2008 Acclaim Tire rubbing

The tire is rubbing on the inner gear door (you can barely see the shiny area on the gear door)  I just noticed this. Never have seen this before. It appears that there is plenty of clearance from the inner gear door. Its happening to both sides. I usually tap the brakes before retracting gear after takeoff. I follow gear extension/retraction speeds. Thought maybe air is pushing the gear door toward tire during landing?? Has anyone seen this before?

IMG_8442.jpg

IMG_8445.jpg

Edited by Aspen2013
clarify

Check how many washers are present between the inside of the gear door and the lower part of the strut (circled in blue).  Typically - depending on how the doors are rigged when the airplane is on jacks - there are usually between 3 and 5 washers present here to provide adequate spacing.  My guess is that your doors are fitting too tight against the bottom of the aircraft when the airplane is jacked up and the gear is retracted.  Ask your A&P to check this fit, and add washers (AN960-416) as needed.  Keep in mind that each side may require a different number of washers, as the fit may be different between the left and right doors.

image.png.aae068ea28bfe13704885e2bfd84bdeb.png

• Like 1

Since it just started that may be a great first step is checking air pressure. If that bulge travels around before it dissipates it wouldn’t take much of a bulge to close that gap. 

no work has been done on the landing gear

Edited by Aspen2013
Update

I do check tire pressures regularly (Qtrly) especially as temps decrease in winter and add a little air.  They checked in today at 38 psi left and 40 right. Brought them back up to 42 psi. flew again and no difference.  Put a little white grease so I can see if it rubbed. Next I will pull it around on the ground with tug and see if it is on the ground type thing or after wheels leave the ground.

wheel 1.jpg

wheel 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looks awfully close...

If tire pressure is making them rub...

Compare to any other Mooney around...

Now I have to wonder if mine does the same thing, without me noticing...  :)

See if @M20Doc has some guidance on the normal distance between the tire and gear door...

Expect rubbing is not a good thing as that would also damage a tire...

Best regards,

-a- 

Well hopefully everyone does a visual. They might not get within 2 psi. That’s pretty good. I definitely can tell when low. Helped a buddy out today who has Cessna and he had been missing a low tire on preflight. Asked him what he thought. I guess he said maybe a little low. It turned out to be 16 psi! Not sure everyone can tell ?  If you get a good sight picture of normal then it becomes easier. 

6 hours ago, PT20J said:

Standard tubes need air monthly or more often. I switched to Michelin Airstops and they only need 1 - 2 psi every few months. 
Skip

Yep, me three. Great product, except the tubes cost as much as the tires!

• Haha 1

On 7/12/2020 at 4:21 PM, Aspen2013 said:

I do check tire pressures regularly (Qtrly) especially as temps decrease in winter and add a little air.  They checked in today at 38 psi left and 40 right. Brought them back up to 42 psi. flew again and no difference.  Put a little white grease so I can see if it rubbed. Next I will pull it around on the ground with tug and see if it is on the ground type thing or after wheels leave the ground.

wheel 1.jpg

wheel 2.jpg

The rubbing is only going to occur with a combination of low tire pressure and a firm landing. Or normal tire pressure, and an aircraft carrier arrival...