Negativity

Bob - S50

Just now, Hank said:

Shirley few (no?) boaters check Notices to Mariners. Bet there are no laws / regulations that require such, either.

Shirley if you mess with them the coasties will come shoot you.   There is one for the Houston Ship Channel saying you can't be there without checking in to channel control.

5 hours ago, 1001001 said:

Nope, as space gets busier, they need nav and recognition lights just like everyone else.  Transponders too. 

If you look carefully enough, on Star Trek:  The Next Generation, Enterprise has red/green nav lights as well as blinking beacons.

talk about FAA overreach...Star trek? Spock afraid of having his medical revoked or Kirk having to take a 709 ride? That would make an interesting new star trek episode. The FAA violates the SS Enterprise for busting the class B speed or something...

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

talk about FAA overreach...Star trek? Spock afraid of having his medical revoked or Kirk having to take a 709 ride? That would make an interesting new star trek episode. The FAA violates the SS Enterprise for busting the class B speed or something...

Scotty:  Captain, she'll do Warp Factor 9 but I'm limited to 250knots. (Read in Scotty Scottish brogue).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Blue on Top said:

Impulse warp drive can't handle a bird strike.

I thought that is why the star ship enterprise was equipped with force shields.

Kirk: Lieutenant Sulu, force shields up.

Sulu: Aye- aye sir.

Kirk: Scotty, Warp factor 9.

Spock: Sir, FAA AIM 4-4-12 limits below 10,000 feet mil - 250KIAS.

Bones: Damn it Spock, we can't remember FAA regulation numbers.

Kirk: Scotty, engines, di-lithium crystals warp factor 9.

Scotty: Aye captain, but the crystals are cracked and it'll take me 3 weeks to remove them and send them out for inspection and yellow tagged repair.  But I'll have her done in two.

Kirk: How much will that cost?

Scotty: About 120 hours Captain, but I'll only charge for 110.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Tom Paris got kicked down to ensign...

• Like 1

I wonder if the Spirit Of St Louis or the Pitts Special are exempt from the 250ias given their zero forward visibility (I am not saying they will make those speeds nor the aircraft body is stronger than the windshield :lol:)

• Haha 1

Just now, Blue on Top said:

(it was prior to regulations)  Would have been "Experimental" or CAR 3 ... no bird strike requirements.  @carusoam  You are correct - no windshield.

It’s true - no forward visibility at all.  Just a plywood sheet for a windscreen.

image.jpeg.0c351d677a3f941352a26d152edfe4fa.jpeg

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

It’s true - no forward visibility at all.  Just a plywood sheet for a windscreen.

image.jpeg.0c351d677a3f941352a26d152edfe4fa.jpeg

I found the below information on Wikipedia.

I believe it is correct.  I’ve read several books on Lindbergh including his autobiography.  So, without me sifting through the autobiography, here’s the reason for no forward windscreen.

“Lindbergh's request, the large main and forward fuel tanks were placed in the forward section of the fuselage, in front of the pilot, with the oil tank acting as a firewall. This arrangement improved the center of gravity and reduced the risk of the pilot being crushed to death between the main tank and the engine in the event of a crash. This design decision meant that there could be no front windshield, and that forward visibility would be limited to the side windows. This did not concern Lindbergh as he was used to flying in the rear cockpit of mail planes with mail bags in the front. When he wanted to see forward, he would slightly yaw the aircraft and look out the side. To provide some forward vision as a precaution against hitting ship masts, trees, or structures while flying at low altitude, a Ryan employee who had served in the submarine service installed a periscope which Lindbergh helped design. It is unclear whether the periscope was used during the flight”

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

When he wanted to see forward, he would slightly yaw the aircraft and look out the side. To provide some forward vision as a precaution against hitting ship masts, trees, or structures while flying at low altitude, a Ryan employee who had served in the submarine service installed a periscope which Lindbergh helped design. It is unclear whether the periscope was used during the flight

For landing, I understand he can sideslip to get some drag and visibility, for cruise, how did he managed to look for traffic or navigate, not that periscope? 

My guess for traffic, he was on procedural ATC service, with separation guaranteed as he was the only guy cleared to cross the atlanatic that day, for navigation, he just need to see 3 stars the 1st night from that side window to figure out the next day heading correction :lol:

The reg was NX211, the "X" suggest it was experimental with no PAX: that means pre-CAA inspectors in that picture were around for coffee & cookies and went to congrat a brave pilot with a ferry permit, no need to look in deatils or ask silly questions :lol:

Edited by Ibra
  • Haha 2

On 7/16/2020 at 1:13 PM, Bob - S50 said:

Man there's a lot of negativity on here lately. 

"Why all the negativity, man!"     Donald Sutherland in Kelly's Hero's"   1970  The original "anti-negativity" persona. 

BTW For many years I thought Jimmy Stewart was the real Lindberhg!  :-)

Edited by cliffy

4 hours ago, cliffy said:

"Why all the negativity, man!"     Donald Sutherland in Kelly's Hero's"   1970  The original "anti-negativity" persona. 

BTW For many years I thought Jimmy Stewart was the real Lindberhg!  :-)

Wait..... wait..... seriously?  You thought that?  Heck, for years I thought he was Glenn Miller ! :D

Jimmy Stewart....... the Tom Hanks of yesteryears.:)

17 minutes ago, Yourpilotincommand said:

Here’s some positive words... “I’m going to fly my Mooney this afternoon.  Who wants to go?”

Hey, you posted in the wrong thread...... your post belongs in the “positive” thread..... :lol:

Enjoy your fun Mooney flight ! :D

• Like 2