Compass Deviation Card Location?

Are there any guidelines I need to follow?  I have a holder for a card that is about 1” tall and 1 1/2” ’wide.  I’m thinking of mounting the holder with double sided tape.  I might could put it on the left side of the compass but the copilot couldn’t see it.  I don’t want to drill holes, but over time the tape might screw it up as bad if the time comes for it to be moved.

FDFBCE05-F106-42E5-9D7D-4A5ED6ACAAEC.jpeg

Thanks carusoam.  I looked for accessories from the compass manufacturer and can’t find anything.  If I try to put it at the bottom of the compass I won’t have access to the adjusters.  That would be the obvious best location though.

It looks like Airpath has a tendency to hide the adjustment screws with the deviation card holder...

Which means two things...

1) Once calibrated, nobody touches the screws...

2) Nobody is using that device with such precision in ordinary flight regimes including emergency navigation....

3) I’m not sure I use the deviation card with so many GPS devices ringing in...

4) Important for IR training... but not so much after that...

5) I think double stick tape may be used to hold this in place... classic style! :)

6) For extra points... see if you can find a hinged device so the card can be folded out of the way when not using it... 

Rough PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

725B7DB4-B462-482A-9578-71C7F026E2FD.jpeg

Thanks carusoam!  My IR checkride is the only reason I’m doing this so you’re right.  I will look when at the hangar tomorrow.  I am thinking that it will stick fine with that small area of tape and come off later with no trace left behind as long as it doesn’t set in the Sun for a period of time.

I just redid my compass card and stuck it up yesterday.  I made my own in MS Word.    I made it small enough to stick on the flat area above the card, about 3/4” high and 1 1/2” wide.  I laminated it in clear packing tape and used foam mounting tape to stick it to the compass.  I can send you the word.doc if you want and you can plug in your own numbers.  I used several landscape/portrait orientations and font variations until I got something I thought would work.

I should have taken a pic after I stuck it on.  I usually accost my (poor) wifey with detailed pics and intricate stories on what I’m doing when sequestered at the hangar.  Except yesterday I went flying.  The track isn’t from yesterday, though, it’s from last week.  I swung (inflight) the vertical card to the remote compass, which I had swung on the compass rose a few months ago after installation.  I made a couple turns in the hold first, then flew the N - S, E - W headings, adjust to 0 error and removing half the error on the reciprocal.  Then I flew the 30 degree incremental headings and wrote down the plus/minus.  It actually was kinda fun.  Wifey wasn’t impressed,  She thought it was just going in circles.  I’ll verify my inflight swing numbers on the compass rose when it’s not so hot out.

tom

I added a pic of the compass card installed...

AADAE917-43A3-47B2-93E3-D1A4436ADC34.jpeg

C30EE45F-2A0F-4742-9D90-ACAA0EBCB6FC.jpeg

BADEA530-B887-40F7-9213-E82D72A89EDA.jpeg

Edited by 47U
Add a pic.

The deviation card is required to be there.  I do not think I have ever referenced a deviation card my entire flying career.

Early years of short VFR flights I was usually in areas I was familiar with and could look out the window or used VORs.  I knew where I was and where I wanted to go.  Now GPS and VORs for longer flights.

My M20F came with the same vertical card compass as above. The deviation card is wrapped around the structural tube above the compass and held by transparent plastic tube split in half and slid over the steel tube. Very elegant solution as it's not obstructing anything but I never really referenced the card in flight...

Both the Mooney and Cessna are just taped in place, at least once a year I find it on the floor due to the S. Tx heat. I have never lost one but I did take a picture should I need to reprint it

Mine is like @carusoam posted above, except the paper is homemade, printed to size from an Excel sheet and "laminated" with packing tape. The bracket is part of the compass.

It works, it's legal, and I don't recall ever referring to it in flight . . . . .

Hey @47U - I'd love that Word doc file, if you don't mind posting it here or sharing via PM.  Please and thank you!

The card for our current whiskey compass is way down low, near the flap and trim position indicators.  A new vertical card compass is going in, though, and your card looks nice and clean.  That file would save me some work. 

1 hour ago, Ross Taylor said:

Hey @47U - I'd love that Word doc file, if you don't mind posting it here or sharing via PM.  Please and thank you!

The card for our current whiskey compass is way down low, near the flap and trim position indicators.  A new vertical card compass is going in, though, and your card looks nice and clean.  That file would save me some work. 

Sure.  The file is very much in 'draft' form... trying different orientations, fonts, etc... hope it helps. 

tom  

Compass_Card_20200627.docx