SOLD- M20J Yokes & Shafts $1,650

Removed from a 1979 J Model. Pilots Trim switch is included. Good overall condition, the co-pilots Mooney emblem cover does have small crack in the plastic. These are not a direct swap without the elevator control yoke and universals from a donor airplane, so I have revised this listing to include one of those yokes as well (removed from the same donor airplane as the yokes/shafts).  Great opportunity for someone to upgrade their yokes/shafts in a vintage bird and also eliminate an AD. My apologies some of the pics are sideways- they are right side up in my computer so not sure why they are being skewed. Price does not include shipping. 

543750415_fv91pzR4S9a06IWtLj9jQ.thumb.jpg.9dcb0760a62c1f7499e94af577449ff0.jpgEda6jXN1Say1yysoKFvA9A.thumb.jpg.adcb08a8ffde8d94130408666bc4882c.jpg

gEh3IattQu+yoHvnO9LBDg.jpg

v%+kFjk7Qay2uXozgvD2Pg.jpg

keFYb8tuTyqGA1Y4x2As9A.jpg

68Y5XkUERbGzqAj6bNBViQ.jpg

X7mKxdxRTVCEFldQV4ArbQ.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

A few notes for those thinking of doing this. It has been repeated there there are two different size shafts. There is only one size OD, they are all 0.75". However, there are two different thicknesses of shafts. The older birds have shafts with a wall of 0.04 and the newer ones have a wall of 0.06.

Also, take note of where the "half-circle" piece on the end is located. On the older planes it is on the top of the shaft, where on these you see it is 90° over on the side of the shaft. This is significant in the way the yoke (not to be confused with the control wheel that we typically call the yoke) mounts to the control shafts. If you have an older plane you would either have to drill your old shaft for the new wheels to mount on them as the bolt goes through horizontal, or change out the yoke and everything else under the panel. That is unless you are able to find shafts from an early J/K. Those part numbers are 710072-507 and 710072-508.

Take a look at how the control on the end of the yoke circled in blue mounts vertically up into the control shaft on the older planes.

Blueprint.thumb.jpg.a77e59f84d927b88aae56ff5ed0aef56.jpg

The ones the OP has fit the newer style yoke and mount from the side, see the pic of the yoke below. I am not sure what year that change took place.

Yoke.thumb.jpg.b7e9c14a81fc1f1b1be67736f72f9c14.jpg

The ones the OP has are nice and are a huge upgrade to the control wheels on the older planes. The upgrade can be done on the old planes, but it isn't going to be a straight swap out without some additional pieces.

• Like 2

To help facilitate the conversation... N6758N stopped over at my airport and looked over my yoke installation. My yokes were upgraded in 1998 using the factory upgrade kit. My yokes came with the blueprint drawings that Skates97 is showing in his post. I believe I understand what is going on. The blueprints are showing the yokes installed in my plane. I believe those were the current yokes and shafts available in 1998.  

When I saw N6758N’s yokes, I believe this were yokes from the early J models. I took this picture of a friend’s yoke collar and it looks like the one posted above. His plane is a 1979 J.

IMG_0603.thumb.JPG.deb44a28466d301d847e543df6c179f2.JPG

The same yoke mount in my plane:

IMG_0607.thumb.JPG.2df4ce1cccd6a0f5be1246f212834986.JPG

What I am wondering is if either the correct shafts from the blueprints can be purchased and will they fit this vintage of yoke or if there is another adapter configuration that works to allow this style yoke shaft to attach to pre-J models. The other option (if it is still available) is to purchase the $6k kit from Mooney.

Edited by Marauder
  • Like 1

Hey everyone. I've been doing a little bit of research into making these fit vintage birds 1977 and earlier. It looks like the key difference in how the yoke shafts attach to the controls is this little universal. I've attached a picture of it, PN is 710066-501.I think these can be bolted to the existing control shaft and allow it to be attached to the new yoke shafts. I also took some pics of my airplane ( 68' C ) with the new shafts below it so you can see the difference. Here is a link to the part that would be needed to complete the installation 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/710065-501-Mooney-M20J-Elevator-Control-Yoke-Assy/233645690256?hash=item36665e4d90:g:P6oAAOSwZOBfCJJI@Vance Harral

PC180096-20191218-115734.JPG

zOyOKmSoSFSuQsQPU2q0zw.jpg

1TiWgMWyTDqojjVBByPrzA.jpg

I+MEWzhLSRCLsbcxBaPQ8Q.jpg

v0ZndjIkS%i9zYQ4xrjJiA.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N6758N said:

Hey everyone. I've been doing a little bit of research into making these fit vintage birds 1977 and earlier. It looks like the key difference in how the yoke shafts attach to the controls is this little universal. I've attached a picture of it, PN is 710066-501.I think these can be bolted to the existing control shaft and allow it to be attached to the new yoke shafts. I also took some pics of my airplane ( 68' C ) with the new shafts below it so you can see the difference. Here is a link to the part that would be needed to complete the installation 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/710065-501-Mooney-M20J-Elevator-Control-Yoke-Assy/233645690256?hash=item36665e4d90:g:P6oAAOSwZOBfCJJI@Vance Harral

PC180096-20191218-115734.JPG

I think you are correct. I bought the control wheels/shafts from Christoph that he was selling from his M20R. When I got them I noticed the differences. I contacted him again and purchased the rest of the pieces under the panel, including the yoke which has those attached to the ends. Those pieces are still en-route to me. Once I get those the first thing we will try is to just change out the wheels/shafts and those end pieces which the manual calls "BOLT ASSEMBLY, CONTROL SHAFT" and the part number you list. Hopefully that will work, if not I have the rest of the pieces and we can change everything out. I'm happy to report back on what I find in the process. All I can say right now is the way the newer style control wheels feel in the hand compared to the older ones is great!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

I think you are correct. I bought the control wheels/shafts from Christoph that he was selling from his M20R. When I got them I noticed the differences. I contacted him again and purchased the rest of the pieces under the panel, including the yoke which has those attached to the ends. Those pieces are still en-route to me. Once I get those the first thing we will try is to just change out the wheels/shafts and those end pieces which the manual calls "BOLT ASSEMBLY, CONTROL SHAFT" and the part number you list. Hopefully that will work, if not I have the rest of the pieces and we can change everything out. I'm happy to report back on what I find in the process. All I can say right now is the way the newer style control wheels feel in the hand compared to the older ones is great!

And you are going to love the new yokes. I had the Mongo style yokes found on the 1975 models. Really great for hanging on in turbulence but were horrible for adding all of the switches for the new avionics out there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the information. I am pretty confident now that the elevator yoke PN 610065-501 and the universals/bolts that attached to it need to be swapped in order to use the new yokes/shafts. Now, someone buy my yokes and the part listed above on eBay before I do and have to raise the price of these yokes!

1 minute ago, N6758N said:

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the information. I am pretty confident now that the elevator yoke PN 610065-501 and the universals/bolts that attached to it need to be swapped in order to use the new yokes/shafts. Now, someone buy my yokes and the part listed above on eBay before I do and have to raise the price of these yokes!

My suspicion is that the yoke will have to be changed. With those coming off the yoke sideways into the shafts instead of up into the shaft I think it will change how everything lines up. My "hope" is that I only have to change the ends as that is less involved, but we shall see. I will provide an update after I get the parts. 

If I was still in the market for them I would just buy yours and the yoke off Ebay. At the least they will need the ends, and if they need the yoke then they have it as well. For those of you with the older style control wheels, if you held yours in one hand and Terry's in the other you would be sold, there really is no comparison. As a bonus you can do away with the recurring AD to check the shafts.

• Like 1

Bump- I have revised the listing to include all parts that should be needed to swap these into a vintage bird (see first post). AND before someone calls me out on it- Yes- I did raise the price of the whole kit, as I had to pay for the new part from the donor airplane. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2020 at 12:29 AM, Skates97 said:

With the control wheels, shafts, and the yoke that Terry is offering you will have everything you need to swap them out. I just did this today on my plane.

Thanks again Richard! Bump for new lowered price. 

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Matthew P said:

Could you not have just removed the Horn from the shaft and put the new horn on the old shaft?

No,

New and old Control wheels (and corresponding shafts) have different orientation of the mounting bolts.