Modern Winglets

Chris K

51 minutes ago, kortopates said:

I’ve done it, not with Lasar’s but with my factory wingtips and have done it twice now with 2 different antenna’s. After exhaustive speed runs, by my excel calculations the speed difference came out 3.14159 kts. at 9500’ +/- 3
;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Touche'!

Who here remembers that one time I posted one million digits of pi, but then everyone got mad at me since it ended up freezing up people's downloads?  I learned a lesson that day.  Friends don't use too many significant digits with friends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

Touche'!

Who here remembers that one time I posted one million digits of pi, but then everyone got mad at me since it ended up freezing up people's downloads?  I learned a lesson that day.  Friends don't use too many significant digits with friends.

Erik,

I can't believe there is single MSer around at the time that doesn't forget that!

But FTR, I surely didn't have an issue with it, I like significant digits as much as any nerd ;) How about 2 million on your next b-day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

Erik,

I can't believe there is single MSer around at the time that doesn't forget that!

But FTR, I surely didn't have an issue with it, I like significant digits as much as any nerd ;) How about 2 million on your next b-day!

Thanks for remembering - 2 million on my next birthday?  You got it!  :-)

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2020 at 4:01 PM, Kris_Adams said:

Any chance someone knows what it would take to get an order through?  Do we need a minimum of 10 people to sign up?  I'm pretty sure I'd be up for this.  -K

Is the Aveo Wingtip not for the short bodies? I can see if Damien at Aveo may want to use a customer for certification for a short body. If it already is good to go then you can buy them.

-Seth

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Seth said:

Is the Aveo Wingtip not for the short bodies? I can see if Damien at Aveo may want to use a customer for certification for a short body. If it already is good to go then you can buy them.

-Seth

Didn't think it covered the J. Would love to hear if it does. -K

• 2 weeks later...

I saw some very large dihedral winglets custom made for a Lancair IV-P, flight testing show pretty amazing gains in cruise speed, climb rate and also contributed to a reduction in stall speeds.  https://www.kitplanes.com/taming-the-lancair-iv/  

Makes me wonder if going BIG (presuming enough directional tail surface) might have similarly positive effects on Mooney's?

On 7/30/2020 at 6:16 PM, Seth said:

Nothing for the short bodies at the moment, and only for the later model J's/K's. 

In the past when we've talked with Aveo, they seem to be focused on building parts for US military drones. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Blue on Top said:

If a winglet helps in cruise, it says the airplane doesn't have enough wing ... or has gained too much weight.

10 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

Be still, my beating heart!  Man, such great childhood memories :wub::wub:

196AA62A-C636-4D4B-BB75-C5E1BFA74FC4.jpeg

I’ll bet this winglet helps with cruising  on a Saturday night !! :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Redwolfldg said:

I saw some very large dihedral winglets custom made for a Lancair IV-P, flight testing show pretty amazing gains in cruise speed, climb rate and also contributed to a reduction in stall speeds.  https://www.kitplanes.com/taming-the-lancair-iv/  

Makes me wonder if going BIG (presuming enough directional tail surface) might have similarly positive effects on Mooney's?

I read that article through - sign me up!

The lancair gained 20 knots in cruise (out of what - 300?) and lowered its stall speed by 10knots.  And improved stall characteristics.  Seems like a fantastic deal for them.

Huh - I would be happy with 12 knots faster cruise since I am only 2/3 the speed.  And 5 knots slower stall would be impressive.

Edited by aviatoreb

On 7/24/2020 at 8:14 PM, kortopates said:

Erik,

I remember that too.

-Seth

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard RedWolf...

We have a Mooney Rocket, now Lancair IVPT owner around here...

We could ask him...

Best regards,

-a-

I wonder who that might be (sarcasm alert).  I can’t verify those claims, and know of no one jumping to those wingtips.  Makes me a bit suspicious of the true gain (if any) to those winglets.  

That said, I’ve had a ton of people ask me what advantage I gain from my sexy winglets.  I always respond honestly, nothing in airspeed, likely nothing in stability at altitude (the professed advantage).  But, I would install them on any Lancair IVPT purely for the visual aesthetics.  THEY LOOK FREAKIN AWESOME!  

My IVPT buddy in Australia, when hearing claims “you will LOOSE airspeed with winglets”, reminds our Lancair brethren that the two fastest turbine Lancair IVPT’s he knows of, mine and the late John Cook’s, both have winglets, and mine also has TKS!

Tom

610F4D75-0E71-4292-98D2-86CC6BCDBF14.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/19/2020 at 8:51 PM, gsxrpilot said:

Yeah, I put them on to soon in the ownership of 252AD so I don't know if they made any improvement in performance. I like the look of them and they include the LED Nav and Strobe lights. 

They don't extend past the aileron but are flush with the trailing edge.

IMG_3934.thumb.jpeg.904ee18c40a6c0f4e6b04aec3e9e13fb.jpeg

IMG_4032.thumb.jpeg.83abd6074fda4b109bfca404bb4a1a3c.jpeg

How have they held up after 3 years in service? Looking to upgrade at my next annual.