R-Banger

Airplane Wash Recommendations

Wondering if my local SoCal friends have some good recommendations on where I can get my bird a desperately needed wash?

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

It’s a little far south but KSEE has a wash rack in the East transient ramp to the east of the terminal (between 27L and 35).

I've been know to have Belly Cleaning parties regularly - all are invited and as a good host, I even supply the towels! ;)

Honestly though, I would never take a hose to my mistress. Cleaning her in the hangar is much better for her. 

I surely do remember when I was a new airplane owner and I had just rented my first hangar and I asked the guy where do people wash their planes? I couldn't even find a hose anywhere. I was shocked when he said everyone "dry washed" their planes in the hangar and he then showed me a bottle of cleaner wax he would spray on and wipe a 1'x1' section clean with a rag to show me. I was going something like really?!? There is got to be better way like washing a car? It wasn't for a few more years that I learned in A&P school how important it was to treat our aluminum mistresses with a much more delicate nature to avoid a premature death from corrosion. So I've never used a wash rack and expect I  never will. Besides, Belly cleaning parties in the hangar are so much more fun among friends.  :)

Technically you don't even need a hangar, shade will do.

Edited by kortopates

I use Wash Wax All. It’s easily available at Aircraft Spruce.  They also have a degreaser product that is great as a belly wash.  I wouldn’t use anything else on my plane.  I’m based at Van Nuys anytime someone wants to meet up.  

2A403B92-BB5B-4009-847C-B8C6442BF966.jpeg

• Like 1

I use Wash Wax All. It’s easily available at Aircraft Spruce.  They also have a degreaser product that is great as a belly wash.  I wouldn’t use anything else on my plane.  I’m based at Van Nuys anytime someone wants to meet up.  
2A403B92-BB5B-4009-847C-B8C6442BF966.thumb.jpeg.908edb254900d799a3c0f284e53196eb.jpeg

You have your own hangar at Van Nuys? Who’d did you have to kill? ;-)
  • Haha 1

I have a good friend that details Cars and aircraft. He has his C.O.P.s for most SoCal airports and insurance. There is also a wash rack at SMO. 
We spent 4-5hrs together on a Sunday a few weeks ago and really did wonders on the airplane. 
-Matt

On 7/21/2020 at 9:10 PM, MB65E said:

I have a good friend that details Cars and aircraft. He has his C.O.P.s for most SoCal airports and insurance. There is also a wash rack at SMO. 
We spent 4-5hrs together on a Sunday a few weeks ago and really did wonders on the airplane. 
-Matt

Oh nice, yeah I went to town on the plane with the wash wax all today. Got the wings and nose done before the kiddo got tired. Crazy how well that stuff works, I was not expecting it. On another note, I had no idea there was a wash rack at SMO. Where is it located?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, R-Banger said:

Oh nice, yeah I went to town on the plane with the wash wax all today. Got the wings and nose done before the kiddo got tired. Crazy how well that stuff works, I was not expecting it. On another note, I had no idea there was a wash rack at SMO. Where is it located?

Roughly, opposite side of the runway across from self-serve fuel.

Thanks, will check it out. With how SMO is, I just assumed there would be some endangered fish or temperamental bird that would be offended by us having a wash rack so I went straight to probably not allowed.

PTI degreaser is like magic on the belly.  Pro wash ph neutral soap for the rest. Spruce has both.  

• Like 1

Just to the west of Atlantic. I’ll see if they keep it  locked or not this week. 

Good Info Byron, thanks. 

-Matt

81680B7A-1236-45AA-8FAE-9A986692D8E6.jpeg

Is the "no hose" applicable to grass strip based planes as well? As in, will the "dry wash" stuff work on the specks of mud that end up on the undersides of the wings and in wheel wells? Or is the mud washed off with plenty of low pressure water and the rest the "dry wash" route?

Use extra caution using low volumes of water on gritty type dirt....

You don’t want to end up with sandy dirt in the cleaning towel... sanding and scratching things....

PP thoughts only,

-a-

On 7/19/2020 at 11:41 PM, kortopates said:

I've been know to have Belly Cleaning parties regularly - all are invited and as a good host, I even supply the towels! ;)

Honestly though, I would never take a hose to my mistress. Cleaning her in the hangar is much better for her. 

I surely do remember when I was a new airplane owner and I had just rented my first hangar and I asked the guy where do people wash their planes? I couldn't even find a hose anywhere. I was shocked when he said everyone "dry washed" their planes in the hangar and he then showed me a bottle of cleaner wax he would spray on and wipe a 1'x1' section clean with a rag to show me. I was going something like really?!? There is got to be better way like washing a car? It wasn't for a few more years that I learned in A&P school how important it was to treat our aluminum mistresses with a much more delicate nature to avoid a premature death from corrosion. So I've never used a wash rack and expect I  never will. Besides, Belly cleaning parties in the hangar are so much more fun among friends.  :)

Technically you don't even need a hangar, shade will do.

I’ve washed mine with water several times and always dried it by flying it. I guess I did it wrong all these years.  (Face Palm)