Dynon Avionics - No major announcement today?

I was hoping for some sort of announcement today, either a replacement or update to the D10-A or the addition of the Mooney STC to the autopilot system. Anyone heard any rumors about anything from them? I was hoping for a lot of new products being unveiled this week from different manufacturers.

• Like 2

Dynon likes to use YouTube to deliver their message...

They left this up a week ago...

There is a button to subscribe to their channel... if you want to be alerted of their next one...

You probably have to join the google club...

I lost count after the fourth Dynon system was getting installed in an MSer Mooney...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

I was hoping for some sort of announcement today, either a replacement or update to the D10-A or the addition of the Mooney STC to the autopilot system. Anyone heard any rumors about anything from them? I was hoping for a lot of new products being unveiled this week from different manufacturers.

Based on their website, it'll be awhile before the Mooney STC to the autopilot is added.

It looks like the Piper Seneca, Cessna 182 and the Beechcraft are further along. If they meet the end of 2020 target for the Mooney, a lot of people will be pleased and surprised.

Why were you expecting an announcement yesterday?

1250244941_ScreenShot2020-07-22at6_41_12AM.thumb.png.d07b54354e76fad6bd0e80726f0007be.png

Attachment

If you've been tracking their AP certification progress (like I have), you may have noticed the Seneca and Bonanza 36, A36 have been making progress - the progress bars are moving!  I think the 182 bar has also made some progress.  Unfortunately, the Mooney bar has not moved in some time.  I can only hope that once they get the Seneca and Bonanza certifications pushed out they can put more resources on Mooney.  I wish there was more meaningful dialogue coming from Dynon about the Mooney certification but let's not give up.  Those of us that are committed to Dynon just need to keep pressure on them.  They do monitor the Dynon Certified forum and I encourage anyone interested in Dynon to join the forum and communicate with Dynon.  NotarPilot and I met on that forum and it would be good to see more of you on that forum also. 

• Like 2

I talked to them yesterday. They’re a good company. If you have questions, just ask them. They will tell you. 

I’m told once the bonanza And 182 are done the focus is on the Mooney. It’s not going to be this year.   I believe they said they have a J for development. 

Edited by chriscalandro

3 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

I talked to them yesterday. They’re a good company. If you have questions, just ask them. They will tell you. 

I’m told once the bonanza And 182 are done the focus is on the Mooney. It’s not going to be this year.   I believe they said they have a J for development. 

In the Dynon Certified Forums they did in fact say they are using a J for certification testing.

They are optimistic the J will cover all the variations. That's what I'm told anyway...

Don’t know how they can say that, each model has differences in how the servos are installed. Even the early Js required changes from the later ones. Are they going to require customers to modify and fabricate mounting hardware?

3 hours ago, MIm20c said:

I wonder if they will have to do the certification for a short and long body as well?  

1) Expect that the dynamics of the three body lengths are different...

2) The controls are mechanically different...

3) Something as simple as amount of lubrication, or absence of lubrication causes difficulty with APs....

4) The certification of systems is all about knowing that it works under a wide range of operating conditions...

5) If that doesn’t cover it... All the other AP certifications had to be completed by model number....

6) Realistically, once you have set up the test protocol for one, and successfully executed it.... doing the same for all the other models is quite straight forwards... mostly due diligence to complete... many flight hours, lots of data, plenty of report writing....

7) The certificated world has moved away from things that kinda work OK.... Or mostly works when...

PP thoughts only, not an experimental pilot...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...

The certification department of the FAA has been closed since the original corona shutdown, I don't even think it's reopened again (Our local FISDO certainly hasn't!) so there hasn't been any progress there. I have seen evidence of the Seneca and their Mooney out flying (whether the Mooney has a working autopilot in it or not I can't tell) 

One can assume that once the 182, seneca and A36 which are currently under certification testing and the FAA reopens, that their focus will be putting the rest of the paperwork into the FAA's hands. 

Expect certification for long and medium length mooneys but wait for long fuselage ones as that will be applied for separately. 

• 1 month later...

The Dynon website now shows Mooney certification in the first half of 2021 and the progress bar has not moved much, if any.  I'm enjoying the heck out of HDX but not having an autopilot is a real bummer.  This is really disappointing news.  Picture of the panel in the climb out of HWD...notice the blanking plate where the AP head should go...UHHHH.

231MJ Panel w.o AP.JPG

• Like 1

The Dynon website now shows Mooney certification in the first half of 2021 and the progress bar has not moved much, if any.  I'm enjoying the heck out of HDX but not having an autopilot is a real bummer.  This is really disappointing news.  Picture of the panel in the climb out of HWD...notice the blanking plate where the AP head should go...UHHHH.

You have to remember each model needs to be tested individually, each installation is customized. I wouldn’t expect total M20 type coverage, chances are the 201 will be first anyway. ;-)

5 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

You have to remember each model needs to be tested individually, each installation is customized. I wouldn’t expect total M20 type coverage, chances are the 201 will be first anyway. ;-)

That's not actually true at all.  There isn't a huge change between the installation on most mid and short bodies and the J is expected to cover short and mid body variants.

I have had this conversation with them several times over the last few months.  If you have questions about a product, ask the manufacturer.  Don't just assume you know the answer.

Edited by chriscalandro