Modern J Interior - Removing Back Seats

2 hours ago, Oldguy said:

I think the key to the confusion can be solved by looking at the date the manual was issued on an earlier post in the thread. 1-96 Since he said his plane had a new interior installed by the factory in 2007, it likely has this newer mechanism. We older mid bodies have the quick on-and-off seat backs. The only difficulty is when someone forgets to undo the velcro at the bottom of the seat back. :wacko:

Well, this is interesting. I looked at several POH descriptions for folding the rear seats. 

M20J Rev B 1997 describes repositioning the frame on the pivot rods.

M20K Rev D 1984 does not

M20R Rev G 2000 does

M20V Rev A 2017 does not, but describes how to remove the seat ftame completely.

I’d be surprised if Mooney has changed the mechanism over the years. What I noticed on my 1994 M20J is that the seat frame folds down without repositioning the frame on the pivot rods, but it fits much better and puts less strain on the rods if repositioned.

Skip

• Like 1

Some updates ... looks like the arms of my seat backs have two "slots" for the seat back to slide into the rails on (see first and last pictures. If I put them into the other slot, they don't lay flat - the bolt/silver arm sticking out in the last picture blocks it.

However, if I flip the seat back over and slide it down, it lays flat in the seat pan, but then the dual slots are sticking up still.

...I give up, not sure how these are supposed to lay flat otherwise!

IMG_3801.jpg

IMG_3799.jpg

IMG_3800.jpg

IMG_3798.jpg

It sure seems like Mooney made the folding seat mechanism worse in later models. Here is a short video of how they work in my 1987 M20K 252. There is no need or ability to move the seat back or detach it. It folds down flush without leaving any gap behind the seat. It makes a nice flat, level floor that is from the rear of the baggage floor to the front edge of the spar.

• Like 1

Nice video, Paul. As you can see, the seat back attach points on yours are different than in the picture @PhateX1337 posted. All I can figure is that the idea was to move the rear seat back aft about 2.5 inches when upright giving a little more back seat room at the expense of complicating the fold down procedure.

Skip

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PT20J said:

Nice video, Paul. As you can see, the seat back attach points on yours are different than in the picture @PhateX1337 posted. All I can figure is that the idea was to move the rear seat back aft about 2.5 inches when upright giving a little more back seat room at the expense of complicating the fold down procedure.

Skip

It looks like that's exactly what they did...interesting design choice. Thanks for the picture edit to illustrate @PT20J - clear I was just missing that last step. Will try it again when I'm back at the plane!

• 9 months later...
18 minutes ago, 87-205SE said:

87   same problem.  83 fit flat.   87 is plush and won't fold flat.   Seatbacks "built in" and not easily removable.

Make sure you completely unfasten the velcro at the bottom of the backs and try using your hand around the lower edges to keep the upholstery from hanging up on the frame when you slide it off.