Bravo Specific Instrament approach power settings

DaveMC

I am sure this has been discussed before but.... since I am having trouble locating it......

I would like to hear what the group has to say about flying approaches. Specifically I am interested in how you all enter and execute approaches.  what speed at the entry fix.. what speed and configuration at the IAF and IF/IAF  speed and config at the FAF....power settings to achieve good glide slope intercept.

I find myself not trusting the autopilot (KFC150) G500 and GTN750 and I disconnect  the AP and hand flyi it.  The pitch control not being in my hands give me indigestion and nightmares which I am trying to overcome.   Any Sage advice or recomendations would be helpful

Dave, there is an edit button to help with spelling challenges...

When Covid wasn’t so much of a challenge... what you are looking for is delivered in a small book.... and covered in a weekend class... that includes flying your plane with a Mooney specific CFII...

It is called MAPA Training... It is a great weekend of Mooney Camaraderie.... and taking your IR skills to whatever your next level is...

Personalized training, personalized book of flight information.... presentations, and group discussions...

There were four of these events around the country each year...

All Mooney, all the time....

One of the coolest Mooney specific CFIIs around here that owns and flys a Bravo is DonKaye...

Don has taken an engineering approach to flying Mooneys... when he generated the landing videos and techniques...

Of course Don is on the West coast... making things a bit more challenging...

Hmmmm... would you be up for some Zoom Bravo training?

PP thoughts only, not sure if Zoom consultations are available or workable...

Best regards,

-a-

I fly so many different planes that I just use the power needed to give me 120 knots in the initial approach, and then reduce a few inches to give 90 knots at glide slope intercept. Power needs vary by the weight as well. You can develop your own chart based on your plane and your typical loading on a vice VFR day. The power settings will essentially be the same as you use in the traffic pattern. 

Agreeing with everything @philiplane said but I’ll just add a few things.

First, I don’t think there is anything unique to a Bravo with regards to the approach.  Everything you’ve been doing and learn from an instructor should apply.  My one caveat is try to be mindful of proper engine management when you’re practicing since you need to be a little more careful in huge power changes than you would in a rented 172...

Second, depending on cross winds and other conditions, I like to be at 90-100 knots over the FAF and I drop my gear and first degree of flaps.  I’ve found that 17-19” gives me this speed but it may vary in your plane.  The key thing to remember is how slippery our planes are so you need to do whatever is necessary to get to your desired speed when approaching the FAF or rise you’ll be correcting down the GS and may become unstabilized. 

Not an instructor (clearly).

The best advice is to go up on a nice VFR day and figure out the Pitch + Power + Configuration = Performance numbers that work best for you in all phases of flight and different approaches including a higher speed approach for busier airports with faster traffic (see attachment fro PWS).

I typically decrease power to around 22” as I slow from 140 KIAS to 120KIAS  a few miles before the FAF,  I drop the gear 1/2 dot above GS intercept, quickly slow to 110 kts, set 18-19”, put in approach flaps, stabilized before the FAF, then fly 105-110kts to 2 nm final, prop in, decrease power to 14”, land normally. A 90 knot approach speed is comfortable and easy, but a little slow for me especially when trying to fit in with faster traffic. I know some Cirrus sr22T (similar aircraft performance) manuals recommend 120 knots to FAF, then 100 knot approach speed.

BBF7CD33-6969-4893-9ACA-0A9F1436BADC.jpeg