin...whether it be help on a technical issue / configuration, software update, or any other general query.  In fairness, I can't comment on Dynon's or Aspen's support - technical or otherwise - since I don't own any of their equipment.

44 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

Not true, to the first part.  My shop and I have had nothing but positive experiences with Garmin...whether it be help on a technical issue / configuration, software update, or any other general query.  In fairness, I can't comment on Dynon's or Aspen's support - technical or otherwise - since I don't own any of their equipment.

Thanks for the info. 

• Like 1