Airplane Wash Recommendations

R-Banger

So I’ve been thinking a lot about this recently. For the past 8 years I’ve mostly pressure washed my plane at the wash rack.  According to some on here that’s a cardinal sin, so it seems.  According to others, washing with water is also a cardinal sin being that it can cause corrosion.  I looked around for other information and opinions on the internet and have come to the conclusion that washing your plane with water is mostly harmless.  I think one of the biggest examples of this is the USCG.  These guys fly in some of the most corrosive environments for aircraft.  I’m going to assume the airframes are treated for corrosion but they also hose down the aircraft after each flight to remove the salt. 

The USCG flies a fleet of HH-65 Dolphins which are 35 to 40 years old and have plans to continue flying them well past 2030.  So I’m not entirely convinced that washing a plane with water is all that detrimental.

• Like 2

I am with you, water flushes away all of the soot and grease and all of the dirt and all of the stuff that scratches paint and causes corrosion itself. Water itself is harmless., Airplanes sit out on the ramp for 40 years without corrosion as well

I have a friend, who is a photographer for a prominent helicopter magazine, and has thousands of photos. I asked him if the USCG merely hoses down their aircraft after each flight or if they get a full wash. He sent me 3 photos of USCG HH-65 Dolphins getting a full lathered up wash which is standard practice. He also sent me a photo of a USN Seahawk getting a rinse. Unfortunately he only gave me permission to post the USN photo as he doesn't want people stealing his USCG photos being that they are his livelihood but I'll paint the picture for you... 3 photos of USCG helicopters lathered up and being scrubbed down by guys in flightsuits. 

I will add that the Dophin is a "mostly" composite aircraft but even composite aircraft have a fair amount of metal parts incorporated into their airframes that are subject to corrosion. 

Resized_5897(1).jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I used to wash my C with soap and water, then dry it in flight. I used simple green with a rag to wash the belly. Over 20 years I did not see any corrosion. After I sold it, it went to Florida for a while, and it now lives in New Jersey.

I few it in a lot of wet and occasionally icey IMC.

• Like 1