Keeping the cockpit cool when parked outside

I recently flew to a destination, tied down, shade on the front screen. Came time to leave its 100 degF outdoors and maybe 120 in the cockpit.. sweat pouring into my eyes, damn! It gets hot here in Texas.  I’m more concerned for my passengers and their comfort and safety.. and then find myself in a hurry to get the engine started for cooling.  Then in a hurry to climb to altitude for cooler air. Hazardous attitude! So is there some sort of solar powered ventilation fan available to hang in the vent window to keep the cockpit closer to OAT when parked?  Will that even help?

This worked really well for me yesterday: about 90F outside, airplane was there  from about 1130 to 1600. Cooler than ambient inside when the cover came off.. pilots vent was left open baggage and entry door closed and locked.

IMG_20200715_114909628.jpg

45 minutes ago, carusoam said:

I always put the cover on the plane and leave vents and window open...

That was enough for NJ...

Inexpensive Solar solutions don’t work well with electric motors...

A portable battery may work well...

Best regards,

-a-

Carosam, where did you get yours? Thanks.

4 minutes ago, PJClark said:

This worked really well for me yesterday: about 90F outside, airplane was there  from about 1130 to 1600. Cooler than ambient inside when the cover came off.. pilots vent was left open baggage and entry door closed and locked.

IMG_20200715_114909628.jpg

Yep, that works for me too. With 2 people, it's a 60-second install. 

Finish preflight before removing, throw inside baggage door then climb aboard. Engine is running before cabin heats up too much. Fold up and put away after returning to hangar.

• Like 1

I got some of this from the Aviation isle at HomeDepot and cut my own window shades. I put them in every window anytime I'm parked outside. They do a great job of keeping the internal temp down.

They also keep prying eyes out of my cockpit when it's tied down on the ramp.

reflectix-radiant-barrier-bp24025-64_1000.thumb.jpg.a5f152b70bc755495151b16fb7545984.jpg

• Like 1

My cover came from Jim Cancil of aircraft covers....

Good for keeping the heat out.. the rain out... prying eyes out...

Fortunately, Jim was able to retire after many decades of work...

The closest, well thought out, cover to Jim’s... for Mooneys is Bruce’s...   

Many MSers use Bruce...   more on the West Coast...

Best regards,

-a-

36 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I got some of this from the Aviation isle at HomeDepot and cut my own window shades. I put them in every window anytime I'm parked outside. They do a great job of keeping the internal temp down.

They also keep prying eyes out of my cockpit when it's tied down on the ramp.

reflectix-radiant-barrier-bp24025-64_1000.thumb.jpg.a5f152b70bc755495151b16fb7545984.jpg

^^This!   The stuff weighs nothing, and I keep the pieces on the hat shelf in my airplane along with some rope lengths for tie downs when I need them.   This stuff is very easy to cut to fit the windscreen or any window, and will often just sit in place if you cut it to make a little bit of an interference fit when in place.   The previous owner of my airplane had put a couple velcro spots in some windows, so I use that to help hold it in, too, but it's probably not necessary.   This stuff makes a huge difference.   The previous owner stored the airplane outside for twenty years near Las Vegas with this stuff in the windows, and the airplane held up fine.

This is one of those plane spotter pics of my airplane outside near LV before I had it.

616877.jpg

• Like 1

I just bought this...

OPOLAR 10000mAh Rechargeable Fan, 8-inch Portable Battery Operated Clip on Fan, Quiet & Strong Airflow USB Fan, 4 Speeds Personal Desk Fan, 24 Hours Work Time 

Better than I expected, sturdy and quiet. The battery lasts forever and I can recharge it from my battery pack I always carry with me. The clamp is very strong. Just a PIREP!

• Like 1

I fly out to my office which is in the desert and there are some stinking hot days from time to time. A couple of days ago it was 118 degrees. I have used both the cover and the reflective window covering, I prefer the plane cover. With the cover on I leave the baggage door popped and the little pilot window open. When I use a cover it feels like I have less heat radiating through the ceiling and less heat soaking of the plane. One nice thing with the reflective window covering is you can leave a few of them in place to keep the sun from beating on you until you get the plane started.  These days I park under a shade hangar and the plane has A/C so life is good.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PJClark said:

@Yourpilotincommand it came with my airplane, it's  a Bruce custom cover.  Not cheap and mine still has the old Mexican reg number embroidered on it.. thinking about fixing that,, but meanwhile it works, weighs 8#, and is very easy on and off

Plus one on Bruce’s covers. Mine came with one as well. Excellent quality. And the underside has wonderful non-abrasive material. 

13 hours ago, kmyfm20s said:

I fly out to my office which is in the desert and there are some stinking hot days from time to time. A couple of days ago it was 118 degrees. I have used both the cover and the reflective window covering, I prefer the plane cover. With the cover on I leave the baggage door popped and the little pilot window open. When I use a cover it feels like I have less heat radiating through the ceiling and less heat soaking of the plane. One nice thing with the reflective window covering is you can leave a few of them in place to keep the sun from beating on you until you get the plane started.  These days I park under a shade hangar and the plane has A/C so life is good.

Are you out at KIPL?  I used to see an Eagle parked out there a couple years back during my private.  I've considered moving to kearny mesa area and fly commuting to the hospitals out there if the scheduling/finances works out.

21 minutes ago, firelog1101 said:

Are you out at KIPL?  I used to see an Eagle parked out there a couple years back during my private.  I've considered moving to kearny mesa area and fly commuting to the hospitals out there if the scheduling/finances works out.

Yes