M20E turbo overhaul costs?

Lurking  mode off

Does anyone have cost information for engine overhauls of an M20E with an add on turbo?  Is it just the cost of the overhaul plus extra for the turbo?  For comparisons, let's call it a SMOH not new or rebuilt.

How likely is a turbo engine to get to TBO based on proper use?

Probably not ready to buy just yet...pesky kids in college :)  But trying to learn as much as I can when I run across things I don't know.

Edited by Brian Flynn

The Turbo will cost $3500 - $4000 to overhaul. The scavenger pump and pop off valve (if you have one) are about $1000 each. If you have check valves add 1K each for them. YMMV

The engine should make it to TBO just fine as long as you operate it properly.

• Like 1

Welcome out in the open Brian!

Adding a TN to an engine is similar to adding another bolt on object...

turbos allow the user to run at higher %of power...

Depending on how it gets used... the cylinders and associated exhaust parts are at risk of getting worn sooner compared to non turbo cylinders and parts...

It is perfectly normal to select running in flaming dragon mode... at the cost of a set of cylinders near the halfway point...

Like a starter or alternator, all the bolt on parts get to be OH’d as well... We have a turbo parts guy around here somewhere...

If you like the economics of going faster on more fuel burn using up cylinders... go flaming dragon mode!

FDM is usually used for business travel... it helps to have an expense report to handle the maintenance bills... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The Turbo will cost $3500 - $4000 to overhaul. The scavenger pump and pop off valve (if you have one) are about $1000 each. If you have check valves add 1K each for them. 

I have rebuilt/repaired these parts many times for me and others.  The turbo rebuild used to be $2000, now I think it is more like $2500.  The players are Advanced Turbo Components and Main Turbo Systems.  I used the Visalia, CA location of ATC.  The scavenger pumps are a bit of a problem.  They are scarce, and most shops do not have the data to do an "overhaul" so they call it a "repair."  Hartzell Engine Components now controls the RaJay Scavenger pump market selling, I believe both rebuilt and new, but it may be just rebuilt.  Their prices are high.  The last time I had a scavenger pump "repaired" it was about $550.  The RaJay fuel pumps are also rebuildable.  They are a hi pressure pump with access for a pressure input.  Tempest can rebuild these.  The prices are almost doubled since 2015.  Aircraft Spruce sells the rebuilt fuel pumps for about $950.00.Pop-off valve rebuild was about $550.

John Breda

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M20F-1968 said:

I have rebuilt/repaired these parts many times for me and others.  The turbo rebuild used to be $2000, now I think it is more like $2500.  The players are Advanced Turbo Components and Main Turbo Systems.  I used the Visalia, CA location of ATC.  The scavenger pumps are a bit of a problem.  They are scarce, and most shops do not have the data to do an "overhaul" so they call it a "repair."  Hartzell Engine Components now controls the RaJay Scavenger pump market selling, I believe both rebuilt and new, but it may be just rebuilt.  Their prices are high.  The last time I had a scavenger pump "repaired" it was about $550.  The RaJay fuel pumps are also rebuildable.  They are a hi pressure pump with access for a pressure input.  Tempest can rebuild these.  The prices are almost doubled since 2015.  Aircraft Spruce sells the rebuilt fuel pumps for about $950.00.Pop-off valve rebuild was about $550.

John Breda

I had my fuel pump overhauled recently.  Nobody has any on the shelf. I had to send mine in to be overhauled (same parts as a regular fuel pump) it cost $900.

You should double check the turbo rebuild cost, it has gone up. It also depends on what they can reuse.