Side window options

m100psi

Hi all,

My '78 J is up for its first annual with me, and I thought this may be a good time to replace the sort of foggy, green side windows.  The windshield is fairly new and grey.  I've seen a few comments in various posts about 3/16" vs. 1/4", grey vs. darkened, right side window, etc.  Does anyone who has already gone through this have a list of the different options available for windows?

Thanks,
Matt

1) Clear... allows too much heat in, in direct sunlight...

2) light gray... modern day look...

3) dark gray... great for back seat and TX Sun...

4) Green... back in the 60s look.

5) Adding tint works pretty well also... ask Richard.

Everyone of these options is good for somebody...

I like the light gray...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I replaced my old green crazed side windows a couple of years ago myself and used 3/16 solar grey on the front and dark tint for the rear.   Not only does it look more modern but is noticibly cooler in the summer heat. 

11 minutes ago, bradp said:

I did 3/16 solar grey with the UV blocker.  Definitely go with the UV block.  It’s worth it.  

Bought a black car last summer, black interior and factory tinted windows. It's much cooler inside when parked at home than my white truck with gray interior and regular windows. 

Driving at night, especially turning, took some getting used to, but it's quite natural now.

Wish my Mooney windows were darker . . . .

17 minutes ago, Hank said:

Bought a black car last summer, black interior and factory tinted windows. It's much cooler inside when parked at home than my white truck with gray interior and regular windows. 

Driving at night, especially turning, took some getting used to, but it's quite natural now.

Wish my Mooney windows were darker . . . .

I’m going to do the @Skates97 method to darken them up a tad and importantly, protect them from the kids, potential for headsets (and heads) leaning against the window, and dog nails that seem to incite anxiety. 

• Like 2

I just did clear all the way around in my F 

1/4” for the front, pilot and door. 3/16” for the rest. 
The rear windows were supposed to be tinted, but GLAP sent me the clear by mistake. I’ll add tint later when I get some spare time. 
Of note- if you’re going thicker, make sure you have R10 screws as the old ones will be too short. 

F022E90F-5F71-4AFC-AAFF-902BA6E367BB.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bradp said:

I’m going to do the @Skates97 method to darken them up a tad and importantly, protect them from the kids, potential for headsets (and heads) leaning against the window, and dog nails that seem to incite anxiety. 

The tint has saved my windows a few scratches from some of the grandkids and other youngsters. It almost acts like the screen protector on your phone. 

16 hours ago, m100psi said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  Is the right side vent option only available from a specific manufacturer?

I don't know about your plane, but on my K, the right window is two layers of plexiglass.