Considering a J for sale near me

M20 Ogler

There is some kind of omen regarding the retractable gear...

It was a small omen at first...

It became a much larger Omen at a later date...

The second omen can be seen from quite a distance...

Never saw that plane before...

See if these people own the plane... they seem pretty happy about it...

https://flightaware.com/photos/aircraft/N666RG

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 2

Can you be please be more specific? What are  you askingto learn? Have you called the shop that maintained it? Have you seen it in person? It looks nice, dated but clean and shiny and well kept. 

Is this your first Mooney or first airplane? If so, you are in good hands on the forum. We’ve all gone down that path. Have a good job with a nice income.  It helps. A lot.  

The ADS-B mandate has, in my opinion, had a large impact on a/c and primarily in how owners can customize their avionics to meet their perceived needs. It is not 100% universal as except in class B & C under 10,000 feet not required but the situational awareness and what RNAV brings to the pilot is a profound improvement in nav capability. 

Buy the best a/c you can find, but keep in mind it is a starting point. .

regards

• Like 1

I’m asking if there are any red flags I should look for in the logs or on the airframe, and if it seems priced fair? I did not see any mention of recent tank reseal. Also if TopGun and Lasar have been doing maintenance on it maybe I should have a prebuy inspection done elsewhere, are there any more Mooney service centers in N California?

It would be my first Mooney, I have a nice Beech Sundowner, just want something faster and better for travel. So the Beech would be going up for sale if and when I find the right plane. 

Edited by M20 Ogler

Call Mark at Top Gun Stockton.  He will be honest about what he is willing to tell you.  If I were in the market for something in this price range with this level of equipment I’d be interested.  I’d consider a JPI 830 and a back up AI right away, with other fun improvements if and when you can afford them.

Mostly nice.  My biggest negative is the useful load of 930 lbs.  That can be improved by replacing old stuff with new stuff if/when you have the money.  930 lbs might be OK for the way you plan to use it.  Only you know.  If you are like most of us, and don't plan to spend over 3 hours in cruise, you can get by with a bit over 40 gallons (240 lbs).  If it really has the wing gauges, that would not be too hard to do.  That would leave 690 lbs for payload which would be OK.

Our '78 has never been resealed and it doesn't leak.  Just look for signs of a leak.  If you don't see (or smell) any, just keep gas in it and don't leave it out in the sun all the time and it will probably last a long time.  Tie it down on the ramp for years and you probably won't be so lucky.

12 minutes ago, M20 Ogler said:

I’m asking if there are any red flags I should look for in the logs or on the airframe, and if it seems priced fair? 

Like any expensive machine...

1) Get e-copy of all logs... read them, take notes... if there are red flags you will find them... low cost triage method.

2) Get PPI... send plane to a knowledgable mechanic... independent of prior maintenance... best value method.

3) Organize the PPI from big expensive stuff first... least cost method for failed PPIs..

4) Turn PPI into an Annual if it makes sense... much of the work is the same... lowest cost for the next year.

5) As for priced fair... only you can decide.

6) Find similar planes available and see what their negotiated price will be...

7) It’s your money and your opportunity...

8) Make it happen!

9) There aren’t any bad Mooneys... 

10) Some individual Mooneys are going to be worth more than others....

PP thoughts only, not a plane sales guy...

Best regards,

-a-

It’s priced pretty well.

I inquired and I received the logs, it has some inconsistencies, and appears  to be missing a few years of annuals.  also appears to show hundreds of hours between oil changes. 
i suspect this may be an error since it has intermittent service between the missing annuals,and flys a lot.  
but for me, if it wasn’t local, I would probably rule it out. 
that’s not saying it’s a bad buy.just that it’s not terribly more than a few better comps closer to me, and it’s  just too hard to sort these issues from a distance. 

here is the link to the info

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j41thmpa9yyy0r8/AABhcPDh8wZ3nbzWaoZsRtPka?dl=0

Good looking 201.  I am not sure about the tail number:unsure:

Probably don’t need it duplicated. I understand needing the 12” numbers for international travel, but they can be put on temporarily. It’s interesting that there are so many numbers with superstitions: 666 999 13 4(Chinese) 43(Japanese) ....

Looks like the ram air is removed. Is the original purpose to give a bit extra MP up high in order to get a higher service ceiling? How much does adding a Rayjay normalizer cost? 

Thanks everyone for answering my questions. 

Edited by M20 Ogler

Looks like the ram air is removed. Is the original purpose to give a bit extra MP up high and get a higher service ceiling? How much does adding a Rayjay normalizer cost?   

Thanks everyone for answering my questions. 

The ram air does nothing on the J, you can barely notice the increase of the manifold pressure. I think I was faster without it, whatever extra HP it gives you is countered by the drag it adds.

They reworked the intake to make it more efficient.

If you need turbo, then I would look at Ks

• Like 3

I guess I don’t absolutely need turbo. The J in my flying club has done KTRK on a hot day with two full size adults in it, no turbo. 

I’m not concerned about the N number except that it may make the plane a target for vandalism. How difficult and costly is it to change an N number? 

Edited by M20 Ogler

I guess I don’t absolutely need turbo. The J in my flying club has done KTRK on a hot day with two full size adults in it, no turbo. 

I’m not concerned about the N number except that it may make the plane a target for vandalism. How difficult and costly is it to change an N number? 

$20...not counting paint work.

3 hours ago, M20 Ogler said:

Looks like the ram air is removed. Is the original purpose to give a bit extra MP up high in order to get a higher service ceiling? How much does adding a Rayjay normalizer cost? 

Deleting the ram air is a good thing, IMHO!   I deleted it on my airplane.   On a J it doesn't do anything but let in dirt and ice and cause maintenance issues (imho).   I was glad to get rid of mine, so I think it's a plus for that airplane that it's already deleted for you.   

• Like 1

Seems like a great price for a J model if there are no red flags. Do keep in mind you'll likely have to overhaul the engine in the perhaps very-near future as that has been one has been in service for over 20 years. Even with an overhaul necessary in the next year or two, the price seems right to me.

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Deleting the ram air is a good thing, IMHO!   I deleted it on my airplane.   On a J it doesn't do anything but let in dirt and ice and cause maintenance issues (imho).   I was glad to get rid of mine, so I think it's a plus for that airplane that it's already deleted for you.   

If the J's ram air system was useful, Mooney wouldn't have removed it from later models.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M20 Ogler said:

Plane is under contract. Someone beat me to it. I wish them luck. 

If you’re serious about a plane it would probably be better to PM one of the members here who seem to have a good understanding of what to look for. Posting it here can accelerate the process.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

If you’re serious about a plane it would probably be better to PM one of the members here who seem to have a good understanding of what to look for. Posting it here can accelerate the process.

Thanks. I’ll find another one eventually. And I have a nice Sundowner to fly in the meantime, already found and fixed all the nasty surprises. It’s slow and comfortable so lots of time for sightseeing. 

• Like 2

On 7/22/2020 at 5:39 PM, ArtVandelay said:

It seems anytime a desirable plane hits the market it gets bought quickly.

Anything priced appropriately sells quickly. 
I have had three mooney’s before my ultra and none of them took long to sell and sold for asking price or very close. 
My late father in law told me a long time ago, “make your money on the buy side”.

makes selling much less difficult. 

• Thanks 1