Modern Winglets

Chris K

10 minutes ago, PhateX1337 said:

Welp, nevermind then.

Technically, they don't work with flat plates because of the aileron balance weights, BUT ... They do work when the balance weights are changed to the later style balance weights that are all internal to the OML wing surface. 

So, bottom line:  @PhateX1337Your bank account just got a little smaller, but the sex appeal of your airplane just soared!

PS. Aileron effectiveness and forces will go up slightly, too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PhateX1337 said:

@FlybyNite did you get a quote from them? I have a J with flat plates - curious what cost would be to add them as well.

$2700USD. I have a small crack in one of my lens that has not propagated since I've had the bird but it is there, so considering the cost to switch to whellen 650E's and order a new lens it was almost 1/2 the cost. I am hoping the the lens on the new winglet is a bit tougher then the .095" lexan. I am glad I was able to fabricate a new front landing light cover with homedepot .125" supplied material. The sheet was big enough to make my replacement and have enough left over for another one. Th old one was completely cracked and "repaired with silicon" to hold the pieces of plastic in place where the ligament was (area between holes and side wall). I kept the original hole size and used the flush screws w/ washers but I was contemplating using a smaller hole with pan head screws to strengthen the ligament area, but it wouldn't be as aerodynamic with the heads sticking out.

6 hours ago, Blue on Top said:

Technically, they don't work with flat plates because of the aileron balance weights, BUT ... They do work when the balance weights are changed to the later style balance weights that are all internal to the OML wing surface. 

So, bottom line:  @PhateX1337Your bank account just got a little smaller, but the sex appeal of your airplane just soared!

PS. Aileron effectiveness and forces will go up slightly, too.

Alright we're back in it - RIP to my wallet!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 11:29 PM, Yooper Rocketman said:

I wonder who that might be (sarcasm alert).  I can’t verify those claims, and know of no one jumping to those wingtips.  Makes me a bit suspicious of the true gain (if any) to those winglets.  

That said, I’ve had a ton of people ask me what advantage I gain from my sexy winglets.  I always respond honestly, nothing in airspeed, likely nothing in stability at altitude (the professed advantage).  But, I would install them on any Lancair IVPT purely for the visual aesthetics.  THEY LOOK FREAKIN AWESOME!  

My IVPT buddy in Australia, when hearing claims “you will LOOSE airspeed with winglets”, reminds our Lancair brethren that the two fastest turbine Lancair IVPT’s he knows of, mine and the late John Cook’s, both have winglets, and mine also has TKS!

Tom

610F4D75-0E71-4292-98D2-86CC6BCDBF14.jpeg

Your very honest, most aren’t. Winglets on almost any GA airplane won’t do much, because we don’t fly at very high angles of attack.

If you really want to go fast and if money allows, put a GE H-80 in that thing.

On 2/10/2021 at 10:28 AM, PhateX1337 said:

@FlybyNite did you get a quote from them? I have a J with flat plates - curious what cost would be to add them as well.

Aprox $2700, I had a crack lens on one side and the cost of Whelan LED lights pushed the cost to retrofit my existing winglets to the point I figured just get the newer design.

• Like 1