Mooney Safety Foundation Training

I am interested in attending the Mooney Safety Foundation program in Springfield, Ma. September 11-13, 2020.  

Are the programs operating as scheduled?

Anyone have any experience with the training during the corona virus?

Thanks

Jim

• Like 2

I was signed up for it and received an email from Lela Hughes at MAPA, that it had been cancelled for this year.

"Due to the increase in Covid-19 cases, MAPA SF has decided to reschedule all of their 2020 PPP's to 2021. The Springfield MA PPP will be Sept 2021 and as soon as I have the exact dates for the class will get it to you. Also, just so you know the first class in 2021 is in Lakeland FL Feb 5-7, 2021, in case you would prefer that class. If you made hotel reservations for Springfield, please be sure to cancel as soon as you can. I am so sorry for all of the changes. The MAPA SF directors are concerned about the health of the students and instructors, and just don't want to take any chances.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Stay well and stay safe.
Lela"

Yep, as Stan said above, PPP’s are cancelled for the remainder of this year and we remain hopeful they can resume next year as scheduled. Fingers crossed as no one knows when we’ll see relief from this pandemic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I signed up for the Santa Fe Mooney Safety Foundation program.  Its been canceled twice, and now rescheduled into 2021.  As much as that sucks, its certainly the right thing to do.  I just think:  Do I want to hang out in a conference room with a bunch of folks who just flew on a commercial plane?  And the ideal of social distancing in plane is laughable. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chrisk said:

I signed up for the Santa Fe Mooney Safety Foundation program.  Its been canceled twice, and now rescheduled into 2021.  As much as that sucks, its certainly the right thing to do.  I just think:  Do I want to hang out in a conference room with a bunch of folks who just flew on a commercial plane?  And the ideal of social distancing in plane is laughable. 

I've only been to two MAPA PPPs (it's time for another one, but . . . ), and while there was time in a conference room with lots of people, nobody had arrived via airlines. Someone came to the first one in a Bonanza, but we can make allowances for MDs who write for the group magazine (Dr. Bob).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hank said:

I've only been to two MAPA PPPs (it's time for another one, but . . . ), and while there was time in a conference room with lots of people, nobody had arrived via airlines. Someone came to the first one in a Bonanza, but we can make allowances for MDs who write for the group magazine (Dr. Bob).

Most of the instructors will arrive via airline

5 hours ago, chrisk said:

Most of the instructors will arrive via airline

Chris, from the little I know you may well be a medical professional acutely aware of the hazards of contracting this from an asymptomatic individual, but I've learned its not a problem for both pilot and instructor to wear a mask in the cockpit and with the overhead vent going full blast, as needed this time of year anyway, I think the exchange of anyone's aerosol is  near nil. What I am far more worried about is your point about the conference room with the prolonged indoor ground instruction meetings where its pretty hard to keep everyone spaced out enough and still be able to hear and maintain a lively meeting. It would probably break the budget to use a larger facility with the accompanying audio-visual equipment to make it work with everyone appropriately distanced. And of course there is the social banquet which wouldn't be possible at all right now. Fingers crossed for next year. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kortopates said:

Chris, from the little I know you may well be a medical professional acutely aware of the hazards of contracting this from an asymptomatic individual, but I've learned its not a problem for both pilot and instructor to wear a mask in the cockpit and with the overhead vent going full blast, as needed this time of year anyway, I think the exchange of anyone's aerosol is  near nil. What I am far more worried about is your point about the conference room with the prolonged indoor ground instruction meetings where its pretty hard to keep everyone spaced out enough and still be able to hear and maintain a lively meeting. It would probably break the budget to use a larger facility with the accompanying audio-visual equipment to make it work with everyone appropriately distanced. And of course there is the social banquet which wouldn't be possible at all right now. Fingers crossed for next year. 

Hi Paul,

I'm in no way a medial professional.  I'm an engineer and design microprocessors for a living.   You might be right on the overhead vents being adequate.  On the other hand, I'm sure I would  be safe with my O2 full face mask on.  --Although my speech always sounds muffled to my ears. 

• Like 2

Why cant there be a Mooney Mx Safety foundation for all the MSCs.....If the pilots should learn their airplanes shouldn't the mechanics who get paid to work on them also have the same dedication and responsibilities?  

When was the last time you heard of a general aviation shop having a safety stand down?

On 7/18/2020 at 7:03 PM, Jim Peace said:

Why cant there be a Mooney Mx Safety foundation for all the MSCs.....If the pilots should learn their airplanes shouldn't the mechanics who get paid to work on them also have the same dedication and responsibilities?  

When was the last time you heard of a general aviation shop having a safety stand down?

MAPA used to put those on as well, but I haven't seen one in years!

Just now, Greg_D said:

I don't even know what Mooney corp is anymore but it would be great if the MSCs had to prove that they still know a lot about Mooneys...otherwise take MSC off the website....

We need to get a map of the USA on here with all the true Mooney craftsmen pinned on it with contact info....

13 minutes ago, Greg_D said:

Jerry Manthey, sponsored by MAPA, would perform quality basic Mooney maintenance seminars across the country.  Jerry also contributed an “ask Jerry “ maintenance article in the monthly MAPA Log. 

19 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

We need to get a map of the USA on here with all the true Mooney craftsmen pinned on it with contact info....

Hmmm... interesting idea.

With that in mind, I've added a few to the MooneySpace map I'm maintaining. I'm happy to take suggestions for shops to add to the map. 

As always, if you want to have access to the map, but don't, send me a PM and make sure you have a city or airport listed in your profile under Location.

4 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Hmmm... interesting idea.

With that in mind, I've added a few to the MooneySpace map I'm maintaining. I'm happy to take suggestions for shops to add to the map. 

As always, if you want to have access to the map, but don't, send me a PM and make sure you have a city or airport listed in your profile under Location.

please add Lance Yomtob to the list of old school mechanics who can fix and fabricate stuff.....he did a lot of SBs on my plane he is at VNY Van Nuys (661) 305-9200‬ he also knows how to rebuild the manual hydraulic pump and knows what a Johnson bar is etc etc.....only a few MSC can work on those....

• Like 1

Near Jacksonville Florida  Brain Kraut. he fixed my mooney landing gear after a MSC dorked it up. Also fixed an electrical issue that was created by same MSC. And fixed my oil cooler issue by same MSC. 

lots of fabrication equipment on site  

(904) 536-1780

airport 7FL4 haller air park. 

brian@eamanufacturing.com

12 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

Near Jacksonville Florida  Brain Kraut. he fixed my mooney landing gear after a MSC dorked it up. Also fixed an electrical issue that was created by same MSC. And fixed my oil cooler issue by same MSC. 

lots of fabrication equipment on site  

(904) 536-1780

airport 7FL4 haller air park. 

brian@eamanufacturing.com

What MSC was that?

• 2 weeks later...