Airplane Wash Recommendations

R-Banger

I've been know to have Belly Cleaning parties regularly - all are invited and as a good host, I even supply the towels! ;)

Honestly though, I would never take a hose to my mistress. Cleaning her in the hangar is much better for her. 

I surely do remember when I was a new airplane owner and I had just rented my first hangar and I asked the guy where do people wash their planes? I couldn't even find a hose anywhere. I was shocked when he said everyone "dry washed" their planes in the hangar and he then showed me a bottle of cleaner wax he would spray on and wipe a 1'x1' section clean with a rag to show me. I was going something like really?!? There is got to be better way like washing a car? It wasn't for a few more years that I learned in A&P school how important it was to treat our aluminum mistresses with a much more delicate nature to avoid a premature death from corrosion. So I've never used a wash rack and expect I  never will. Besides, Belly cleaning parties in the hangar are so much more fun among friends.  :)

Technically you don't even need a hangar, shade will do.

Edited by kortopates

I use Wash Wax All. It’s easily available at Aircraft Spruce.  They also have a degreaser product that is great as a belly wash.  I wouldn’t use anything else on my plane.  I’m based at Van Nuys anytime someone wants to meet up.  

2A403B92-BB5B-4009-847C-B8C6442BF966.jpeg

• Like 4

I use Wash Wax All. It’s easily available at Aircraft Spruce.  They also have a degreaser product that is great as a belly wash.  I wouldn’t use anything else on my plane.  I’m based at Van Nuys anytime someone wants to meet up.  
2A403B92-BB5B-4009-847C-B8C6442BF966.thumb.jpeg.908edb254900d799a3c0f284e53196eb.jpeg

You have your own hangar at Van Nuys? Who’d did you have to kill? ;-)
  • Haha 1

I have a good friend that details Cars and aircraft. He has his C.O.P.s for most SoCal airports and insurance. There is also a wash rack at SMO. 
We spent 4-5hrs together on a Sunday a few weeks ago and really did wonders on the airplane. 
-Matt

On 7/21/2020 at 9:10 PM, MB65E said:

I have a good friend that details Cars and aircraft. He has his C.O.P.s for most SoCal airports and insurance. There is also a wash rack at SMO. 
We spent 4-5hrs together on a Sunday a few weeks ago and really did wonders on the airplane. 
-Matt

Oh nice, yeah I went to town on the plane with the wash wax all today. Got the wings and nose done before the kiddo got tired. Crazy how well that stuff works, I was not expecting it. On another note, I had no idea there was a wash rack at SMO. Where is it located?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, R-Banger said:

Oh nice, yeah I went to town on the plane with the wash wax all today. Got the wings and nose done before the kiddo got tired. Crazy how well that stuff works, I was not expecting it. On another note, I had no idea there was a wash rack at SMO. Where is it located?

Roughly, opposite side of the runway across from self-serve fuel.

Thanks, will check it out. With how SMO is, I just assumed there would be some endangered fish or temperamental bird that would be offended by us having a wash rack so I went straight to probably not allowed.

Is the "no hose" applicable to grass strip based planes as well? As in, will the "dry wash" stuff work on the specks of mud that end up on the undersides of the wings and in wheel wells? Or is the mud washed off with plenty of low pressure water and the rest the "dry wash" route?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 11:41 PM, kortopates said:

I've been know to have Belly Cleaning parties regularly - all are invited and as a good host, I even supply the towels! ;)

Honestly though, I would never take a hose to my mistress. Cleaning her in the hangar is much better for her. 

I surely do remember when I was a new airplane owner and I had just rented my first hangar and I asked the guy where do people wash their planes? I couldn't even find a hose anywhere. I was shocked when he said everyone "dry washed" their planes in the hangar and he then showed me a bottle of cleaner wax he would spray on and wipe a 1'x1' section clean with a rag to show me. I was going something like really?!? There is got to be better way like washing a car? It wasn't for a few more years that I learned in A&P school how important it was to treat our aluminum mistresses with a much more delicate nature to avoid a premature death from corrosion. So I've never used a wash rack and expect I  never will. Besides, Belly cleaning parties in the hangar are so much more fun among friends.  :)

Technically you don't even need a hangar, shade will do.

I’ve washed mine with water several times and always dried it by flying it. I guess I did it wrong all these years.  (Face Palm)

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 7:08 AM, MrRodgers said:

I use Wash Wax All. It’s easily available at Aircraft Spruce.  They also have a degreaser product that is great as a belly wash.  I wouldn’t use anything else on my plane.

Yeah, same here.  Saves from having to hose the entire airplane down and potentially getting water into places where it shouldn't be.

I may even go further and take Paul's @gsxrpilot recommendation on a ceramic treatment for the paint at some point.  Have to read back through those threads...

Excellent advice here (as always).   

Threw a belly washing party this past Saturday, with pizza, beverages and music!   Light hose mist followed by Wash Wax All to clean the dirt followed by it's first real wax (Mothers Pure Brazilian Carnauba) since the new paint.    Unfortunately, due to social distancing, it was a "party of one" and took my entire day, but WOW, it made a big difference.   It's finally time for a new avatar!

Also purchased the ceramic coating recommended in the other thread, but waiting for a long term update before using it.....

• Like 2

No-hose method:

First:  GTechniq W5 citrus all purpose cleaner--diluted per instructions in large spray bottle

microfiber towels (cheap ones)

comfortable padded mechanic's creeper

use the above to degrease the belly a section at a time (3' x 3' or belly panels it'll be obvious)

meanwhile mix up:

Optimum no rinse approx 1 oz in a large spray bottle

more microfiber towels

Use the ONR and towels to remove soap residue from step 1 as panels are completed on the belly. Spray on ONR until wet, wipe dry with towel, polish with a dry towel.

Fuselage, top of wings, etc:

Optimum no rinse--1 oz in 2 gallons of water

Optimum Big Red Sponge see amazon

5 gallon bucket ($3 at home store)

microfiber towels (get the yellow ones, kirkland brand, see amazon)

method--thoroughly wet big red sponge in ONR solultion in bucket, squeeze out so it's still dripping, gently sqeeze and then wipe a panel of the plane (again this is obvious, about 3x3 but whatever feels right and still  very "wet")

-dry with a yellow microfiber towel

-polish/really dry with a fresh, dry microfiber towel.

repeat until airplane is completely clean.

then

-GTechniq Liquid Crystal C2V3 (see Amazon, get 500 ml)

-more yellow kirkland towels

method:  spray a nice looking amount , droplets generously on a panel (see above).  wipe with a yellow towel.  polish with a fresh towel. Repeat until whole plane is complete.

it's foolproof and it looks like this when done. look closely for reflections :D

IMG_20200830_124339018_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200419_150603409.jpg

IMG_20200419_152328259.jpg

IMG_20200419_152259634.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1