Engine out on takeoff at 400'

robert7467

12 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Add to the discussion...

who else is in the pattern with you...

and what other straight ahead or less challenging fields are available...

+1 For getting off the centerline.

+1 For the video posted above.  Each turn uses up so much energy...

+1 for stay fast while flying and turning... Stall horn on is not fast...

+1 for going slow while landing...

Invite @chrixxer to the conversation...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

++++more than one on all topics listed...... of course, all things being relative on the offset departure..... what will the offset possibly interfere with?  I still like it when applicable and in a non-interfering basis. 

How come I never thought of that before? <_<

3 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

what will the offset possibly interfere wit

At some airports (e.g., my airport), there are commercial buildings on either side of the extended centerline, and nothing but approach lights straight ahead. So if you're not high enough for the turn, landing straight ahead could be far more interesting if you're offset than if you're aligned. 

Just now, toto said:

At some airports (e.g., my airport), there are commercial buildings on either side of the extended centerline, and nothing but approach lights straight ahead. So if you're not high enough for the turn, landing straight ahead could be far more interesting if you're offset than if you're aligned. 

It doesn't take much to get back aligned with the runway if the engine fails before you can make the 180...  the bank will be a shallow 20 degrees back toward the runway and then another shallow turn to line back up. 

I should make it more clear.... this is not prudent at EVERY airport in EVERY circumstance... that I why I said "when possible"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Austintatious said:

It doesn't take much to get back aligned with the runway if the engine fails before you can make the 180...  the bank will be a shallow 20 degrees back toward the runway and then another shallow turn to line back up. 

I should make it more clear.... this is not prudent at EVERY airport in EVERY circumstance... that I why I said "when possible"

Understand. 

54 minutes ago, robert7467 said:

My new instructor (he is not doing my IFR, just helping me with advanced techniques) also does aerobatics and glider. I am going to go on some aerobatic lessons. I am thinking some aerobatic time and some time in a glider will go a long way. 

I agree, both those are on my list. 

4 minutes ago, Austintatious said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that it's not a good idea - I think it's clever. I was just responding to the question "what will the offset interfere with?" and was pointing out that in certain airport environments there are obstacles on either side of the extended centerline.