When is a hangar too hot?

Gary0747

It's not the heat, it's the humidity.

Here in Wilma I just go down to the hangar every morning and open the doors on each end. We get a great breeze all day and even mid-July it is quite pleasant in there until about 10 AM, then it cools off once the sun starts to go down. My hangar is basically a wood-frame house shell, a metal T-hangar is not going to work like this.

Back at BPT my T-hangar was 'not bad' in the morning with the door wide open and a humongous fan (HB floor fan) running. There, however, it was almost always humid and that made the difference.

38 minutes ago, HRM said:

It's not the heat, it's the humidity.

Here in Wilma I just go down to the hangar every morning and open the doors on each end. We get a great breeze all day and even mid-July it is quite pleasant in there until about 10 AM, then it cools off once the sun starts to go down. My hangar is basically a wood-frame house shell, a metal T-hangar is not going to work like this.

Back at BPT my T-hangar was 'not bad' in the morning with the door wide open and a humongous fan (HB floor fan) running. There, however, it was almost always humid and that made the difference.

That's what they say....I agree 98 and humid is hot.

But boy oh boy - when its 115, even if its a dry heat, that's just HOT.

• Like 1

Erik, temps here in Alabama cooled down to 94° before I left work about 1715. Initially set AC in my black car to full cold and set the fan halfway to Hi. This is where it was when I got home, and I was chilly! The next click on fan speed is OFF.

20200716_182920.thumb.jpg.0bfc1b6ccd2b73f12b01edf90b271a43.jpg

Heat above 90 degrees, coupled with humidity, turns plastic parts into mush after a short time. Headsets for example have a low-gloss clear coat to protect the plastic. That coating gets gummy after just a few seasons in a hot humid plane in an un-insulated tee hanger in the south. Avionics screens begin to delaminate. Here in South Florida, tee hangars average 110-115 dF inside from June through August. This could be avoided either through roof insulation, or painting the hangars with paint containing titanium dioxide. That coating reflects the bulk of the sun's heat and can cut interior temps by 20 degrees, easily. 

You should know that most components, such as batteries, have warnings to store below 95 dF for best life. That's why batteries here only last 3-4 years, tops, when they last 5-9 years up north.

• Like 1

I decided to track the internal temp and humidity, here's the local data:

image.png.f7f3ee858b4da093cd6c9f4ba66e84b3.png

...and the sensor in the hangar...

2020-07-16_20-11-51_000.thumb.png.4b64da93a77500433b81f9a64b4bbb88.png

Leads outside temp in the evening, lags it in the morning. Humidity still in the 'comfort zone'.

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Erik, temps here in Alabama cooled down to 94° before I left work about 1715. Initially set AC in my black car to full cold and set the fan halfway to Hi. This is where it was when I got home, and I was chilly! The next click on fan speed is OFF.

20200716_182920.thumb.jpg.0bfc1b6ccd2b73f12b01edf90b271a43.jpg

Isn't AC just the greatest?!  :-)

But Justin Bieber?!!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Isn't AC just the greatest?!  :-)

But Justin Bieber?!!

Everybody is jumping onto the Country bandwagon. He ain't lead singer, he just joined Dan & Shay for this song. Kind of like even Kid Rock released one country song. I like Dan & Shay, mostly, but this was a bad choice, a real collaboration with all of the negative connotations that word brings up in the military environment. 

• Like 1

@Gary0747 welcome to DVT. It’s only hot here a few months of the year. Last year I was in a covered tie down & this year a hangar. The breeze & wind helps but it’s still hot. Hangars are good for the other 9 months or when you need a cold drink or to fix something. 

• Like 1