Dynon Avionics - No major announcement today?

11 hours ago, jamesm said:

So when the HDX was installed was the installater able to install the servos? ? How much work is left to get the autopilot operational?

James '67C

The servos were not installed but all the wiring was installed while the interior was out and the wing panels were open.  Should make the final install more efficient.

• Like 2

That's not actually true at all.  There isn't a huge change between the installation on most mid and short bodies and the J is expected to cover short and mid body variants.

I have had this conversation with them several times over the last few months.  If you have questions about a product, ask the manufacturer.  Don't just assume you know the answer.

That’s not been how Garmin does it. And they are the only one who has successfully gone through this.

Heck, there are differences between M20Js, apparently there was a change to the wing that required Garmin to go back and modify the install based on serial numbers. No way a J can cover other variants.

I’m sure some salesman will paint a pretty picture...but that doesn’t make it true.

Tom

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

That’s not been how Garmin does it. And they are the only one who has successfully gone through this.

Heck, there are differences between M20Js, apparently there was a change to the wing that required Garmin to go back and modify the install based on serial numbers. No way a J can cover other variants.

I’m sure some salesman will paint a pretty picture...but that doesn’t make it true.

Tom

You're right,  you probably know better than a team of engineers that have been through this with multiple aircraft manufacturers.

On 7/22/2020 at 7:05 AM, LANCECASPER said:

Based on their website, it'll be awhile before the Mooney STC to the autopilot is added.

It looks like the Piper Seneca, Cessna 182 and the Beechcraft are further along. If they meet the end of 2020 target for the Mooney, a lot of people will be pleased and surprised.

Why were you expecting an announcement yesterday?

1250244941_ScreenShot2020-07-22at6_41_12AM.thumb.png.d07b54354e76fad6bd0e80726f0007be.png

Attachment

Well this has been a tough year for a lot of companies - looks like it's being pushed back to 1st half of 2021.

2120711577_ScreenShot2020-09-30at5_35_06PM.thumb.png.9dd3409dd8409d2d1fdeeead2624051d.png

6 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Tom

Yes, unfortunately that was my plane where they found the problem, it was an issue with my flush mounted access panels.  Always a risk as an early adopter.  Garmin was great though, they modified the bracket and got the change approved in just over a week.

25 minutes ago, steingar said:

Dynon will be the only game in town for me if I ever want to do any of this.  I don't think Garmin is going to get the certification for Mooneys made prior to 1965.

Agree, bummer about the pre 65 exclusion. In my case I’ll be looking for the TT autopilot if my stec ever fails. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 11:56 AM, 231MJ said:

The servos were not installed but all the wiring was installed while the interior was out and the wing panels were open.  Should make the final install more efficient.

Last I asked I don't think they were sure if the servos would go in the wings or the Avionics Bay.   I ran wires to both places.  Port wing has no wires yet.

16 hours ago, carusoam said:

Gents,

Rick from Dynon stopped by...

To introduce themselves... and deliver a marketing survey...

Get on it! :)

Best regards,

-a-

Does that chart really say that there are more registered M20R than the number that were produced?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Does that chart really say that there are more registered M20R than the number that were produced?

Hmmmm....

Looks like a handful...

Thinking about this all day.  How does Or can this occur?

All Ovation serial numbers start with 29-

They really are true serial numbers... Started with 00001 and grew +1 from there...

Eagles are incredibly close and can be interchangeable with Ovations... but their serial numbers start with 30-

It seams to have more registered than produced... a plane may require to get counted twice by re-registering.... possibly a move to Canada with a new tail number would trigger an odd event like this..?

PP thoughts only, not a numbers guy...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Agree, bummer about the pre 65 exclusion. In my case I’ll be looking for the TT autopilot if my stec ever fails. 
Could you fill this in for me? Worried I'm about to become disappointed...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The 1964 and earlier models had a different shaped aileron that made them more stable in the roll axis and high aileron forces.  They were curved on the bottom as opposed to flat.  Many were changed to the later design to facilitate an autopilot being able to bank the airplane.  Maybe Garmin did not want to deal with all that.

• Like 1

65 and later had servos installed for the Brittain wing leveler...

Pre 65 Would need additional work to get to where Garmin is going at this moment in time...

Moving down the chain age wise won’t be intense development, but could include already expensive parts...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

The few early C's with Stec 30 autopilots are just getting more valuable, the longer all of this drags on. 

For sure.  I got a quote for $18k on an stec 30 a year ago and decided to wait for trutrak which was just "any day now".  Should have spent the money 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

Can’t look at it that way...how much is your life worth is the only way I can justify aircraft expenses. 

Exactly, so wouldn't you want to stretch that dollar as far as you can? My point is that instead of spending silly money on an M20C to install an Stec 30, and then being very upside down on the value of the airplane. You'd be better off to sell it and spend the money to buy a Mooney that has an autopilot. 

Consequently, those M20C's and M20E's that have Stec 30's (some even with altitude hold and GPSS), are becoming more and more valuable from a resale perspective. 

• Like 1