Negativity

Bob - S50

Back to negativity. 

So Textron buying Lycoming didn't help the restart of piston singles at Cessna.  It doubled the price of the engines and lowered the reliability ... especially the crankshafts.  And a couple test pilots got to be glider pilots.  After a good competition, Textron came in and said the new airplanes would have Lycoming engines in them. :( 

Just now, Blue on Top said:

Back to negativity. 

So Textron buying Lycoming didn't help the restart of piston singles at Cessna.  It doubled the price of the engines and lowered the reliability ... especially the crankshafts.  And a couple test pilots got to be glider pilots.  After a good competition, Textron came in and said the new airplanes would have Lycoming engines in them. :( 

Yes, please keep this thread from drifting into the positive territory!! :lol:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Blue on Top said:

And a couple test pilots got to be glider pilots

Was that in the test pilots job description? 

I expect experience in the following area is highly appreciated in that job: gliding, parachute jumping, firefighting and greco-roman wrestling :lol:

• Haha 2

On 8/1/2020 at 1:03 PM, 0TreeLemur said:

True, most people feel elevated stress right now.  It doesn't help that some businesses/employers and employees are on the ropes.   My excuse is that we've been grounded in the queue for an engine repair that keeps getting pushed back for two months....  I'm so grumpy I've pretty much stopped posting.

Not sure what computing stress has to do with it.  Mohr's circle? :P

Mohr's circle? Is that up there with Cavanaugh maps and Boolean Logic?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Ibra said:

Was that in the test pilots job description? 

I expect experience in the following area is highly appreciated in that job: gliding, parachute jumping, firefighting and greco-roman wrestling :lol:

We do always have an "out" if the engine quits ... especially new engines.  Sadly, I don't understand why people don't know where they are going until AFTER the engine quits, and then they figure it out ... or time/gravity figures it our for them.  All y'all need to get a glider rating.  You'll learn that in your first couple flights.  It's an easy rating.  Plus, it counts for a Flight Review!

We do get routine training on parachutes (remember, these are not sport parachutes ... it's our backup way home),  No firefighting; we run ... or jump!  Greco-Roman wrestling comes in handy when trying to get out! (there's more to that story :) )   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Blue on Top said:

Greco-Roman wrestling comes in handy when trying to get out! (there's more to that story :) )

What happened please tell more about that story :lol: was it someone losing a glider fight and decided to hit you on the tail? or the head?

Let me guess: you bailed under the chute (proper airmen captains leave their aircrafts :)) while him stayed and landed his aircraft (proper navy captains stays with their boat :))

Edited by Ibra

On 8/4/2020 at 9:28 PM, bradp said:

Scotty explains dilithium crystals are limited to experimental category - so the enterprise is using lead acid crystals instead, and can only achieve warp 2. 

The first time they tried to enter earths' orbit, the enterprise was "coal rolled" by a couple of jealous Saturn V rockets

13 minutes ago, EricJ said:

In the spririt of the thread, no it won't.

;)

RIGHT!  It will look like it will be the all time best but then it will become a disappointment in the end when someone stands in with overtly political assertions that gets everyone angry and it will get locked out.  Thus a disappointment to all of us ending in anger and hurt feelings.

9 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

RIGHT!  It will look like it will be the all time best but then it will become a disappointment in the end when someone stands in with overtly political assertions that gets everyone angry and it will get locked out.  Thus a disappointment to all of us ending in anger and hurt feelings.

Seriously!!!??? Do you really have to be so negative????  (jocularity) :D

I’m just trying to being funny ( well, maybe not so funny, but at least I’m trying  ):o

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Ibra said:

What happened please tell more about that story :lol: 

Ironically, it's not as easy to get out of an airplane as you think it might be.  Test airplanes for decades had a knotted rope running longitudinally to get the crew from their stations to the exit ... to jump out.  Before the Citation X flew, we took the front half of a Citation III fuselage and rotated it vertically down to see how long it would take to bail out.  Time ended up being measured in minutes ... not seconds.  We totally redesigned with metal foot/hand holds every 6".  And, all of this is with the airplane not gyrating like it would be in reality.