M20 crash at Buena Vista Airport 7.7.2020

3 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

If anyone knows the pilot and particularly how to contact his wife, please let me know.

"The plane came to rest at the end of the runway and the pilot was able to escape the wreckage by himself.

The pilot was originally taken to a nearby hospital and then airlifted to a regional burn center. The pilot has not been publicly identified."

"BUENA VISTA, Colo. — A small plane crashed on take off at the Central Colorado Regional Airport in Buena Vista located in Chaffee County, according to the airport's manager Jack Wyles. 

Wyles said the pilot was flying a small, single-engine Mooney plane, when he tried to take off around 2 p.m. on Tuesday. "

Mike, you might be able to coax that info out of Jack Wyles, the airport manager:

Manager:  JACK WYLES
27960 COUNTY ROAD 319
BUENA VISTA, CO 81211
Phone 719-395-3496
ALTERNATE PHONE 719-966-9098
  • Like 1

Thanks, most of the time, the airport goes into a gag order mode when we have reached out in the past, as they know lawsuits usually follow any accident. I have had a small bit of luck emailing reporters in the past and ask if they would forward the Mooney Summit's contact info to the family after they vet us. The best method is obviously another pilot reaching out to us. I have unsuccessfully tried to exploit my relationship with Bruce Landsberg in the past, as he would violate his clearance and be compromised to divulge, but I thought I would ask if there was a channel via the NTSB. In any event, speed is not of the essence as much as information accuracy is.

Paul, this is now your neck of the stolen land, any info?

I drove through Buena Vista on the 6th and was out flying my Mooney this morning. (Teaching my 13 year old nephew to fly.) So this is the first I've heard of this unfortunate situation. All the Mooneys I know based here at KBJC are accounted for.

Looks like the prelim NTSB is out.  I'm really surprised the temp was only 78F.  CO is in the middle of one of the worst heat spells in years.  We've been triple digits this week on the front range.

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/ReportGeneratorFile.ashx?EventID=20200707X80954&AKey=1&RType=HTML&IType=LA

On July 7, 2020, about 1344 mountain daylight time, a Mooney M20TN airplane, Canadian registered C-GTVS, was substantially damaged when it was involved in an accident at the Central Colorado Regional Airport, Buena Vista, Colorado. The pilot was seriously injured. The airplane was operated as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight.

A witness, who was located at the airport, reported that he observed the airplane takeoff from runway 15 with no problems noted. The airplane then suddenly impacted the runway surface. A post crash fire ensued. The witness responded to the accident location to assist the pilot.

Postaccident examination of the airplane revealed the fuselage cockpit and cabin area, and forward right wing were consumed by fire. Flight control continuity was established to all flight control surfaces.

A Toronto based Acclaim?

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/ccarcs-riacc/ADet.aspx?id=531510&rfr=RchSimp.aspx

Data scrubbed from the tail number given in the report...  (Could be inaccurate...)

See if @M20Doc knows this plane...

Kathryn posted the following...

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2020/07/mooney-m20tn-c-gtvs-accident-occurred.html

PP thoughts only, stuff I picked up from the internet...

Best regards,

-a-

3 hours ago, carusoam said:

A Toronto based Acclaim?

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/ccarcs-riacc/ADet.aspx?id=531510&rfr=RchSimp.aspx

Data scrubbed from the tail number given in the report...  (Could be inaccurate...)

See if @M20Doc knows this plane...

Kathryn posted the following...

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2020/07/mooney-m20tn-c-gtvs-accident-occurred.html

PP thoughts only, stuff I picked up from the internet...

Best regards,

-a-

I do know the airplane, not one I take care of though.  Based not far from Toronto.

Clarence

Just now, aviatoreb said:

I’m confused / a Toronto based Mooney in Colorado?  I thought the us-Canada border is closed right now.

Somewhat closed, flight crew are exempt.

Clarence

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

No kidding - so we can fly across ga as our own flight crew in our mooneys if we wanted?

As I understand it, yes for business travel only.

Clarence

• 5 weeks later...

I have spoke to David Seyschell today, he is well and recovering in Toronto. I have invited him to the next Mooney Summit to describe what happened. Suffice it to say It could have been prevented. Train well train often. The Bill Gilliland foundation has sent some financial support in spite of David's humility of not wanting to accept it to save it for those more in need. Thanks to all our wonderful contributors and especially those whom have recently donated in Bob Belville's honor for just such a purpose.

Get well David, God's speed Bob.

• Like 10

Welcome to Mooney Space David! I think I speak for everyone here when I say we very happy that you are with us and doing well.  I’m sure others will share their well wishes too. 

In terms of your accident, it’s really only my (or our) business to the extent we can learn something that may prevent a similar incident in the future.  I’d invite you to share as much or little about the event as you feel comfortable given that I’m sure the investigation is ongoing...

Edited by Davidv
  • Like 4