Aithre Illyrian and P2 audio advisory system

AUWDE

I have seen a few mentions of these  items on the MS site. But could not find an in depth discussion. After looking at the respective company websites the products appear to be pretty solid (but that’s why the marketing guys put it on the websites). 

Is there much experience with the aithre O2 monitor with or without also using the CO monitor (either the installed “edot” or the portable)? 

https://aithreaviation.com/collections/all

Same question on the P2 audio advisory. With the modern NC headsets I would think a system that alerts though the headset would be superior. 

https://www.p2inc.com/audioadvisory.asp

I still don’t have a plane, but hopefully soon. My OCD and concerns for safety ( CO, hypoxia, and gear up are major avoidable problems from reading here and other published information) have made these two items interesting to me. 

If you use them do you like them? Are there other items similar that you would recommend? 

Thank you 

For CO monitoring, many of us use Sensorcon units. Some are clipped onto shoulder belts, some velcroed to panels or even ceilings. They have a pretty good discount going too, if you search for it here. 20%?

• Like 1

I used some cheap portable CO sensor in a Cessna I flew.  I tested it using a gas stove and it seemed to work.  Questionable if it would be sensitive enough at higher altitudes...I figured it would've warned me prior to takeoff well enough.  Cost was 20 bucks.  Take the battery out when not in use.  Be aware CO is often from opening up cabin heat, I lived in a hot area so I wasn't as concerned.

The P2 system is good from what I have heard.  There's this other system that uses a radar to sense the ground at 100 feet, http://www.flyingsafer.com/p-n-2037.html.  Cheaper but would require the doppler system to be installed on the belly.  Not sure how well it works out.

Others have suggested just using GPS altitude warnings on Foreflight, annunciations and what not.  Obviously these wouldn't detect the gear position but could be a reminder source.

I have the P2 advisory system installed in my J.  It was installed by a previous owner.  I like it. It is re-assuring to hear a voice in your headset on short final "Gear is down for landing". It is speed based, so if you are practicing slow flight with the gear up, the voice in your headset gets pretty annoying quite quickly.  

Oh.... that AU.  Not AUDI.... :)

P2 everyone is moving towards adding verbal cues to their warnings...

because the human brain is fallible under some conditions, like during the landing phase...

CO monitors with alarms get used continuously.... because once CO starts getting emitted into the Cabin.... it can get exponentially worse in a matter of minutes... At any time during the flight...

High power is tough on exhaust systems...

Simple oxygen sensors for the finger tip are common practice... higher O2 saturation levels are better than lower ones...  knowing your number is better than trying to figure it out later...

Everyone is different... having the instruments to find out makes it a bit more scientific...

O2 systems are good to have as well...

Best regards,

-a-

19 minutes ago, warren.huisman said:

I have the P2 advisory system installed in my J.  It was installed by a previous owner.  I like it. It is re-assuring to hear a voice in your headset on short final "Gear is down for landing". It is speed based, so if you are practicing slow flight with the gear up, the voice in your headset gets pretty annoying quite quickly.  

I would second this.  Mine also has an overspeed warning.  I'm not sure I would buy one at today's price, but it's nice to have.

I had the P2 Audio system installed into my airplane immediately after purchase over 10 years ago, as I transitioned from my fixed gear Diamond Da40 to this retractable gear Mooney.  There had been a gear up recently locally, where our local 15,000 hr DPE did a gear up right seat testing a 1000hr commercial pilot in a light twin and I figured if they could make that mistake anyone can (and that is still true!). I figured that a tone is nice as a gear warning but better the P2 audio audible in English - a frantic lady's voice saying "Check Gear! Check Gear!" or a soothing voice "Gear is down".  Nothing is full proof if someone insists on being a fool -but I do feel it is a big help.  I highly recommend it.

Hank -War eagle. The plane will be based at kmgm. I have two boys at AU. 

thanks for the feedback on the P2. We will strongly consider this option as all fixed gear to this point. Once we have the plane home and if we go with it we will definitely give feedback. Aviotoreb and Warren.huisman thanks for the user feedback. 

2 hours ago, AUWDE said:

Hank -War eagle. The plane will be based at kmgm. I have two boys at AU. 

thanks for the feedback on the P2. We will strongly consider this option as all fixed gear to this point. Once we have the plane home and if we go with it we will definitely give feedback. Aviotoreb and Warren.huisman thanks for the user feedback. 

Don't be a stranger, I'm at KALX. Come over, I'll take you into town for lunch. Probably a good 20-min flight . . . 

I'm an alum, Mech Eng. Picked up a buddy at AUO this morning, went for walking barbecue lunch at Sylacauga (KSCD?) Watch the gliders there, one launched after we landed, and we watched two launch before departing.

Edited by Hank

I have the P2 system and would highly recommend it.  The "Gear is down for landing" warning is reassuring, but one can just hear it and not give it much thought given that is is a reassurance and not a warning, but the lady saying "Check Gear, Check gear" does get your attention.   It alarms at about 86 kts.  It can also be used as a pre-stall switch if you inadvertently get slow as it will alarm, making you look at the yellow light, and recognize that you are slow and not landing, correct your speed and push the yellow light to silence the alarm.  As for gear alarms, it is always ready to tell you the gear is not down if <86 kts.

John Breda

• Like 1