50 years ago. A sentimental journey.

I had a great time following your adventures! You’re a great storyteller! I am a little sad that it’s over. . Thanks for posting the pictures along with the story! I have a 1964 M20C Mark 21, and I’m hoping to make a cross country trip like that in the future. Thanks again for sharing such fond memories of your life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ruff Air said:

I had a great time following your adventures! You’re a great storyteller! I am a little sad that it’s over. emoji3526.png. Thanks for posting the pictures along with the story! I have a 1964 M20C Mark 21, and I’m hoping to make a cross country trip like that in the future. Thanks again for sharing such fond memories of your life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the kind words. I’m glad you enjoyed it. I hope that your cross country adventures will be as memorable as mine.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2020 at 2:36 PM, BKlott said:

Friday, July 31, 1970

13th leg. Amarillo, TX (TDW) to Winslow, AZ (INW).

We got up early, again, this time with an actual wake-up call and headed back to Tradewinds Airport. The plan was to parallel I-40 heading West towards Winslow, our very first stop on this trip. We covered the 503 mile distance in 3 hours and 15 minutes. I asked Dad if we could spend the night? This was partially because I was tired but mostly because I didn’t want this grand adventure to end. Dad said “no”, that we needed to get home.

14th leg. Winslow, AZ (INW) to Torrance, CA. (TOA).

It was hot in Winslow and Dad was concerned about takeoff performance. He did something on this takeoff that I never saw him do before. After getting some speed on the roll, he reached for the flap lever and gave her a couple of pumps of flap. Instead of launching the plane into ground effect, it caused the Mooney to start skipping down the runway. Three heart pounding skips later, we were airborne and climbing slowly away.

The 442 miles back home to Torrance went by in 3 hours and 10 minutes. We had covered some 945 miles on this last day in 6 hours and 25 minutes of flying. This brought our total return trip to 2,543 miles in 19 hours and 10 minutes. Our first family flying vacation was over. Dad had finally realized his boyhood dream of flying his own airplane across the country.

Epilogue

Not long after returning home, Dad received a letter from his old flying buddy, “Reds” Honaker. “Reds” had enclosed a newspaper clipping of an airplane accident. Richard “Rip” Davis, the nice man who shared his plate of fries with me at the Bridgeport Airport Cafe, had been killed. It was the first time in my life that I would know someone who had been killed in an airplane accident. It would not be the last.

Charlie Hillard would go on to become the first American to win the World Aerobatic Championship in 1972. He would also join up with Gene Soucy and Tom Poberezny to form first “The Red Devils” and later “The Eagles” aerobatic teams. Sadly, he would lose his life in a freak accident following a performance at the Sun-n-fun Fly-in in 1996.

Following this trip, Dad would fly his Mooney just eighteen more times, including day trips to both Palm Springs and Santa Barbara. Then, with Mom facing surgery and uncertainty about when or if she would be able to return to work, coupled with a slowdown in orders at the factory where Dad worked and facing the possibility of layoffs, Dad decided to sell his Mooney.

Then, in a mean twist of fate, shortly after the Mooney was sold, orders picked back up at the factory and Mom was able to return to work. Dad didn’t need to sell the Mooney after all, but it was too late, zero six Uniform was gone.

I would not see the Mooney again for another twelve years. I was a Student Pilot, 26 years old, and I took a drive up to Hawthorne Airport on a whim. There, sitting across the runway, was Dad’s old Mooney.

BA358485-1939-41B7-AB2C-1A6367D03247.jpegIt had the same paint scheme but the colors had all faded and some of the striping had worn away.

A64954F1-923B-46FC-90E5-0335EDAB6F12.jpegI was shocked by it’s appearance. Then I remembered the first weekend that we had owned it back at Torrance. We washed the Mooney from top to bottom and then Dad climbed underneath it to clean every bit of grease and grime off the belly. I thought of Dad, lying on his back on the ramp at Torrance Airport, cleaning his shiny airplane with great pride and the tears began to flow. It was one of the saddest moments of my life.

In 1984 I moved East with my family and not long after that, the Mooney did too. Somehow I managed to locate the new owner and sent him a letter. He actually replied and sent me this picture:

EB1D986D-800C-4232-931C-2F06A998D204.jpegThe Mooney had been re-painted and was all spruced up again! It was a happy day for me and Dad liked it too, but the Mooney wasn’t done with us yet.

On July 8, 2010, Dad and I decided to fly down to Sebring for Lunch. Dad was at the controls of our Skyhawk. He landed on Sebring’s long North-South runway and as he made the first turnoff I noticed a Mooney parked on the ramp with a familiar registration number. I pointed and said “Dad, you’re going to want to park right next to that Mooney” and he did. 

We had a nice visit with the current owner who caught us up on all that had happened to it since Dad sold the plane in 1971. The interior Dad had put in was gone, as was the Mark 12 with the Mooney faceplate and the Bendix ADF. Forty years to the month of that special summer vacation, Dad, his old Mooney and me were together again. To this day it remains one of my favorite memories.

43E06E9B-D5A5-4D2A-BD2E-F4587AB70B62.jpegMy Dad with our Skyhawk.

Nicely done.  I hope I remember my early flying adventures with my dad as well as you have!

• Like 2