MS FS2020

I have been trying to get the beta version to download for half a year or so...

Somebody on their team was collecting Mooney pics for their development years ago...

I’m looking to buy a new PC... because the old one is coming up on the decade mark....

I’ll be matching the specs closely....   :)

MSFS needs an NA Mooney...

I may need to visit the Mooney factory... if I have to.... :)

Best regards,

-a-

24 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Somebody on their team was collecting Mooney pics for their development years ago...

I’m looking to buy a new PC... because the old one is coming up on the decade mark....

Best regards,

-a-

Too many Cessnas. And if an SR22 can make it, definitely a Mooney belongs there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

I moved over to a new desktop after nearly seven years. Since I also use it for business it took me a week to migrate everything over from the old one, mostly re-installing and configuring programs from Microsoft Office to a half dozen different VPN clients to Citirx. It was no easy task. And then there were the customized look and feel settings.

On 7/17/2020 at 5:49 PM, wishboneash said:

No Mooneys....

They are not supported in the current slow GPUs, so you may need to write some fast Cuda code yourself (joking obviously, you can load and fly Mooney, Hornets, Blackbirds and Falcon9 in FSX)

I’ve been anticipating this with my breath held.  I will obviously need a new PC to run this as my current 12 year old model won’t run much now. Any place online that actually outlines specs to run this program properly?  I’d prefer not buying/building a $3k machine and then monitors.......  Actually, I don’t need perfect graphics and emulation, I’ll jump in the real thing, maybe I need the last version of MS FS. 

23 hours ago, Ibra said:

They are not supported in the current slow GPUs, so you may need to write some fast Cuda code yourself (joking obviously, you can load and fly Mooney, Hornets, Blackbirds and Falcon9 in FSX)

Yes, I have FSX and a several other older version of MSFS which have the Mooney. Thank goodness for that :)

On 7/17/2020 at 6:20 PM, wcb said:

Xplane does not have Mooneys.  You have to buy them separate.  I wonder will they have a community like Xplane that will build add ons!

I bought the J from Carenado and deeply regret it. It flies all wrong - compared to the native 172, it's a joke.

Just now, Ricky_231 said:

I bought the J from Carenado and deeply regret it. It flies all wrong - compared to the native 172, it's a joke.

I have that J and the Ovation.  I use the Ovation and like you do not really like the J.  Also the actual instruments make a difference and the use of Air Manager is important and wonder how FS will compare to make my panel as close to my real panel.

35 minutes ago, Nick Pilotte said:

I’ve been anticipating this with my breath held.  I will obviously need a new PC to run this as my current 12 year old model won’t run much now. Any place online that actually outlines specs to run this program properly?  I’d prefer not buying/building a $3k machine and then monitors.......  Actually, I don’t need perfect graphics and emulation, I’ll jump in the real thing, maybe I need the last version of MS FS. 

There is a YouTube link above that reviews three levels of recommendations for hardware...

Depending on your level of avid fan ness...  gobs of memory may be required to fly around the world in one night....

A really strong NVidea branded video card would be great for supporting all those graphics...

And more cores the better... for the main processor...

I don't recall any mention of recommended hardware for the yoke...

Steam... the company that hosts its on line sales and distribution... used to have a one time price, and what appeared to be endless updates...

All info from my fuzzy Old memory... 

:)

-a-

13 hours ago, wishboneash said:

Yes, I have FSX and a several other older version of MSFS which have the Mooney. Thank goodness for that

The Mooney Bravo on FSX and old versions looks nice & slick and it seems to behave well as it is a native aircraft rather than junk add-on, had a Gear Up landing in Mooney in that FSX Bravo: fat finger on "G button" that pressed twice and then I failed to re-check visual with an outside view from the tower :D

Honestly, MS FS2020 should have been released between March and June this year in the middle of the covid19 lockdown, at least one has enough time to circle the world :lol: I recall even my wife started to get interested in FSX flying and did few online RT practice, she was depressed all shopping centres and green parks were closed, while online gammers seems to have an easy life those days, well aside from the slow internet connection :lol:

Edited by Ibra

On 7/18/2020 at 1:13 AM, carusoam said:

Best regards,

-a-

Early last year I upgraded my 12-year old home-built PC to an HP Omen Obelisk with a few tweaks - got the Intel i7-8700 CPU and the Nvidia RTX-2080. The GPU alone cost 1 AMU, but it's well worth it. The whole setup, computer + Oculus VR + 4K monitor + rudder pedals/Yoke/throttle quadrant from Saitek cost me around $2.5k.

I can easily play Xplane 11 with all setting on maximum, in 4K, with a 30-60 fps rate (clouds and fancy airports will slow it down a bit). I can also play it in VR (which is my default unless I'm actually practicing approaches/instrument stuff), but have to dial down reflections and some of the graphic detail, but the effect is still outstanding. It's good enough to trick your brain into actually "feeling" the turns - and crashing will raise your heart rate quite a bit.

The only thing i'm thinking of changing for MSFS2020 is adding more RAM. I only have 16GB (DDR4), and am thinking I could probably benefit from double that amount.

My entire life I always built my own PCs, but nowadays you can actually buy a branded PC, like an HP, and customize it enough that you get all the parts you want, for cheaper than building it yourself, next-day delivery, and warranty/tech support to boot.

• Like 2

I wasn't surprised that Mooney's were not available but I was surprised that Piper isn't represented.

It looks like this is more for pilot wannabe's rather than real pilots being able to use it as a tool for our own planes/benefits/training.

Edited by WaynePierce
second thought

2 hours ago, WaynePierce said:

I wasn't surprised that Mooney's were not available but I was surprised that Piper isn't represented.

It looks like this is more for pilot wannabe's rather than real pilots being able to use it as a tool for our own planes/benefits/training.

It is the most imperfect simulator for pilot use...

But, for home use... it is way better than no simulator at all...

Perfect for those things you want to review if you haven’t done them in a while....  It can knock light rust off your procedural skills...

There may come a time in life when memory skills become more of a challenge...  the simulator makes a great method for keeping an eye on aging skills....

Of course, if you fly every other day... you won’t either need it or notice it....   :)

If you have gone a month without flying... an hour on the sim, can be an excellent brain exercise ...

When it is too easy to be a benefit... turn up the weather... lower the ceilings, add some convective activity...

Oddly, what the old Bravo does... doesn’t handle flap’s change of Center of Lift accurately.... and rips the wings off exactly at Vne....

The BK radio representation is perfect for mid 90s Mooneys... if you needed to learn buttonology... or ILS intercept strategies...  the G1000 is probably pretty good too, I just don’t have the experience...

Some days it is tough being human... rewarding but tough... :)

Best regards,

-a-

On 7/23/2020 at 4:55 PM, MIm20c said:

I’m surprised they didn’t use the monthly subscription BS that most companies are using now...

Most likely because they wanted to offer it through Steam, and I don't believe steam will allow any monthly sub games through their service. I could be wrong, but I've never seen one in the last 15 years.

Welcome aboard Zombie!

I use the Steam version of the last MSFT... it was a few dollars cheaper than buying a disc version... and downloadable immediately...

Every now and then and update comes in...

One time price... flys on....
if it were a monthly sub... it would be close to a $1...?

Best regards,

-a-