Hangar Rental

I just saw the thread on hangars around Austin and was curious what others are paying in the Houston area.  I am currently in one of the older T hangars at KDWH.  Rent is $400/month there.  They just opened up a new row and my name is on the list to move once they are completed.  The new units will go for $500/month.  They aren't much more than a basic T hangar with sliding doors, but the new units are in much better condition than the older units which have numerous leaks in the ceilings and collect standing water several inches deep when it rains hard.  Additionally, the older units have pot holes and lots of rocks, pebbles, FOD along the taxiways.  I just got an email notification that one of the end units in the new row came open, but they want $734/month for that one.  Ouch!

I often wonder about where the breaking point is on hangar rents. At what point does an aircraft owner decide that it just isn’t worth it anymore? I could rent a twin for two hours every month for what I pay for hangar rent, insurance and annual inspection. Airports might be better served by offering more attractive / affordable hangar rent to attract more aircraft to the field and promote more active flying. This could result in more fuel and oil sales, more maintenance and part sales. 

It is possible to find more reasonable hangar rents at smaller more rural fields but it sure does help to live there.

Most airports have a long waiting list. They literally are leaving money on the table. So I guess instead of building another hangar they just up the prices?
I rationalize the hangar fees by also using it as a storage unit, having a place to do maintenance which saves money, and not having exposed to the elements saves additional money on maintenance.

I miss my hangar at Sun 'n Fun in Lakeland.  $150/month plus tax back in 2013 and you get 11/12 of the months you pay for.  Just took the plane to Maxwell for the month we had to be out.

It's a real consideration here.  The closest GA airport to me is Addison which is over $500/mo for a hangar which isn't affordable for me at the present time.

35 minutes away in good traffic I can have a hangar at LNC for a little more than $200/mo but that's a weekend or late evening flying only option as that drive from north Dallas through south Dallas in rush hour would be far too much.