Whelen 7108055 (beacon) install woes

So I got this beacon from Alan and thought it was going to be super simple to install. Problem is, I cannot wrap my head around it. Maybe it’s the heat in Phoenix...

My problem is, the old grimes shroud/ring is screwed to the bottom of the fuselage with 5 screws on the outside and 5 nuts on the inside.

If I attach the ring on the fuselage I cannot mount the adapter/beacon. If I mount the adapter/beacon I cannot attach the ring.

I cannot reach my arms into any of the inspection panels far enough to do it and I really don’t want to crawl into the tail.

Any ideas?

c89096623464532671db526f2c41eb54.jpg

I must have climbed into the tail cone to get er done...
I looked on the shelf...
Mine looks a lot like yours...

Heat is going to make it extra challenging...

-a-

image.jpeg.b78a0ef7558eee08fb0837189e45c875.jpeg

Yea it’s def not fun. Between this and the shoulder harnesses I’m getting my ass kicked. Nut plates would fix the issue but I was under the impression these were about a 30 min job.

If you make headway with seat belts... you got further than I did... 
I sold my M20C with the new shoulder straps in a box...
MS was soooo new at the time...
Best regards,
-a-

That’s funny. Yea everyone says the right side is easy. It’s not. The left side is apparently 10x harder.

Again, it’s prob the 117* temps cooking my brain beyond its limit, which are low to begin with...
  • Haha 1

I changed mine out after Tornado n Fun, where I placed my order. It was the proverbial 30-minute job, but A&P oversight and pictures added a little. "Do this, I'll be right back". At least I wasn't in a hurry . . . The old adapter plate fit the new unit, then it went into the fuselage.

How did you get the old one out? That's how you should put the new one in. Here are mine immediately prior to installation of the new one, with the trim ring already attached.

image.thumb.jpg.6fc0051b354d24666057957e000b2fd7.jpg.01250a855fbf1ad0d8c7035b22adb94d.jpg

I don't have any other pictures except of the new one in place. Just be shre to slip the clear waterproof crimp cover onto thenwires before crimping them together . . . . 

54 minutes ago, CWM20f said:

I have a all white strobe light on the belly location - no read beacon anywhere.  If I have strobes on the wing tips am I required to keep the belly one?

No, but there are 2 goood reasons to keep it:

1.) redundancy in case either (or both) of your wingtip strobes fail, you'd still be legal to fly at night

2.) you can taxi around at night with only the belly strobe on, thus not annoying the crap out of the other pilots around you

I changed mine out after Tornado n Fun, where I placed my order. It was the proverbial 30-minute job, but A&P oversight and pictures added a little. "Do this, I'll be right back". At least I wasn't in a hurry . . . The old adapter plate fit the new unit, then it went into the fuselage.
How did you get the old one out? That's how you should put the new one in. Here are mine immediately prior to installation of the new one, with the trim ring already attached.
image.thumb.jpg.6fc0051b354d24666057957e000b2fd7.jpg.01250a855fbf1ad0d8c7035b22adb94d.jpg
I don't have any other pictures except of the new one in place. Just be shre to slip the clear waterproof crimp cover onto thenwires before crimping them together . . . . 

The old one came out by just turning the screws. It was pretty easy..

How about pull rivets?

Or
Invert the doubler so that it is external. It will hang down an extra inch or so.

I’m thinking rivets would be my last resort. Would make it a pain if I have to service anything. Nut plates are definitely the answer but a lot of work.

OK, If you are still stuck, maybe I could come over on Thursday. Or you could fly over to CHD.

Thank you for that. Can’t fly just yet, waiting to do a few more things.

I think I will fabricate a circular doubler for the inside of the fuselage with nut plates attached to it. That way it’ll sandwich the fuselage skin and be a little more rigid.
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Robert Hicks said:

That’s funny. Yea everyone says the right side is easy. It’s not. The left side is apparently 10x harder.

Having done the shoulder harness install I can vouch that while the right side isn't easy, after the 20X harder pilot side you'll think the right side is easy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Which one is the Whelen 7108055 (beacon) ?   Is that  same as the Whelen Orion 360?  I am not a fan climbing in tail either but since  I was  installing the wing and tail strobes. I rewired the strobes ,beacon and wing recognition lights as well. Got rid of 50 year wiring for exterior lighting any way. The left wing was a real pain. Not fun :angry:.

Looks like you have some great pictures to assist you. But if you would like I take a few of my Mooney if that would help.

Good luck on your project.

Side note: I do have aveo red baron beacon for sale if someone is interested. It was working when removed.

James '67C