Time for new engine

bbakerco

Just now, Shadrach said:

how did the 2500hr engine look upon disassembly?

I haven't seen enough disassembled engines to comment, but there were no issues with the crank or the case. New ECi Titan cylinders turned out to be a giant PitA, with a 50-hour recurring AD. Which means that owner oil changes now realistically can't be done without having an A&P perform a compression test every time. 

So the 2500hr decision was completely arbitrary (essentially thinking "well, that's 500 free hours - don't get greedy"), and now it burns more oil with worse compression and a recurring AD ...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Got, it. Pistons, rings, valves are no longer part of the engine and can be sent to any accessory shop. Which begs the question, why is the ECi cylinder AD listed under the engines rather than by themselves?

It’s clear that you’re not obtuse in spite of your best efforts to demonstrate otherwise. You obviously know that a failed rod bearing means that the case will be split while a bad cylinder is simply removed and replaced. No one said pistons rings and valves weren’t part of the engine. If you want to play semantics over the term “accessories”  by all means, enjoy.  But you know exactly the point that was being made.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

If used engines are so much more reliable than new engines, why don’t airframe manufactures offer new airframes with used engines?

Clarence

Good point!

reminds me how “distressed” jeans became a fad and people were buying horrible bare threaded faded hobo jeans for top fashion dollar.

we need the same for engines.  Distressed engines.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Good point!

reminds me how “distressed” jeans became a fad and people were buying horrible bare threaded faded hobo jeans for top fashion dollar.

we need the same for engines.  Distressed engines.

I'll take some of that!  I'll install a new IO-360 on my plane for $35,000.  I'll put about 300 hours on it to 'distress it' and then I'll sell it for $45,000.  What do you think?  Any takers?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

I'll take some of that!  I'll install a new IO-360 on my plane for $35,000.  I'll put about 300 hours on it to 'distress it' and then I'll sell it for $45,000.  What do you think?  Any takers?

Hey!  That was my idea now!

30 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

That's "pre-loved!" You need to distress that engine--fly it hard for 1200 hours, then sell it for $45K!

• Like 3

Just now, Hank said:

That's "pre-loved!" You need to distress that engine--fly it hard for 1200 hours, then sell it for $45K!

No you need to charge $45k if it’s a 300 hour distressed engine but a cool $60k if you want the “1200 hr pre-loves” package. I mean we pre-lovers need to cover the fuel bill right - it’s only fair to pass that on to the customer. 

3 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

A new one for “only” $35k?!  I wish.

10 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

I think that Lycoming will have the market on distressed engines cornered already.

Clarence

On 7/18/2020 at 10:45 AM, bradp said:

That’s a cylinder issue.  Which is an engine accessory.  Many cylinders don’t make it to 1000 hrs let alone 3000 hrs.  Cylinders should be considered separately.  Ask any IO-5X0 owner.  

I would much rather have an engine that needed cylinders than one with low oil pressure or making metal.

• Like 1