I guess I’m out of the cheap b@st@rds club..

Naw... no one who owns a private airplane can claim membership in the CB club. You've just gone and traded a 2+2 sports car for a thirsty Suburban with third-row seating.

But it does look cool! And I wouldn't turn down a ride :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Panel is ok too.  G500, GTN750, 430W, Avidyne EX500.  

Autopilot works really good, but dated.  Century III.  

FB_IMG_1594653013272.jpg

Yeah, I agree.  A few changes I would make would be getting the Avidyne out of there since the radar is INOP, and then focusing on the autopilot.  I'd look at the Genesys 3100 for that airplane, since the GFC500 and GFC600 aren't on the list.

Seriously, congrats, and enjoy getting your multi (and hopefully Comm?) in that airplane.

I flew a T310R back in WA State about 20 years ago, and like @GeeBee mentioned, it was one screaming machine, but you need to manage your engines correctly, pay fanatical attention to your gear rigging, and be ready with around $10k in residual maintenance $$ "just in case".  Stick with TAS, and listen to Tony.  Consider (if you haven't already done so) having him do your annuals going forward.  Probably the best way to maintain that airplane.

Steve

41 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Autopilot works really good, but dated.  Century III.  

That's what's in my airplane.   Fingers crossed I will find out tomorrow whether it is working again or not.  ;) 

41 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

FB_IMG_1594653013272.jpg

You're in the wrong seat!  ;)

32 minutes ago, EricJ said:

That's what's in my airplane.   Fingers crossed I will find out tomorrow whether it is working again or not.  ;) 

You're in the wrong seat!  ;)

I let the CFI fly the first leg.  I figured a zero time multi pilot in the left seat in a brand new (to me) airplane wasnt the best idea.  I flew left seat the other 6 hours.  

The only weird thing the AP does is when you engage alt hold, it climbs 100'.  So, we just climbed to 10,400, hit altitude hold and let it climb to 10.5, and it held it pretty rock solid.

20200712_105721.jpg

Edited by ragedracer1977
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I let the CFI fly the first leg.  I figured a zero time multi pilot in the left seat in a brand new (to me) airplane wasnt the best idea.  I flew left seat the other 6 hours.  

The only weird thing the AP does is when you engage alt hold, it climbs 100'.  So, we just climbed to 10,400, hit altitude hold and let it climb to 10.5, and it held it pretty rock solid.

It's all analog computer, and there are some trim adjustments for various things, but what I've learned is to just figure out little things like that and adapt to it.

I saw it on the ramp today!   Nice airplane.  You need to get some of that reflective insulating stuff from the aviation aisle at Lowe's or Home Depot and make some interior window covers or something.    It looks small parked by the King Air.  ;)

9 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

20200712_105721.jpg

I love that you are flying a Cessna home in a Mooney Club shirt.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

On 7/13/2020 at 8:59 AM, StevenL757 said:

Yeah, I agree.  A few changes I would make would be getting the Avidyne out of there since the radar is INOP, and then focusing on the autopilot.  I'd look at the Genesys 3100 for that airplane, since the GFC500 and GFC600 aren't on the list.

Seriously, congrats, and enjoy getting your multi (and hopefully Comm?) in that airplane.

I flew a T310R back in WA State about 20 years ago, and like @GeeBee mentioned, it was one screaming machine, but you need to manage your engines correctly, pay fanatical attention to your gear rigging, and be ready with around $10k in residual maintenance $$ "just in case".  Stick with TAS, and listen to Tony.  Consider (if you haven't already done so) having him do your annuals going forward.  Probably the best way to maintain that airplane.

Steve

I might keep the avidyne, not sure yet.  See if I can get the radar working again. Might be worth doing, might not. 

And yeah, it will be going back to Tony every year.  If we get back to normal.... We wrapped up this annual to coincide with Oshkosh next year.  And we'll try to keep it that way.  I'll go to OSH, at the end of OSH, fly it to Tony's.  Come back and pick it up in a couple weeks.  

It will be a good excuse to go to OSH every year and make taking it to TAS a breeze.