Tools, can you every have too many?

Not real sure if this is right place, but here goes. A buddy just got an Optical Center Punch which is awesome for those that have trouble center punching on the layout lines. There are several brands available and get pricey but if your holes aren’t coming out where you want them it’s worth the money

image.jpeg.3fd51fc08cc4a3592438ad5764c4cb28.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/16/2020 at 8:54 PM, Yetti said:

It's art form and technique. You can also scribe your layout lines and that helps. Same with layout fluid.  you can feel the line with the tip of the punch.

I’ve seen stuff laid out with a sharpie, the intersecting lines are larger than the hole needed to be drilled. I use a sharpie as dye on most things, then an Exacto for the scribe, quick and easy.

3 hours ago, RLCarter said:

I’ve seen stuff laid out with a sharpie, the intersecting lines are larger than the hole needed to be drilled. I use a sharpie as dye on most things, then an Exacto for the scribe, quick and easy.

The blue layout fluid has more thickness.   And if you use a real scribe it creates a line that you can feel with the end of the punch.  With or without the fluid.  The fluid makes the feel more noticeable. Drag the punch across the line at a 30 degree angle, feel the bump bump at the x.  Stand the punch up and hit it.  It's a feel and sight thing.

I do use the dye on bigger projects,  but for just a couple holes the sharpie does the trick. I always tell who is going to drill or cut “those lines are not suggestions, please use them” :)

2 hours ago, RLCarter said:

I do use the dye on bigger projects,  but for just a couple holes the sharpie does the trick. I always tell who is going to drill or cut “those lines are not suggestions, please use them” :)

The it is just trying to remember if you cut inside the line, on the line, outside the line.   Then dremel tool :-) Hammer to fit paint to match.

• Like 1