Xm weather requirements

chan65

Sorry if repeat,

I have a new panel and was expecting to easily load Sirius XM,  When looking into the G3X i found that I needed the GDU 465 not the 460 I have, so I know I control it through the GTN 750 but do I still need a GDL to receive, does my signal come through the new transponder 345?

After lugging around the GDL 39 i thought this would be seamless, my avionics upgrade was rough, ive put a call back in , but no answer .

Will I need another reciever to get XM weather ? or surely its 60 k in new Garmin equip, there is a way right? 

The Garmin GTX-345 Transponder does not include a Sirius XM receiver.  It does include an ADS-B-in receiver that will allow you to receive FIS-B weather, though you may or may not be satisfied with that as a substitute for XM weather (I'll leave that debate to others).  The GTX-345 definitely does not include a Sirius XM music receiver, you'd have to get XM music through a GDL69 or your old GDL39.

Assuming your avionics shop wired and configured the GTX-345/GTN-750 interface correctly, you should be able to see FIS-B weather on the GTN-750 in several ways, most notably by selecting the "Weather" button from the home page.

Vance thank you,  yes I can see the Fis- B weather on the 75O  but cannot on the G3x, is that just because the remote transponder is not connected through Blue tooth? The remote transponder and audio panel were not in the plan originally, a miscalculation on panel layout forced it, 

I was surprised in a long flight yesterday not to see traffic or weather on the G3x

5 minutes ago, Vance Harral said:

The Garmin GTX-345 Transponder does not include a Sirius XM receiver.  It does include an ADS-B-in receiver that will allow you to receive FIS-B weather, though you may or may not be satisfied with that as a substitute for XM weather (I'll leave that debate to others).  The GTX-345 definitely does not include a Sirius XM music receiver, you'd have to get XM music through a GDL69 or your old GDL39.

Assuming your avionics shop wired and configured the GTX-345/GTN-750 interface correctly, you should be able to see FIS-B weather on the GTN-750 in several ways, most notably by selecting the "Weather" button from the home page.

Vance thank you,  yes I can see the Fis- B weather on the 75O  but cannot on the G3x, is that just because the remote transponder is not connected through Blue tooth? The remote transponder and audio panel were not in the plan originally, a miscalculation on panel layout forced it, 

I was surprised in a long flight yesterday not to see traffic or weather on the G3x

Unfortunately I lack the experience to tell you how traffic and weather from a GTX-345 are connected and/or displayed on a G3x.  I haven't had the pleasure of flying behind that setup.  Hopefully someone else will chime in.

That said, I'd be very surprised if the G3x relies on a wireless Bluetooth connection to the GTX-345 to get FIS-B traffic and weather.  Your G3x is almost certainly hard-wired to the GTX-345, either directly, or indirectly via the GTN-750 and Garmin's "Connext" technology.  If it's not displaying traffic and weather properly, it might be a wiring problem.  But I'd wager it's more likely to be a software configuration issue that can be fixed without digging into the panel again.

I'd start by reading the G3x manuals and following the exact steps they indicate to display FIS-B (not XM) traffic and weather.  Then call or e-mail your avionics shop and specifically tell them, "When I follow the steps in section X.Y.Z of the G3x manual to display FIS-B traffic/weather, I don't see anything".  That will go a long way toward getting their attention, as opposed to being dismissed as pilot error.

As for your question about "upgrading" the G3x to get Sirius weather, that's a no.  There is no version of the G3x that includes an integrated Sirius XM receiver.  A quick search suggests that maybe a GDL-51R would do the trick, and that's a lot less expensive than the GDL-69.  But I don't know if the GDL-51R is certified, and even if it is, the price of the receiver itself doesn't include the antenna and cabling you'd need for it.

Just now, Vance Harral said:

Unfortunately I lack the experience to tell you how traffic and weather from a GTX-345 are connected and/or displayed on a G3x.  I haven't had the pleasure of flying behind that setup.  Hopefully someone else will chime in.

That said, I'd be very surprised if the G3x relies on a wireless Bluetooth connection to the GTX-345 to get FIS-B traffic and weather.  Your G3x is almost certainly hard-wired to the GTX-345, either directly, or indirectly via the GTN-750 and Garmin's "Connext" technology.  If it's not displaying traffic and weather properly, it might be a wiring problem.  But I'd wager it's more likely to be a software configuration issue that can be fixed without digging into the panel again.

I'd start by reading the G3x manuals and following the exact steps they indicate to display FIS-B (not XM) traffic and weather.  Then call or e-mail your avionics shop and specifically tell them, "When I follow the steps in section X.Y.Z of the G3x manual to display FIS-B traffic/weather, I don't see anything".  That will go a long way toward getting their attention, as opposed to being dismissed as pilot error.

As for your question about "upgrading" the G3x to get Sirius weather, that's a no.  There is no version of the G3x that includes an integrated Sirius XM receiver.  A quick search suggests that maybe a GDL-51R would do the trick, and that's a lot less expensive than the GDL-69.  But I don't know if the GDL-51R is certified, and even if it is, the price of the receiver itself doesn't include the antenna and cabling you'd need for it.

thank you sir

1 hour ago, chan65 said:

The GTX345 should supply Adsb traffic and weather to the G3x (hardwired) and the gtn750 (Hard wired) and your ipad (via Bluetooth).

If it’s not working the avionics shop probably needs to finish setting it up correctly.

• Like 1

Do yourself a favor, get the ADSB traffic and weather working right first before throwing money at XM weather.  Try it for a while.  If you don’t like the free weather, you can always add on XM.  You should not need any new equipment to currently get free weather and traffic.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Do yourself a favor, get the ADSB traffic and weather working right first before throwing money at XM weather.  Try it for a while.  If you don’t like the free weather, you can always add on XM.  You should not need any new equipment to currently get free weather and traffic.

Good advice. I have SiriusXM with the GDL69a but only use it for music. I just didn't think the difference between free ADSB and nearly $80 month for XM weather, was worth it for me.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Good advice. I have SiriusXM with the GDL69a but only use it for music. I just didn't think the difference between free ADSB and nearly $80 month for XM weather, was worth it for me.

With the newer SXM receivers you can get very good weather for $30/month. The legacy XM-only receivers must use much more expensive packages. The GDL52R will receive the newer cheaper packages. Some newer GDL69's can receive the SXM packages, but many are legacy XM-only. I'm not sure how to tell the difference on the GDL69.

For $30 extra a month I like having both XM and ADSB. 

https://www.siriusxm.com/sxmaviation#:~:text=SiriusXM vs.,-ADS‑B&text=Choose satellite weather for twice,you use ADS-B weather.&text=SiriusXM Aviation service covers all,taking off%2C cruising to landing.

• Like 1

I did not see the difference either until one day returning from KUCY to KGVL. As I was dodging CBs, I was switching back and forth between FIS-B and XM. I do not use either for tactical use, but I do use it strategically. Basically if I cannot see blue sky, I'm not using these products to stay out of the nasty.  XM picked up a thick line of TS over CHA much earlier than FIS B and I was able to reroute myself down around Huntsville, where there was a much looser line and back up to north Georgia. As I came up to GVL I could see quite clearly that the XM representation was more accurate. If I lived in the South, the Ohio/MS valley or the OK, TX panhandle I would buy XM in a heartbeat and use both FIS-B and XM looking for the latest update. Out west or up north where things are a little more distinct, slow developing and isolated FIS-B may be enough. In the above mentioned areas, you can spit on the sidewalk and get a TS going.  Things develop too fast and make the risk of stumbling into embedded weather to risk less than maximum update rates.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, larryb said:

With the newer SXM receivers you can get very good weather for $30/month. The legacy XM-only receivers must use much more expensive packages. The GDL52R will receive the newer cheaper packages. Some newer GDL69's can receive the SXM packages, but many are legacy XM-only. I'm not sure how to tell the difference on the GDL69.

For $30 extra a month I like having both XM and ADSB. 

https://www.siriusxm.com/sxmaviation#:~:text=SiriusXM vs.,-ADS‑B&text=Choose satellite weather for twice,you use ADS-B weather.&text=SiriusXM Aviation service covers all,taking off%2C cruising to landing.

That's actually good information. The GDL69a will take the new packages... but when I've checked before... I take a look at them about once a year, the Icing stuff was only in the $99/month package. Now it appears it's in the $29/month package... I'll have to take another look at this.

As @GeeBee said, out west here, we can see the build up's a hundred miles away. And they're easy to avoid. But icing is what I'm always looking at. Icing forecasts, freezing levels, current icing conditions, etc.

Thanks.

• Like 1

XM... often available on the ground...

ADSB... often requires getting to about 1k’ agl above the ground for reception...

(This could be an aged piece of knowledge... things change a lot with ADSB coverage... always getting better...)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 1:02 PM, Ragsf15e said:

Good advice though I may have misspoken, ADSB works great on the 750 and I am using it, the issue was no equipment installed will allow me to connect to Sirius and I’m not willing to invest anymore to try it, I’ll look for  a cheaper plug in later.

i did find that had I ordered the 465 rather than the 460 version of the G3X it would have had the link without requiring additional equipment ..

1 minute ago, chan65 said:

Good advice though I may have misspoken, ADSB works great on the 750 and I am using it, the issue was no equipment installed will allow me to connect to Sirius and I’m not willing to invest anymore to try it, I’ll look for  a cheaper plug in later.

i did find that had I ordered the 465 rather than the 460 version of the G3X it would have had the link without requiring additional equipment ..

You should probably see weather and traffic on the g3x too from the adsb, does that work?  

4 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

You should probably see weather and traffic on the g3x too from the adsb, does that work?  

Found out today from my avionics guy, who isn’t always honest, that the 345 remote transponder does not have a patch from Garmin. He said I should expect it in September, has anyone else heard this?

12 hours ago, chan65 said:

Found out today from my avionics guy, who isn’t always honest, that the 345 remote transponder does not have a patch from Garmin. He said I should expect it in September, has anyone else heard this?

Interesting.  I haven’t heard that and I have a GTX345.  What is this patch supposed to do? We’d need one of our avionics folks to answer this.

• 1 month later...

Update - g3x will not display Sirius weather and durability no setup, decision has t he made to display ADSB on 750 or G3 , mine wade set up for GTN, only way yo access weather and music through Sirius is additional receiver and antenna