Baggage compartment lock cylinder

Welcome aboard Bob!

Getting a pair of locks with matching keys is a great idea... both doors on the same key that way...

Of course, it depends on what failed... odd... did the whole lock wear and fall apart or did it’s mounting hardware come apart?

It might be a low cost fix to properly re-install what is there already...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

On 7/14/2020 at 7:48 AM, gsxrpilot said:

Yes. And while you're at it, get better locks. I put a pair of these locks in my Mooney. One for the baggage door and one for the cockpit door. I did it myself in under an hour.

https://aircraftsecurity.com

I recommend these guys too. Cant go wrong with Medeco locks.

Yes. And while you're at it, get better locks. I put a pair of these locks in my Mooney. One for the baggage door and one for the cockpit door. I did it myself in under an hour.

I assume you have to take the door apart to install the new locks? Asking because the door lock in my plane does not work so probably need to change it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Hector said:

I assume you have to take the door apart to install the new locks? Asking because the door lock in my plane does not work so probably need to change it.

Just the panel on the inside of the door. It's not difficult to do.

• Like 1

The Mooney Door locks are merely Chicago Cabinet locks - a very popular an inexpensive lock available from hardware stores and locksmith. But like said Paul above, we have much better options available to us. I also installed Medeco locks in my door and baggage door. I didn't use the aircarft security guys since as an A&P I know we don't need an STC to do this, just supervision from an approving A&P. You can obtain Medeco locks almost as easily the cabinet locks. Just take in your old locks to any locksmith that's also a Medeco dealer (most are) and they can match it up to a Medeco and lock and even fabricate the metal lever for you. Very easy and very affordable and who knows it might just send a would be thief in a hurry to the plane next to yours with the very easy to pick cabinet locks.  

• Like 3

The maintenance man at a company I once worked for showed me how to open desks and file cabinets. The way you pick a lock is to apply tension to the cylinder while raking the pins with a pick. The sloppier the lock’s made, the easier it is to get the pins to hang up at the parting line and the lock to open. Most airplane locks are so bad that you don’t even need lock picks. All you need is any key that will go in and then give it a twist while you run it in and out over the pins. About 30 seconds usually does it. 

My neighbor is a retired locksmith and swears by Medeco. 

Skip

1 hour ago, RLCarter said:

I had a roommate that was a locksmith he always said locks are to keep honest/lazy thieves out, the harder the lock is to pick the more likely they (the thief) are to destroy something getting in.

Anytime my Mooney is parked out on a ramp for the day or overnight, I have the shades up in all windows so nothing can be seen inside the cockpit and both the door and the baggage hatch have Medeco locks on them. I'm not under the illusion that it's secure, just hoping it's more secure than the airplane tied down next to it.

"I don't have to out run the bear, just out run you."

• Like 2

When I was doing my rebuild, one mechanic changed both door locks to locks with cylindrical shaped keys.  Are these any better than the cabinet door locks or should I consider changing to the Medeco locks?

John Breda

2 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

When I was doing my rebuild, one mechanic changed both door locks to locks with cylindrical shaped keys.  Are these any better than the cabinet door locks or should I consider changing to the Medeco locks?

John Breda

probably best to ask a locksmith, but I would assume the cylinder shaped keys are also considered a higher security level. The Medeco locks also use a registration process in that only the registered owner can get duplicated keys. Which makes it an advantage for an owner to buy their Medeco locks directly. Late model Mooney's come with Medeco locks that require new keys to be ordered through the factory, since they're the registered owner; which turns an inexpensive key into a Mooney part. I think I recall hearing the same if you order your locks through the AircraftSecurity.com folks.

True story on aircraft security locks and devices.

A C210 was parked at popular destination in Baja at an airport without security. A couple of thieves got word of the aircraft parked there and came late at night to steal and fly it away. When they showed up and in a hurry, they found the plane had security door locks, a prop lock all visible from the outside and I believe from memory they could see inside that there was also a throttle lock. A C210 is highly coveted by the cartel for its load carrying capacity and short field performance - so they really wanted it. But they also work fast and seeing all this stuff they didn't even try to waste time breaking in, they simply went for the C182 parked right next to the C210 with none of the security devices. They would have never shown up for a C182, its not a aircraft that even gets stolen with any frequency compared to the C210, but not wanting to go home empty handed they had the C182 running in minutes and took off at night without any lights. 

Everywhere I fly south of the border, I fly with all three security devices and I'll use all three at any unsecured airport. There is always an easier to steal plane next to mine - not that any plane thieves are actually interested in Mooney though. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 9:48 AM, gsxrpilot said:

Thanks a ton for the link. I have this type of lock and key and have been trying to get a duplicate for months. Now i know why noone would / could make a copy. Ordering 2 duplicates from them today. 

Thanks a ton for the link. I have this type of lock and key and have been trying to get a duplicate for months. Now i know why noone would / could make a copy. Ordering 2 duplicates from them today. 

that will work if they sourced your locks, but they are only 1 of probably more than a thousand Medco lock dealers.
if you haven’t already, check your logs for the source and registration information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk