Spark plug socket?

My hangar neighbor has a 7/8" hollow, thin walled, deep socket like tube that is about 4" long.  It isn't really a socket because  you can't put a ratchet on it.  Rather  you put another 7/8" socket or open end wrench on the top.  It is just the right size for removing the top plugs on an O-360 with the doghouse.   This was made by Kobalt.   Lowes says that they no longer offer this item.   I've looked all over for a socket that is long enough to work on spark plugs but haven't found one yet.   Anybody got an extra one of these they would part with?  The Kobalt P/N is 49887.  Apparently they have been out of production for some time.  No joy on ebay or Amazon.

Here's a photo.  The top is about at the top of the photo.   Thanks -Fred

IMG_1098.jpeg

I bought a spark plug socket from Aircraft Spruce several years ago, it works well for my C. Fits my ratchet and my torque wrench just fine. Part of the benefit of visiting Spruce, just tell the nice man what you want . . . . They're just 30 Mooney minutes away.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

I had an old 7/8" very deep Craftsman socket for years.  With the tight baffles on the RV (maybe Mooney too) it was long enough to be a problem getting past the baffle on the top plugs.  One day I realized that it was so long, an inch could be cut off making it fit better.  Measured carefully, worked perfect.  A month later got some new Tempest plugs. My favorite socket would not reach the hex on the plug.  Could not find a socket deep enough for the Tempest plugs. At Sun&Fun, the Tempest rep told me they still had a bunch of long sockets, send him an email.  I did and got an appropriate socket the next week, free of charge.  Had the Unison name imprinted, the plug mfgr. that Tempest bought. It does have wrench flats in addition to the ratchet drive.

P1020082.thumb.JPG.a6df1c5f867ebf75f1a42a6d52e1bcc7.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Lloyd said:

I had an old 7/8" very deep Craftsman socket for years.  With the tight baffles on the RV (maybe Mooney too) it was long enough to be a problem getting past the baffle on the top plugs.  One day I realized that it was so long, an inch could be cut off making it fit better.  Measured carefully, worked perfect.  A month later got some new Tempest plugs. My favorite socket would not reach the hex on the plug.  Could not find a socket deep enough for the Tempest plugs. At Sun&Fun, the Tempest rep told me they still had a bunch of long sockets, send him an email.  I did and got an appropriate socket the next week, free of charge.  Had the Unison name imprinted, the plug mfgr. that Tempest bought. It does have wrench flats in addition to the ratchet drive.

What you describe is my issue too.  My plugs are Tempest.   My neighbor's tool is the only one that will reach.   I'll take your lead and contact Tempest.  Thanks!

One thing I didn't mention about the Kobalt tool shown in the first picture is that it is light weight.  It isn't like a 1.5 lb socket, more like half that.  Lighter weight gives one the ability to travel with more tools.  Of the four options given by @N201MKTurbo, only one will work with Tempest plugs on an O-360  https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/ATSmagSocket.php

Another thing is that the cooling fins on the O-360 are close to the plug, so the max. tool dia. allowable is 1.18"

I went through this with the tempest plugs.  Champion fit fine. It's either the Home depot socket or the Harbor Freight that fit.  or maybe it was the Oxegen Sensor socket from HF.     You can make others fit by drilling out the top or dremel tool.

• Like 1

I never thought a spark plug socket was so difficult to find. I have one from Harbor Freight in my travel kit and is working fine with Tempest plugs (or Champs in the past). The other came from old socket kit (Mastercraft?) I have for years and I never had any problems. YMMV.

I must admit Kobalt is looking good, though. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 8:27 PM, carusoam said:

Sporty’s list one made by CruzTools...

Unfortunately, they don’t have an MS review...

maybe some around here....

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=CruzTools&quick=1

Best regards,

-a-

I have the Cruz tools spark plug socket.  It is well made, thin walled, and worked great for Champion plugs on my IO-360.  I have a Cruz Tools kit on my dirt bike that is well made and thought out.  The owner of Cruz Tools flies a Mooney (was it an E?).  Met and chatted a bit (after I had his tool kit).  

Unfortunately, when I got Tempest plugs, it was too shallow since Tempest has the hex lower down.  I got the Tempest socket from Aircraft Spruce.

-dan

Edited by Bolter
typo
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 1:02 AM, kortopates said:

^ +1. The ATS one is the one to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ordered one.   It seems that the Kobalt tool I covet is a thing of the past...  Thanks to everyone for the input.

• 2 weeks later...