Recommended Posts

I left mine activated for about 15 minutes while taxing for departure today.  I worried all the way home that I had damaged my wingtip lenses.  There is not a hint of damage and both lights still function.

Is wingtip lens damage from ground operation a myth?  Has anyone here caused damage by running them on the ground or seen damage from such operation? 

For this question “I heard that can happen ..” or “My buddy said ...” does not count.  A picture of a melted wingtip lens would be convincing.

Where my wingtip strobe bulbs are very close / touch the lenses there is a small damaged spot.  I just can not see the little projector bulbs being a problem.  They are a long way from the surface of the tip lens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

Be careful with these lights. They will melt your lens - trust me. I just spent $300 to replace one of mine. The navigation lights can get hot as well.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8b4ecce528c6c645df3e4aeb9cefe900.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve put two holes in Bravo lenses the same way. Not a myth. 
-Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, moosebreath said:

I left mine activated for about 15 minutes while taxing for departure today.  I worried all the way home that I had damaged my wingtip lenses.  There is not a hint of damage and both lights still function.

Is wingtip lens damage from ground operation a myth?  Has anyone here caused damage by running them on the ground or seen damage from such operation? 

For this question “I heard that can happen ..” or “My buddy said ...” does not count.  A picture of a melted wingtip lens would be convincing.

Where my wingtip strobe bulbs are very close / touch the lenses there is a small damaged spot.  I just can not see the little projector bulbs being a problem.  They are a long way from the surface of the tip lens.

Yes.  They do - and have - caused damage to the covers.

With regards to LED replacements, several folks on here have created their own.  If you want to go the “official”, more expensive route, Whelen Engineering (now WAT Aerospace Technologies) is developing the Model 70303 LED replacement.  After several years’ waiting, this is welcome news to many here who have expressed interest.  Barring any issues, the replacement should be released “sometime in Q3 or Q4 2020”.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, warren.huisman said:

Be careful with these lights. They will melt your lens - trust me. I just spent $300 to replace one of mine. The navigation lights can get hot as well.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8b4ecce528c6c645df3e4aeb9cefe900.jpg

That is how mine look, too. So I never use my recognition lights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The plastic wing tip lenses will deform if the recognition lights are left on for to long. I had to replace mine, so the moral of the story I don’t use the recognition lights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The plastic wing tip lenses will deform if the recognition lights are left on for to long. I had to replace mine, so the moral of the story I don’t use the recognition lights.

You have 2 options:
Replace with LEDs, only available to those who have hangar fairies.
Wigwag the lights so they are only on 1/2 the time.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holes are definitely a reality by turning on recog lights on ground while not in moving (cold) air. I bought mine that way :( Speaking of which - where can I pick up replacement ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought my mine pre-melted and swapped them out...

It took another year or so before I melted them myself....

They sit unused until I get LED replacements...

Or sell...  :)

One day, I’m going to copy what StevenL has done with his O....

Best regards,

-a-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought mine from Great Lakes Aero. They are also available from knots2U but I believe Great Lakes Aero manufacturer the lens for them.

I was fortunate enough to pick it up from their factory as I live close to them. Great Lakes Aero has been making them directly for Mooney for 10 years or so.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@shawnd they are owner produced parts. PM me if you'd like instructions.:ph34r:  Straight in replacement the LEDs are good from 9-30V

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the recog lights melting the lenses in the air, or just on the ground? Is there a restriction from ground use? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use(d) mine only in flight and they still managed to deform the lens.  Eagerly waiting the LED-replacement from Whelen...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Fry made some really, really nice ones using 3D printing, a massive improvement on my hangar elves' effort. He may be willing to share his files for those who can use that to be the "owner specified" piece of "owner produced parts".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Airways said:

I use(d) mine only in flight and they still managed to deform the lens.  Eagerly waiting the LED-replacement from Whelen...

Wow, that is a poor design. I've flown a few transport category aircraft that had some restrictions on landing light usage on the ground while not in motion, but never in the air. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Mark605 said:

Wow, that is a poor design. I've flown a few transport category aircraft that had some restrictions on landing light usage on the ground while not in motion, but never in the air. 

Welcome to General Aviation. Wait until you find out some internal engine part is a POS that has to be replaced, and you have to pay the full bill. (and they wonder why sales and starts are so low.)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks PJ - installation will happen in 2 weeks or so.

Certainly perfectly willing to share files and instructions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.