Second push to talk button for co-pilot

As I get older the reality of our eventual outcome of this game becomes more obvious.  Just because I am going to die doesn’t mean I have to take my wife with me.  So my wife doesn’t have to pull my headset off my dead corpse and have to reach over to press my push to talk button...how difficult and expensive is it to have a second button installed on the co-pilot side that is tied to her headset?  If it’s more than 1amu, I am ok with her having to use my headset.

• Haha 2

The short answer is "it depends".  Do you have an audio panel and intercom?  Just an audio panel?  Just an intercom?  Just nav coms with no audio panel or intercom?  What brand equipment do you have?  For the most part it is nothing more than 2 wires and a push to talk button.....   

Mark

• Like 2

Minimal expense to help your wife begin the grieving/partying process... :)

1) A switch and a wire... connected to the existing systems... Often mounted on the instrument panel.  A permanent mount on the yoke is quite a bit more involved...

next on the list... still not very expensive...

2) Right seat ready class

Off the charts expensive...

3) That auto land button.... may require buying another aircraft...

What do you have for an audio panel, and intercom device?

For best results use an avionics shop...

PP thoughts only, not an avionics tech...

best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, markgrue said:

The short answer is "it depends".  Do you have an audio panel and intercom?  Just an audio panel?  Just an intercom?  Just nav coms with no audio panel or intercom?  What brand equipment do you have?  For the most part it is nothing more than 2 wires and a push to talk button.....   

Mark

⬆️⬆️⬆️

Mark, above, is right- it depends on what you have installed.  But assuming you have a reasonably modern intercom, it should only be about 2-3 hours labor (less than 5).  It will be more if you want it on the yoke, and even then may not be possible.

My suggestion- don't put it on the yoke.  Mount it straight on the instrument panel:

IMG_1694.JPG

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, markgrue said:

Mark

Since a picture is worth 1000 words here is a snapshot of my panel. The majority of my instruments are steam gauges but I like my audio system.

and if she can land it without killing herself the party will start.

EAB6FE80-AD4B-483E-870C-AB992277E07D.jpeg

okay easy enough.  2 wires from the mic jack to a pushbutton in  the panel right next to the mic jack and you are done.  Or you can get a push to talk that plugs into the mic jack and plug the headset into it as in the post above.  I personally dont like them but they seem to work for the most part.  

Mark

Tried putting one of those velcro yoke switches in my friends J and it did not work......nothing is as easy as it seems..he may have bought one for use with hand held radios.....and he had a stand alone intercom and a very old audio control panel.

I had one installed on the right side of the instrument panel...this way the right seater can do all the talking and not move the yoke when the left seater is flying...

bugs the crap out of me at work when the other pilot uses the yoke switch while I am hand flying....its like man hands from Seinfeld.....do you really have to put a death grip on the yoke to talk?  In my best NJ accent....WTF !!!!

IMG_3210.jpeg

image.png.e7e7ded87c984a0359c0252f1b751c5c.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4