GI-275 provides attitude for Century IIB

OR75

https://newsroom.garmin.com/newsroom/press-release-details/2020/Garmin-GI-275-adds-GFC-500-autopilot-compatibility/default.aspx

GI-275 will provide attitude to Century IIB 

Important step in my opinion. Lots of Js are equipped with a Century IIB 

provides a path to get rid of the vacuum system . Still need to understand the details . 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, flysamo said:

flood gate is opened for G5 and the GI- 275 will control the  gfc 500. also new readouts and (long body) ovation air frame auto pilot approval. there goes the BK market

Think the G5 will follow ?

GI 275 is more capable then G5 but cost more, this appears to be Garmin,s work horse,  when you compare the size and outside dimensions for both unites there is quite a difference. We now have about 6 hrs behind the GI 275 gauges. Both units are limited to  usage of the pages, where the HSI is one page, 2 pages for the other display because of technical FAA restraints on what they do and what was  replaced,

the displayed info ,brightness and added information that is displayed is almost to much, but if you want it , its there. Only part that is non standard, is when the master switch is is shut down the GI275  take about a minute to shut down on their own, of as we now due, we just touch  units for a 3 second shut off, From a X vacuum pump owner.

loading updates are easy since we also have GTN 750 and all the units talk to each other, even the JPI 900 is the the loop, Happy and still learning how the  system works

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flysamo said:

GI 275 is more capable then G5 but cost more, this appears to be Garmin,s work horse,  when you compare the size and outside dimensions for both unites there is quite a difference. We now have about 6 hrs behind the GI 275 gauges. Both units are limited to  usage of the pages, where the HSI is one page, 2 pages for the other display because of technical FAA restraints on what they do and what was  replaced,

the displayed info ,brightness and added information that is displayed is almost to much, but if you want it , its there. Only part that is non standard, is when the master switch is is shut down the GI275  take about a minute to shut down on their own, of as we now due, we just touch  units for a 3 second shut off, From a X vacuum pump owner.

loading updates are easy since we also have GTN 750 and all the units talk to each other, even the JPI 900 is the the loop, Happy and still learning how the  system works

The minute to shut down is to give enough time for the pilot to select battery operation in case of power failure . On a G5 it is 45 seconds and you see the countdown 

I wonder what aesthetically, a GI275 AD above a G5 HSI would look like . 

honestly I prefer the square look of the G5 despite the lower resolution 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OR75 said:

The minute to shut down is to give enough time for the pilot to select battery operation in case of power failure . On a G5 it is 45 seconds and you see the countdown 

I wonder what aesthetically, a GI275 AD above a G5 HSI would look like . 

honestly I prefer the square look of the G5 despite the lower resolution 

I was wondering about a GI256 attitude indicator and an HSI as a G5.  It seems the extra features of a GI256 are less exciting for a HSI than they are for a AI.

I wonder if even that could be done incrementally - can a GI256 AI be added to drive an autopilot (KFC200 for me) and in concert with leaving the King 525 mechanical HSI in place for now?  Can the GI256 do that and play well with other devices - a G5 or a King 525?

in our case, we dumped the vacuum system and used dual GI 275, and as a temporary measure we patched in a loaner king kap150 auto pilot unit, we decided to bite the bullet and in stall GFI 500 equipment this September, the G 275 were install and completed in late June. it take some getting use to the display, which is bright and snappy. knob in a different place, we added external temp probe and lost 20 pounds in the process. after the auto pilot trying to do several wing overs, looking forward to the install of GFI 500. our old HSI was starting to get slow, all things added in like the conversion. cost was about 17k, which included usb power, removal of vacuum, intercom, panel location. like the in panel look of the G275 vs G5

• Like 1

Just now, flysamo said:

in our case, we dumped the vacuum system and used dual GI 275, and as a temporary measure we patched in a loaner king kap150 auto pilot unit, we decided to bite the bullet and in stall GFI 500 equipment this September, the G 275 were install and completed in late June. it take some getting use to the display, which is bright and snappy. knob in a different place, we added external temp probe and lost 20 pounds in the process. after the auto pilot trying to do several wing overs, looking forward to the install of GFI 500. our old HSI was starting to get slow, all things added in like the conversion. cost was about 17k, which included usb power, removal of vacuum, intercom, panel location. like the in panel look of the G275 vs G5

Did I catch that right - the GI-256 is not working properly with your king autopilot but instead it is commanding wing-overs as you said?  Or was that a temporary issue that you have debugged?
E

2 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Did I catch that right - the GI-256 is not working properly with your king autopilot but instead it is commanding wing-overs as you said?  Or was that a temporary issue that you have debugged?
E

what is a GI-256 ?

its the KAP 150 that's the problem, GFI 500 will correct the problem, unit in air craft is a loaner until Sept. install date, waiting for formal approval from the feds.

Old panel and GI 275 installed in panel and behind the panel

IMG_0164[2635].jpg

IMG_0439[4286].jpg

IMG_1434[2939].jpg

Edited by flysamo
added info
  • Like 1

A single GI 2751 electronic flight instrument can now be used as the attitude source to drive the GFC 500 autopilot, while also displaying mode annunciations and flight director indications. Its bright, high-resolution touchscreen display and wide viewing angle offer superior readability in the cockpit. For added redundancy in aircraft equipped with dual GI 275’s, the secondary GI 2751 is capable of coupling to the GFC 500 autopilot, as well. In the unlikely event of a primary GI 275 failure, the autopilot remains fully functional when paired with the secondary GI 275. Additional redundancy is extended to include the G500 TXi & G600 TXi flight displays, which also allow the GI 275 to couple to the GFC 500 autopilot if needed. Unique to the GI 275 and TXi, pilots will receive a mis-compare notification if the AHRS sources between the two do not align.

• Like 1

Samo, nice job with the overlay to accommodate the 275's.  Garmin make a nice adaptor for the 275 to go into a KI525 hole, but I believe is it over $300, so x2 is a bit expensive.  I tried a small overlay picking out the KI525 holes, but the 275 structure is in the way.  The attached double is for an Archer that no longer had the bottom mounting holes, so I made a doubler to re-create the bottom right hole for the lower GI275.  I can easy do a revision to make one similar to yours with 6 mounting holes 'outside' the structure of the GI 275'  Aerodon

IMG_2651.jpg

• Like 1

The press release has a subnote that it "Requires GI 275 ADAHRS + AP variant.". I just looked on Sarasote Avionics website and they have two 275's with the AP function:

1. Primary AI w/Autopilot Interface (p/n 010-02326-20) $4389

2. Primary AI w/Heading & AP Intfc (p/n 010-02327-20) $4689

Anyone know if option #2 above will allow a single GI-275 to provide exclusive AI and heading data to the Century box? I'd obviously keep my existing vacuum heading indicator for now.

40 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

The press release has a subnote that it "Requires GI 275 ADAHRS + AP variant.". I just looked on Sarasote Avionics website and they have two 275's with the AP function:

1. Primary AI w/Autopilot Interface (p/n 010-02326-20) $4389

2. Primary AI w/Heading & AP Intfc (p/n 010-02327-20) $4689

Anyone know if option #2 above will allow a single GI-275 to provide exclusive AI and heading data to the Century box? I'd obviously keep my existing vacuum heading indicator for now.

@tigers2007  p/n 010-02327-20 is an HSI and that’s the one you want if you ars keeping your AI. You want that HSI variant. You would get the AI ADHRS+AP variant if you were also replacing your AI and removing vacuum. 

I have zero intention on keeping my vacuum AI. I believe it is the source of my Century woes. I do not have gobs of AMU's to pay for two GI-275's though. I'm considering the GI-275 just for the AI to get the autopilot online. $4700 + install for the 275 or $2500 for a factory new Sigmatek 5000E.

Seems like the difference between those two models is that one has the "Heading" option. I'm curious that will send roll-steering control to the Century IIb box in lieu of the vacuum heading indicator.

2 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

Seems like the difference between those two models is that one has the "Heading" option. I'm curious that will send roll-steering control to the Century IIb box in lieu of the vacuum heading indicator.

Roll steering is a function of the HSI. So you need that variant as well. 

If you look at the CIIB schematic, it requires:

a Roll error from an AI (no pilot intervention)

a DG error from a DG (Pilots sets the heading based on compass)

the GI275 would be capable to provide both since it had both info (if wired to a GMU for example )but the idea would still be to get a GI 275 (configured as AI) to provide roll error and a separate GI275 or G5 (configured as HSI) to provide DG error