PhateX1337

Modern J Interior - Removing Back Seats

New to me 77 J had a modern interior installed at Mooney factory in ‘07 (removed old bench seat then). Are these seats removable? What do the 2 black pull handles down by the fire extinguisher do? 

260183E4-FDAF-4F06-AB5A-CA2DFD9490EC.jpeg

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

Nice interior!! If it's similar to the late model J seats, they are removable.  The 2 latches are for reclining the backrest and you pull up on them to adjust.

To remove, you would take the seat cushions off, remove the back cover and fold the backs into the seat pan.  The late model POH has a good description.

• Like 2

Yeah it's super easy. Thanks @Mcstealth

1. Remove the seat bottom cushions. They are only held in with some velcro and will come right out. 
  2. Now reach under the seat back. There is a strip of velcro at the base of the seat back connecting the cushion front to the back. Disconnect that velcro.
  3. Slide the seat back cushion up and off the seat back frame. 
  4. Use the black T handle to fold the seat back down into the floor.
  5. The black T handle can be used to adjust the angle of the back seat anytime. And might make it easier to do step 2 if you adjust the angle.

I figure I can remove both back seats in about 60 seconds and it takes 90 seconds to put them back in.

At 26 lbs for the total of the cushions, mine live mostly in the hangar. 

Super helpful, thanks all! Will give it a shot next time I’m at the plane. I can’t believe those cushions are 26lbs total?!?! Insane.

PS - @gsxrpilot I also recently replaced my gma340 with pma450b based largely on your feedback that it helped a lot with random airframe feedback/noise - you were spot on, great upgrade and been really enjoying it. Thanks!

• Like 3

My 87 205, unlike my 83 J that folded so easily, is plush and so thick that I finally gave up and just let the clubs have the seats.  Probably factory as SN 1 was probably factory and they wanted it to have a coach look.   

Somehow I can remove the seat bottoms (1986 J) and fold the seat backs down using the lever in the center. I can find the velcro under the seat backs and I can undo it. I cannot find a way to remove the seat back covers though. It appears to be glued. Am I missing a step somewhere? Did someone glue the foam onto the setback frame during an old reupholstery job?

Does anyone have a picture of how this looks in real life? The description in the POH is not helping me.

3 hours ago, Eduleo said:

Somehow I can remove the seat bottoms (1986 J) and fold the seat backs down using the lever in the center. I can find the velcro under the seat backs and I can undo it. I cannot find a way to remove the seat back covers though. It appears to be glued. Am I missing a step somewhere? Did someone glue the foam onto the setback frame during an old reupholstery job?

Does anyone have a picture of how this looks in real life? The description in the POH is not helping me.

Its very possible a prior owner had or did some work to your rear seats that ended up altering your seat backs. Unless someone doing upholstery work on the bird fully understands how the seats are designed they are very likely to take shortcuts. I found my seat backs had screws to hold them place - it was just a economy route someone took. To fully restore my rear seats to be fully functional in beautiful leather I sent them off to AeroComfort and he fixed them properly to be fully easily removable again. You may be in a similar situation when you break through the glue and find more seat back issues. But you should be able to undo the hidden velcro at the base of the seat back and slip the seat cover up for removal revealing the aluminum seat back pan.

5 hours ago, Eduleo said:

BTW... it's not just the "seat back cover" that comes off. It's the cover with the cushion. The whole thing slides up off the seat frame leaving just a metal frame with a piece of carpet on the back. I find that I have to tilt the seat back to get at the velcro and then tilt the seat forward to lift the cushion up and off.

9 hours ago, Eduleo said:

I had the same problem until I finally figured it out. Pull up on the seat back T handle and pull forward on the seat back until it rotates forward freely so you can work on it. Undo the velcro. Then, run your fingers around the opening at the bottom that was closed by the velcro and work the edges of the opening wider so that you can pull the upholstery and cushion (they are glued together) off the frame. 

There is one last step in Paul's @gsxrpilot instructions if you are going to put any significant weight on the seat back once folded down. Remove the hitch pin Lee @laytonl mentioned and pull the frame off the arms. Then replace it into sockets in the frame that are nearest the carpeted top. This allows the frame to fold down fully into the seat well.

The POH instructions reproduced by @elimansour are factually correct, but only made sense to me after about half an hour of fooling around in the airplane and trying things and rereading them and trying something else.

Skip

• Thanks 1