Eyes on Mooney M20F @KGMJ (Grove, Oklahoma)

It is definitely a nice F but unfortunately for the seller no where close to a 100K airplane. It would certainly be good for F model values if this one sold for that but I don't see that happening. It is the nicest F model I've ever looked at but it's still a 67 F model with a high time engine.

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

Would it be worth the $100K if it had a fresh engine? Just asking. 

Work it backwards based on the "new" prices:

GTN750 $17,000USD , Aspen E5$ $4,500USD Each, GTX345 $4,800USD, Stec-50 $19,000USD = ~$50,000. Plus a new engine @ $30,000 and I would say yes, it is worth it if it had a new engine.

As it is? Not a chance. You can put an RV-10 in the air for less than that if you're careful and it'll blow the doors off that F. It won't have as fancy an avionics package, but you won't be stuck paying an A&P/IA for your annuals either.

@carusoam

Agreed that demand seems to be outstripping supply for correctly priced, regularly flown planes. To that end, the below plane was under contract in one day.  I  know since I inquired about two hours too late!  

http://www.steveweaver.com/n137dm.htm

I've been using the https://themooneyflyer.com/tools.html to value planes.  As an owner of multiple vintage autos, I realize that the money you put into upgrades doesn't come back to you dollar for dollar.  In our plane search, I've found that some sellers attempt to recoup dollar for dollar, which makes negotiations more challenging. The other obstacle, I've come across is the plane that has been sitting for a long time and the seller doesn't want to price the engine accordingly.  Since the search started, I've been in escrow once, which didn't close because of issues discovered during the PPI.  

Here's a little bit about us and what we're looking for in a plane: 

• UL of 950lbs or above as we'd like to fly with full fuel if at possible
    • Family of four that weighs less than 550lbs   
    • Fits in the back seat of a short body Mooney Thanks to @Skates97 for helping confirm this!
  • Turnkey plane 
  • IFR/Complex Pilot ~400hours  
  • Willing to pay approximately what mooneyflyer calculator says 
Mission
- Weekly flights in SoCal Airspace 
- 1x Per Month flights of ~500NM or less 
- 1x Per 3 to 4 Months flights of ~750NM 
- 1x USA Cross Country Plane Trip to visit relatives 
Wishlist
- WAAS GPS 
- Coupled AP that can fly approaches, but at a bare minimum AP with alt hold 
- Aspens would be nice 
- Johnson Bar Nice but not necessary.  We had a little landing gear issue with an Arrow, we resolved it, but it made me see the value in the JBAr. 

We currently rent:
DiamondStar  DA40, not enough UL 
Piper Arrow II  Slow, expensive, not available, UL @860 
172 for those days you just don't feel like yourself... 

• Like 1

@Paulyslug,

Sounds like a plan...

Andy listed an M20C around here... diamond in the rough style... Owner passed, description is limited, outside looks great from 1k miles away... a few expensive mods with nice paint...

Price hasn’t been set...

Could be interesting...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Demand seems to be outstripping supply this summer...

Half of the world’s economy is very strong.

[mention=19849]Chief Pelican[/mention] posted the plane for sale... It has a few replies on the thread...

We should set up a place on BT for negative opinions.... 

Best regards,

-a-

Everyone is welcome to their opinion but I sometimes wonder which orifice people are using to provide an opinion.

I looked over the complete logs for this plane. It was extremely well maintained. Right there with Bob Belville’s, John Breda and my plane. It has been flown regularly and more importantly all of the things you would expect to see done by a conscientious owner was done. Right down to the rubber induction boot.

It does have 1500 hours on a Lycoming 0 time engine but all of those hours have been through a steady series of hours flown on it every year. Considering most pilots are flying 100 hours a year, it could easily go 5 years before just reaching TBO. And since it only has 267 hours on a new Scimitar prop, I would be one to gamble the plane and prop will make TBO.

As for avionics, it’s well equipped. Add in the fact the majority of it’s time was in dry climates, I wouldn’t be hesitant moving forward with a PPI to see what could be hiding (I know SB 208 was done).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

On 7/29/2020 at 6:01 PM, ziggysanchez said:

It is definitely a nice F but unfortunately for the seller no where close to a 100K airplane. It would certainly be good for F model values if this one sold for that but I don't see that happening. It is the nicest F model I've ever looked at but it's still a 67 F model with a high time engine.

67 was a good year at Mooney. These airframes were some of the best produced before cost cutting measure were under taken. This is not to say the later airframes were bad, just that these have desirable details that others don’t. If one wants a vintage Mooney, 67 is an excellent vintage, perhaps the best. Still a 67F indeed...

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 2

On 7/29/2020 at 7:11 PM, KRviator said:

Work it backwards based on the "new" prices:

GTN750 $17,000USD , Aspen E5$ $4,500USD Each, GTX345 $4,800USD, Stec-50 $19,000USD = ~$50,000. Plus a new engine @ $30,000 and I would say yes, it is worth it if it had a new engine.

As it is? Not a chance. You can put an RV-10 in the air for less than that if you're careful and it'll blow the doors off that F. It won't have as fancy an avionics package, but you won't be stuck paying an A&P/IA for your annuals either.

I like RVs a great deal. There are two double stacked in the hangar across from mine. Have a handful of time in a -6.  An RV-10 isn’t going to “blow the doors” off of a well rigged F model but it will be faster, how much depends on which (I)O540 you choose to put up against that IO360. The delta is probably about 10-15kts with the RV burning a touch more gas at the same speed and more to go faster. I imagine they’re close in most areas of performance with the RV besting the F in everything but range. Unless of course aesthetics matter...in which case the nicest thing I can say is that the -10 performance exceeds its looks. I’ve never seen an RV that wears a nose wheel well. They look like someone stuck a surveyor’s wheel under the front cowl and contracted a 1950s sci-fi illustrator to design the fairings...

Edited by Shadrach
  • Haha 3