When is a hangar too hot?

Gary0747

I have been keeping my Mooney in a hangar in Michigan and am now on a wait list for a hangar in Phoenix at DVT.   I was wondering how hot hangars get when outside temps are in the current 115 degree range like currently?  And at what temperature do you start to damage things on the airplane?  Electronics, plastic parts becoming brittle, fuel tanks etc.  

20 minutes ago, Gary0747 said:

I have been keeping my Mooney in a hangar in Michigan and am now on a wait list for a hangar in Phoenix at DVT.   I was wondering how hot hangars get when outside temps are in the current 115 degree range like currently?  And at what temperature do you start to damage things on the airplane?  Electronics, plastic parts becoming brittle, fuel tanks etc.  

Well I've been outside for 20 years and haven't had any damage yet (I have a Bruce's cover) so I wouldn't worry about that. But yes it will be crazy hot. Made the mistake of doing my annual in June this year. Never again.

-Robert

I had a VW car sit outside here in Florida, the plastic deteriorated to the point where the glove compartment fell to floor. Any electronic displays stopped working (LED and LCD). Paint looked terrible. Leather cracked. But no rust!
I never used a cover, but did use windshield shades which the sun made short work of. I would definitely get a cover.
I can’t believe they don’t at least build shade hangars, cheap to build, no maintenance, easy money, down here they charge $200+ a month for one.

41 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Well I've been outside for 20 years and haven't had any damage yet (I have a Bruce's cover) so I wouldn't worry about that. But yes it will be crazy hot. Made the mistake of doing my annual in June this year. Never again.

36 minutes ago, thinwing said:

Ha Ha...we just suffered thru July....I agree never again!

When I lived in Texas I always had my annual in August. It's a good time for annual as it's too stinking hot to fly. Kinda like the guys up north doing annuals in Feb. When it's miserable flying weather, put it in the shop and get the annual done. :D

• Like 2

I have always had a shade covered tie down when here at DVT but I was wondering if that may well be the coolest option.  An enclosed metal hangar in the sun when the outside air temps are 115 degrees may well be a lot hotter that that. How much hotter I don’t really know?

Have a hangared Cessna in the California low desert near Arizona.  It's extremely hot, straight temperature wise probably the hottest area in the country other than death valley.  Honestly the heat doesn't do much to the equipment or plastics, it's the UV rays that will really start to ruin things as mentioned.  

Disclaimer...Next line is intended as a joke. I won't be quitting my day (Night) job.

Q: When is hangar to hot?...

A: "When it is on fire."

Seriously though, all extreme temps take a toll on our equipment/furnishings. But covered is almost always better than not.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, firelog1101 said:

Have a hangared Cessna in the California low desert near Arizona.  It's extremely hot, straight temperature wise probably the hottest area in the country other than death valley.  Honestly the heat doesn't do much to the equipment or plastics, it's the UV rays that will really start to ruin things as mentioned.  

I'd tend to agree with that statement. I can feel my Aspen's during flight and they're warm. Definitely more than 115F.  I don't think 120F is anything that most materials would have trouble handling. It's the ionizing UV. 

Here in the Deep South, hangars are too stinking hot in June, July and August. Almost as hot as the cockpit gets parked on the ramp while you eat lunch, whether the storm window is open or not . . . .

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Gary0747 said:

I have a hangar at DVT.   I was in it most of the day today.   As Rich said, the heat in the hangar is not going to be nearly as bad as the direct sun outside.   My hangar faces south and I've honestly never found it to be too awful, even today.   A portable swamp cooler makes it tolerable to work until about mid-pm on the hottest days (like today).   There's a hose at the wash rack to refill water jugs for the cooler (it's like a meeting spot to refill your cooler jugs/tanks/barrels).    The airplane isn't going to have a problem at all.   I've not even had much trouble storing things, although stuff you're leaving on the shelf you do have to check the upper limits on storage temps for some things.   Some adhesives, chemicals, UHML tape, etc., stuff like that, I keep at home rather than in the hangar.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 3:53 PM, Hank said:

Here in the Deep South, hangars are too stinking hot in June, July and August. Almost as hot as the cockpit gets parked on the ramp while you eat lunch, whether the storm window is open or not . . . .

So, so sad!  Here in Dismal Beach ( Pismo), on the left coast of the  people’s republic of CA, it’s  around 72F today.  That’s good!

The other part of my post...... not so good........:(

Hangars are like an easy bake oven they get hot.

Any type of insulation on the roof and walls will help tremendously.  The foil faced bubble wrap the use in metal buildings is remarkable in keeping a lot of the radiant heat out of the hangar.  1/2" foil faced foam insulation board is very good too wedge it between the perlins of the building and you will remarkable reduction of the inside temp.  Paint the inside white and it looks pretty good.  Spray foam also works good too if you won the hangar premant and seals up the edges to minimize critter and dirt infiltration.

• Like 1

Well to all you southerners who laughed when I posted a post a similarly titled thread a few years ago / how cold is to cold / since I’ve seen -35F and -40F and our friends from Florida Arizona etc (rightly so) Just laughed at me.   Well - it’s 69F and the birds are tweeting and low humidity and red colors in the puffy sky.  A lovely evening.

at least in AZ you aren’t likely worrying about preheating your engine / and cabin and worrying about adding ipa to the fuel to keep it from freezing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Well to all you southerners who laughed when I posted a post a similarly titled thread a few years ago / how cold is to cold / since I’ve seen -35F and -40F and our friends from Florida Arizona etc (rightly so) Just laughed at me.   Well - it’s 69F and the birds are tweeting and low humidity and red colors in the puffy sky.  A lovely evening.

at least in AZ you aren’t likely worrying about preheating your engine / and cabin and worrying about adding ipa to the fuel to keep it from freezing.

69F... Berrr, I would have to ware a jacket...

We're having a bit of a cooling trend, it only got to 109 today. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, aviatoreb said:

Well to all you southerners . . . .

It's not that bad here yet, but I'm not out in the desert, I live on a lake.

Flew to lunch in Saturday,  walked a half mile to the restaurant (and back!). Logged 2.5 hours, all at 3000msl or lower. Temps there were in the high 80s, warmer of course in the ground, and the winds on the ground were 10-12G18+, anywhere from quartering headwind to direct crosswind. It made great practice, I had four landings.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Find the hangar with insulation...

and a giant roof vent... 

And the branded fan... big ass fan...

Proving RLC right... priceless... :)

-a-

0866847C-2C0A-4379-8C55-F3E5D018F75E.jpeg

I think the picture was right side up (sideways) in the first place - it was so hot - he fell over.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

It's not that bad here yet, but I'm not out in the desert, I live on a lake.

Flew to lunch in Saturday,  walked a half mile to the restaurant (and back!). Logged 2.5 hours, all at 3000msl or lower. Temps there were in the high 80s, warmer of course in the ground, and the winds on the ground were 10-12G18+, anywhere from quartering headwind to direct crosswind. It made great practice, I had four landings.  

That sounds nice...but doesn't play into my story of wanting payback laughing at you.  Now what am I going to do?  Please contact me when its 101F and humid so that I can resume the taunts.