Dynon up-grade progress

It's not done yet but wanted to share progress on the Dynon up-grade.  Ignore the right side of the radio stack - that will be a future 7" Dynon display for the engine monitoring system.  Also ignore the black panel under the radio stack - that will be a gray panel when I do the engine monitor.  I'm doing this progressively - waiting for Dynon to certify the autopilot for the Mooney, when that's certified the right side will be done.  There's a blanking plate where the AP controls will go.  Note that there are some Garmin products in the radio stack, which play well with Dynon (I hope!) - I did not want the wrath of Don Kaye coming down on me :) (just kidding, Don).  So far, so good.  I'll post a more complete PIREP when it's done and flying.

270172228_231MJDynonProgress.jpg.470582ab8ed4d3584d762186a6efa7f5.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rbridges said:

Nice.  I thought dynon displayed the engine monitor on the 10".  Did you just want a cleaner field on the PFD?  BTW, do you know how the Dynon AP plays with other units, or is it a Dynon only setup like Garmin?

You can put the engine monitor on the 10" display (on the bottom of the display is where I have seen it most often) but it looks too crowded (to me) and a full PFD and map seems appealing plus the 7" display can be back-up to the 10" display.  The AP is not Dynon only and to be IRF legal you need to have a different navigator - that's why I have the SL30 and GPS 175.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2020 at 2:45 PM, rbridges said:

Nice.  I thought dynon displayed the engine monitor on the 10".  Did you just want a cleaner field on the PFD?  BTW, do you know how the Dynon AP plays with other units, or is it a Dynon only setup like Garmin?

Most of the time the Engine monitor goes on the bottom band.   But it is configurable, Full Screen halfs, or halfs with bottom band.    You don't need the Dynon A/P to play with other units.   Just need certified IFR approach source.  The A/P is part of the Dynon System.  Just add the servos and the Software does the rest.   Now there is a seperate A/P Panel that can be added.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 3:14 PM, 231MJ said:

It's not done yet but wanted to share progress on the Dynon up-grade.  Ignore the right side of the radio stack - that will be a future 7" Dynon display for the engine monitoring system.  Also ignore the black panel under the radio stack - that will be a gray panel when I do the engine monitor.  I'm doing this progressively - waiting for Dynon to certify the autopilot for the Mooney, when that's certified the right side will be done.  There's a blanking plate where the AP controls will go.  Note that there are some Garmin products in the radio stack, which play well with Dynon (I hope!) - I did not want the wrath of Don Kaye coming down on me :) (just kidding, Don).  So far, so good.  I'll post a more complete PIREP when it's done and flying.

270172228_231MJDynonProgress.jpg.470582ab8ed4d3584d762186a6efa7f5.jpg

I have seen dramatically different stories about Dynon costs, despite that dynon has posted a cost spreadsheet on their website.  

Can you say how many hours you figure that project we are looking on takes, re the screen, and the autopilot and  I suppose remove the old autopilot?  Hardware we can look up the costs.

It's going to be about 70 hours.  That included removing the old avionics (autopilot, stormscope, MX20, GX50, standby vacuum and all the round dials).  I installed the Garmin GTX335 myself and while the install was successful, it took many hours so I'm satisfied with the 70 hours the shop is taking to do this up-grade.  

• Like 1